Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MUP courtesy

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

MUP courtesy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 03:20 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm with PaulRivers on most counts, in that it is difficult to predict how someone is going to react to any kind of generic signal. Here in Phoenix, a bell would just confuse them, causing them to stop and turn around, probably making it more difficult for you to get by. "On your left" has a clear meaning to other cyclists - not so much to a pedestrian - they may not hear it clearly, or hear it clearly and misinterpret. I've evolved to where I basically tell the pedestrians what I would like them to do, which is usually to just keep doing what they are doing. So my calls typically go like this:

"Bike coming by on your left... plenty of room... great... thank you very much!"

If a group is completely blocking the path, I'll slow down more, let them decide how to make room:

"Bike coming through! Ok.. great... thanks a bunch!"

Then there is the group of teenagers walking around after school:

"Bike coming through... Hey... HEY!!! Make a HOLE!" Then they'll move just enough for you squeeze through them, brushing on both sides. No thank you offered to these folks.

Skateboarders? Your life in their hands... no way to make it easy. Ditto for BMXers. Lots of advance directions: "Move to your RIGHT, dude!"

Then their was the rare cyclist going the same direction as me (the more common commute is the other way) that totally ignored the "On your left" by drifting to that side, then responded to "Okay, then on your RIGHT" by drifting that way. So I yelled loader "Dude, can you hear me?" Got no response even though he had already turned around once and of course started pedalling faster (there was a 5mph+ difference in our speeds). So I yelled something like "Pick a side and stay there!" and got past him on the left as fast as I could. I think he was trying to maintain his speed through the curvy area, and just couldn't stay to one side.

My favorites, though, are the ped's that will come from a cross path, looking some other direction than the one they are moving, as they hit the main MUP. WTF?

I'm fortunate - there isn't enough traffic to slow me down or cause delays. I can go as fast as the curves, and my fitness, will let me: 14-20mph for the roughly 6 miles of my commute that is on the paths.
Old 08-02-10, 01:06 PM
paul2432

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use MUPs from time to time both on foot and on bike. On foot, I don't need or desire a warning (bell or otherwise) from approaching cyclists unless they actually need me to do something other than continue straight ahead. Go around and all is good. It puzzles me why so many here are shocked when they get passed by a bike on a MUP.

On the bike I use a similar approach. If I can go around a pedestrian or slower bike, I simply go around.

In the case of dogs or children, I'll usually slow down enough to be able to come to a full stop if needed, get the attention of the parent or pet owner, and then go around.

Paul
Old 08-02-10, 01:31 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't bother with a bell....I'm not a mute and I find that a simple "passing" or "bike passing" or "x bikes passing" works best for me.
MUPs are nice when you are not in a hurry and just out to enjoy the ride, the day and the scenery.

I kinda like veering into the path of muppet racers too....the looks of fear and panic on their wittle faces is priceless!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-02-10, 05:00 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replace cyclist in all of the above with motorist and pedestrian, walker, jogger, etc. with cyclist and most of the above comments would sound much like those driver say about cyclists...
Old 08-02-10, 05:02 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Not in the DC area. The MUP's are heavily used by commuters. My commute wouldn't be possible on the road.

I will add several however:

A: Night MUP users that feel the need to have retina scorching lights but refuse to dim or cover for anther oncoming cyclist.
B: Cyclists in a group that will run three/four abreast and refuse to yield for oncoming traffic. There's a line in the center for a reason.

And last but not least the ******* that won't announce passing because they think everyone's going to jump in their way. Even when the MUP is heavily signed with that as a rule. Obviously that fits some of you here...
+1. I'm late to this thread but it looks like my (evil?) twin posted my thoughts.

I see more 3-4-abreast runners or double wide jog stroller mamas than I do cyclists, but all are equally selfish.
Old 08-02-10, 05:17 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Agree with others who slow give a wide berth to the obviously confused and unpredictable.

After seeing more than one determined, know-where-they're going jogger or walker bang a Crazy Ivan-esque U-turn at random spots into stealth passing bikers, I'm not a fan of the stealth pass. It strikes me as the big sky, little bullet theory of airspace deconfliction. Besides being a bit rude.

I hate "on your left." I agree with those that say it usually works, but I do accept that it lures those occasional contrarians into the kill zone. For that reason, I think the non-denominational "passing" works better. When I am sans bell, that what I use.

My regular commuter has a bell and I use it regularly. About 5 seconds back. I find I do have a voice and it works just fine, but the bell carries better over a greater distance and that distance matters. I don't feel like shouting to project as much as I would have to. I'd rather ring at 5 seconds than speak/shout at 1-2 before pass.

YMMV.
Old 08-26-17, 07:38 AM
Mack3601

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Disk, Genesis GS29

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Muppets are almost all beginners, hence the lack of knowledge regarding courtesy and the lack of experience regarding unpredictable mup users!

