Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Average speed: my frenemy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 09:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I like to monitor average speed, to gauge fitness, performance,

and as a check on fit with other riders & group rides.

Formerly, the number would show up after the ride, but earlier this year I changed to a different head unit

and now it's at the bottom of the main screen.

It is interesting to see how the number changes with hills etc. but I kill myself on rides to bump the speed up a tenth of an mph.

Similar to competing with a buddy or a group & good workout, but also getting kind of compulsive.

Thoughts?
Old 09-02-18, 09:48 PM
Mark VerMurlen

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you account for different wind speeds and direction? A tail wind vs head wind skew my results quite a bit.

Mark
Old 09-02-18, 09:53 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
It's a question that largely answers itself. We can't know what you want out of your rides or training. From some perspectives, it's an absolutely stupid thing to obsess over. Unless you are time trialing, riding the same route repeatedly, the comparisons not that meaningful. People who really care bout measuring their performance generally have power meters and training plans, and the average speed is secondary. In group rides, your speed might chiefly depend on the abilities of the stronger folks who are spending most of the time in front. Put it on a secondary screen if it's getting in the way of your fun. On the other hand, if it pleases you or if it helps you push yourself, then it's your ride - do what you want.

But whatever you do, don't start running stop signs to keep your average up.
Old 09-02-18, 10:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think that average speed is a pretty unreliable indicator of fitness unless you are comparing rides under identical conditions. That definitely does not include group rides. In my experience, average speed on the same group ride can vary significantly from week to week depending on the weather, the time of the season, and mostly who happens to show up to the ride.
Old 09-02-18, 11:58 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i like to do a consistent route in between other rides , i have gained a few koms at lower average speeds than the previous holders , i personally like to focus on total time or at least moving time from start to finish , so if im in the winds i get a consistent range that's about 3 minutes difference , also sometimes i get caught at a light so i try to remember i was at the light for like 2 minutes , but usually i know when i have done good work and got a good time , my average speed is just a bonus , plus its way easier to manipulate avrg speed than your time ..
Old 09-03-18, 02:34 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I ride the same couple of loops pretty regularly and find average speed to be a reasonable indicator of my fitness levels. There are a few things that I try to take into account when riding, such as how much sleep I've had the night before, what MPH the wind is blowing (from weather.com) and how heavy the traffic is. Is it a perfect system? Of course not, but I'm only doing this for fun and some exercise and I am not not willing to invest the $ on a power meter.

Heavy winds, traffic and minimal sleep can seriously affect my speed. When all of those things are favorable, I say "the planets are in alignment" for a great ride.
Old 09-03-18, 03:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I like to monitor average speed, to gauge fitness, performance,

and as a check on fit with other riders & group rides.
Wouldn't it be better to monitor power?
Old 09-03-18, 03:23 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Average speed is for average people.
Old 09-03-18, 04:24 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
A small piece of black electrical tape over the average speed display will solve the compulsion problem!

I use a Wahoo Elemnt and can customize the display in many ways. On most rides I no longer monitor all the various parameters, I just have the route map up - unless the ride is specifically just a training ride. I've found my recreational rides to be more enjoyable if I'm not constantly looking at heart rate, what % of the ride is left, gradient, etc.

But, the Wahoo has a set of vertical LEDs on the left hand side that you can have show current parameter status vs. running average - I actually do use that with average speed. It doesn't show the number but it does gives me enough feedback about actual effort vs. perceived effort to push a bit harder. Others use it for heart rate, or if you have a power meter, power. Nice way to monitor whatever parameter you think is important without enabling "digitus fixatatus"...
Old 09-03-18, 05:04 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I think using average speed is fine. I do have power meters on my bikes, but once in a while I go out on a route and see how fast I can go. Power is all well and good, but if it is not translating into speed, then something is wrong. And yes, when I am fitter, my rides tend to have higher avg. speeds. "But how do you account for hills/stops/wind?!?!?" Well, I account for them by accounting for them. I know that a hilly ride will be slower than a flat ride. It can still be faster or slower than other hilly ride.
Old 09-03-18, 05:12 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan
But whatever you do, don't start running stop signs to keep your average up.
Just learn to brake harder and later.
Old 09-03-18, 05:17 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

Thoughts?
Don't stop pedaling during the ride. Pedal everything, even the downhills.

Bet your speed will increase another couple of tenths without really having to kill yourself much more.
Old 09-03-18, 05:36 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I don't really monitor average speeds to a fraction of a MPH. But, for a couple of my typical commutes, I have a general ideal of what a good speed is, and the sensation of personal effort to achieve those speeds.