The MUP is a jungle, moreso than the road sometimes.
What does MUP stand for?
Old 08-26-17, 08:44 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Multi Use Path, Multiple Use Path, Mutli User Path etc... think bike path with pedestrians and dogs
Old 08-26-17, 08:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Multi Use Path, Multiple Use Path, Mutli User Path etc... think bike path with pedestrians and dogs
To emphasize multi-use: it belongs to the toddler, and his family standing around, just as much as to anyone whizzing by on a bike. They're where they're supposed to be doing what they're supposed to do. Considered a "public park" in some areas.

Very old thread BTW.
Old 08-26-17, 09:38 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
To emphasize multi-use: it belongs to the toddler, and his family standing around, just as much as to anyone whizzing by on a bike. They're where they're supposed to be doing what they're supposed to do. Considered a "public park" in some areas.

Very old thread BTW.
And the issues haven't changed one iota in seven years! Humans!
Old 08-26-17, 09:51 AM
Mack3601

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Disk, Genesis GS29

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton

Very old thread BTW.
I only signed up for this forum a couple of months ago so I have a lot of reading to do. :-)
Old 08-26-17, 03:08 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Mack3601
I only signed up for this forum a couple of months ago so I have a lot of reading to do. :-)
Looks like only another seven years to go through then
Old 08-26-17, 03:10 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40
Can we add dog walkers with those stupid extending leashes? How about speed skaters (roller blades) that are going side to side?

To the OP, in my experience, when saying on your left, they all went left and made everything worse. I make a bunch of noise behind them to get them to turn around and let them figure out everything. It works better for me.
I know I'm replying to a 7 years old thread but that bolded sentence reminded me of the funniest 'incident' I saw in a MUP. A couple were taking both line of the MUP and walking away from me. So I rang my bell. The one on the left went right and the one on the right went left so we ended up where we started. We laughed at the situation and the one on the left moved back right and I thanked them while I passed.
Old 08-27-17, 02:23 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
I know I'm replying to a 7 years old thread but that bolded sentence reminded me of the funniest 'incident' I saw in a MUP. A couple were taking both line of the MUP and walking away from me. So I rang my bell. The one on the left went right and the one on the right went left so we ended up where we started. We laughed at the situation and the one on the left moved back right and I thanked them while I passed.
I haven't been here in about 7 years...I have a new scourge - bike clots on MUPs. So bad here that I stick to the roads and less used MUPs most of my rides.
Old 08-27-17, 06:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
What's a bike clot? Just curious.
Old 08-27-17, 06:50 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
What's a bike clot? Just curious.
I think he means so many people on the MUP that it's dangerous to bike on it. That's the way I took it.
Old 08-27-17, 07:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
I think he means so many people on the MUP that it's dangerous to bike on it. That's the way I took it.
Gotcha, like as in blood clot.
Old 08-28-17, 05:25 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Gotcha, like as in blood clot.
But blood = bikes: too many "bikers", not people in general, is how I read it. It's funny, he was just ambiguous enough that we all interpret it with our own pet peeves and one of mine is is a group of bikes all bunched up, taking up most of the path when they can and going slow. You can't safely get around them.
Old 08-29-17, 04:37 PM
Crashola

Bikes: Old Raleigh Super Course Marin Pine Mountain Surly LHT

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Here's a pic of our local MUP:

Old 08-29-17, 05:40 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Nice!
Old 08-30-17, 09:27 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
With our MUP and its side trails being thoroughly colonized by the outdoor living community it's been ages since I've had to deal with power walkers or stroller pushers.
Old 08-30-17, 09:51 AM
Elessar
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've installed bells on our bikes and use them regularly. Most of those we pass are considerate even if they glare at you for "ringing" the bell like an annoyance. The big problem now, when thinking about the age of this thread, is the use of headphones on the MUP and how as many as 50% of those sharing the path can't/don't/won't hear you at all and place everyone at risk. No amount of ringing or yelling is going to pierce the oblivious haze in which these power walkers are locked into and it's simply a mess. I have allowed myself to ride off the path onto the grass in an effort to maintain a safe distance between my bike and the other user. Some passes can be scary and you can watch them "jump" when startled.
Old 08-30-17, 10:47 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
There's a portion of our local MUP that's much busier than the rest of it. When traveling that section, you just have to prepare to slow down and take your time. Lots of pedestrians in those areas are beginners or tourists and they simply don't expect there to be bicycles or know the general rules. Fortunately for much of that stretch there are two paths side-by-side: A paved path favored by cyclists, and a crushed gravel path favored by pedestrians. Unfortunately that's not a hard and fast rule, so you get gravel grinder cyclists on the stone and pedestrians on the paved portions. But it does spread out the traffic. In this example, the stone path is closer to the river and the concrete path is further from the river.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."