I do believe that speed can be a training tool, but it is a major hassle to set a Strava PR with wind, then try to match it later without the aid of wind.
Old 09-03-18, 05:41 AM
rubiksoval

I'll also add that average speed isn't useless, and over the same routes over long amounts of time can certainly be indicative of several things. My average speed when I was 20 to 21 years old was rarely over 19 mph, however now it's rarely under that and my yearly avg speeds are over 20. Technical changes like position and equipment show increases over time. I'll do many, many rides over 20 on wattage that used to get me 19 to 19.5. For any specific ride it won't mean much, but there are certainly visible trends with enough data.
Old 09-03-18, 07:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
If using a garmin, perhaps enable the Virtual Partner function instead..
Old 09-03-18, 08:41 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have to admit that I'm always aware of my average speed during a ride. But, if I'm riding in a group I ignore it. If I'm on a ride with my gf, who shares my basic attitude, we will try to keep a good pace without riding like a TT. When I'm riding solo I tend to be on more of a TT pace. Sometimes I just ride focusing on spin and "suplesse" but TT is my "go to" attitude on a solo ride.
Old 09-03-18, 09:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I too have the dissonant relationship with my average speed-- I know that a big part of it is outside my control, but I still kill myself on some rides trying to keep that number up. If there are a lot of intersections you have to cross, your average speed is going to suffer. It doesn't take more than a couple of stops to really bring the average down. I have numerous lap-routes I do around town that never turn left. I play a game with myself (thanks to a head unit with an excellent map) called "red light, turn right," where I go as long as possible without stopping/unclipping. Even with the slowing for intersections and going into unknown territory, average speed will usually increase ~1.5mph.

Also, speed up hills is far more important than the speed going down them. Say you're climbing a 1 mile long hill (say a 5-6% grade,) and it takes 10 minutes (6mph.) But when you turn around and come back down, it takes 2 minutes (30mph.) That 30mph descent can't make enough of a difference-- it still took 12 minutes to go 2 miles, for an average speed of 10mph. If you held onto a car and did the descent at 60mph, that wouldn't even get you to an 11mph average. Now say you hammered your guts out and got to the top of the hill in 6 minutes (10mph) and coasted down at 25mph. That's 8m24s to go 2 miles, an average speed of 14.3mph. Coasting down the hills takes no energy, and is really only "losing" a few seconds.
Old 09-03-18, 09:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How far did you Go? How long did it take? that is your average speed .

Old 09-03-18, 09:21 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Average speed is for average people.
chalk me up as average then.
Old 09-03-18, 11:29 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I too have the dissonant relationship with my average speed-- I know that a big part of it is outside my control, but I still kill myself on some rides trying to keep that number up. If there are a lot of intersections you have to cross, your average speed is going to suffer. It doesn't take more than a couple of stops to really bring the average down. I have numerous lap-routes I do around town that never turn left. I play a game with myself (thanks to a head unit with an excellent map) called "red light, turn right," where I go as long as possible without stopping/unclipping. Even with the slowing for intersections and going into unknown territory, average speed will usually increase ~1.5mph.

Also, speed up hills is far more important than the speed going down them. Say you're climbing a 1 mile long hill (say a 5-6% grade,) and it takes 10 minutes (6mph.) But when you turn around and come back down, it takes 2 minutes (30mph.) That 30mph descent can't make enough of a difference-- it still took 12 minutes to go 2 miles, for an average speed of 10mph. If you held onto a car and did the descent at 60mph, that wouldn't even get you to an 11mph average. Now say you hammered your guts out and got to the top of the hill in 6 minutes (10mph) and coasted down at 25mph. That's 8m24s to go 2 miles, an average speed of 14.3mph. Coasting down the hills takes no energy, and is really only "losing" a few seconds.

Agree with this. In contrast to Rubiksoval's suggestion, I've been pushing it up (especially shorter) hills, & allowing myself a bit of recovery coasting or soft pedaling on the downhills.

This makes for some good intervals and works the situation where I get dropped on rides that I try & fail to keep up with.

Generally, yes it's not accurate, wind, etc., and I do primarily look at power.

Here's a shot from yesterday- was stomping for glory as my FTP is about 230-235w

Old 09-03-18, 11:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
That is Precisely why I show myself Zero data while riding. if I am more interested in a number than in riding my bike, i should stay home and do math.

For competitive athletes, people on development/trianing programs---for Anyone who wants to ride to a number---that's fine. Some folks do that.

I hate what it does to My riding, so i don't let it.
Old 09-03-18, 12:41 PM
rubiksoval

Agree with this. In contrast to Rubiksoval's suggestion, I've been pushing it up (especially shorter) hills, & allowing myself a bit of recovery coasting or soft pedaling on the downhills.
That's not really contrary. Push the uphills and then keep pedaling the downhills. No reason to ever coast on a training ride (aside from safety concerns regarding descending or intersections) if you're training for performance.
Old 09-03-18, 12:43 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Maelochs
That is Precisely why I show myself Zero data while riding. if I am more interested in a number than in riding my bike, i should stay home and do math.

For competitive athletes, people on development/trianing programs---for Anyone who wants to ride to a number---that's fine. Some folks do that.

I hate what it does to My riding, so i don't let it.
Ha. Yep. If my garmin battery dies or my powermeter dies, I go home. If it's dead at the start, I'll just skip the ride until it's charged. I hate the thought of riding for no reason.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-03-18, 01:04 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's not really contrary. Push the uphills and then keep pedaling the downhills. No reason to ever coast on a training ride (aside from safety concerns regarding descending or intersections) if you're training for performance.

There's aero tuck downhill, but

also intervals require recovery periods, yes?

Otherwise it's a 3+ hr interval which is just one kind of training.

I aspire to keep up with these guys

https://www.strava.com/activities/1815260445

& it's the rollers, especially later in the ride, where I fall off the back.

In my area, everything is at least 50'/mile climbing so hiding in the group only goes so far.
Old 09-03-18, 01:09 PM
rubiksoval

There's aero tuck downhill, but

also intervals require recovery periods, yes?

Otherwise it's a 3+ hr interval which is just one kind of training.
Recovery doesn't require coasting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.