Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enve's new 3.4 ARs look hot

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-12-19, 10:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

https://www.enve.com/en/products/ses-3-4-ar/

These are fondo wheels, aerodynamic when paired with 28 mm rubber. The future is disc and no tubes.
Old 05-13-19, 09:19 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

These are fondo wheels, aerodynamic when paired with 28 mm rubber. The future is disc and no tubes.
That's prettt much exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad it's more than double what I could conceivably convince myself to spend on wheels
Old 05-13-19, 09:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The future is disc and no tubes.
Disk is fine but tubeless setup is such a pain when someone goes through three or four sets per year.

If I'm about to head out and notice a tubed rear tire is worn I can swap it in about 20 minutes while I drink coffee in my kitchen.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-13-19, 10:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

I've had a set of basically the same wheels, but deeper rims, for a couple years now. I didn't realize when I bought them how only being able to run tubeless tires would limit my choices. I thought by now there would be a couple dozen more options. You can't use GP5ks with these wheels, I don't know why. That said, there are excellent 28 mm road tubeless tires available.
Old 05-13-19, 10:12 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
tubeless setup is such a pain when someone goes through three or four sets per year.

If I'm about to head out and notice a tubed rear tire is worn I can swap it in about 20 minutes while I drink coffee in my kitchen.

-Tim-
It takes me all of about 15 minutes to change a tubeless tire, and I having a spare wheelset to use is an even quicker swap.

You make it sound more difficult than it is
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-13-19, 10:15 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
You can't use GP5ks with these wheels, I don't know why. That said, there are excellent 28 mm road tubeless tires available.
Huh. I just looked at their listing.

So, bead circumference/diameter for tires (and rims...) is a cluster**** in the industry right now. 622 millimeters doesn't actually mean 622 millimeters...it means 622 millimetersISH. Companies build whatever size they want, and then slap 700c/622 on it. That's not so big an issue for tubed tires (other than some tires being a ***** to get on, and others just sliding right on...), but from what I understand it causes all sorts of seating issues with tubeless. I would assume the tires ENVE lists are those that are the closest to the diameter ENVE decided to manufacture their wheels at.

I wish more companies would take the time to actually measure up and/or test tires for use on their rims.
Old 05-13-19, 10:16 AM
noodle soup

You can't use GP5ks with these wheels, I don't know why.
The last time I looked, Enve hadn't tested the combination yet. I guess they've changed that now.
Old 05-13-19, 10:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Huh. I just looked at their listing.

So, bead circumference/diameter for tires (and rims...) is a cluster**** in the industry right now. 622 millimeters doesn't actually mean 622 millimeters...it means 622 millimetersISH. Companies build whatever size they want, and then slap 700c/622 on it. That's not so big an issue for tubed tires (other than some tires being a ***** to get on, and others just sliding right on...), but from what I understand it causes all sorts of seating issues with tubeless. I would assume the tires ENVE lists are those that are the closest to the diameter ENVE decided to manufacture their wheels at.

I wish more companies would take the time to actually measure up and/or test tires for use on their rims.
I think it's just the opposite -- tubeless is bringing some much-needed attention to consistency in rim and tire manufacture. If a tire is too tight to install even with proper tape and an air compressor, or if X tire blows off of Y rim, you will hear about it far and wide, and makers can't just shrug it off like they did pre-Internet. The old days of loosey-goosey tires and rims with tall sidewalls to make up for them weren't necessary that great.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-13-19, 10:56 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Disk is fine but tubeless setup is such a pain when someone goes through three or four sets per year.
How many miles do you ride a year, or do you just ride endless miles of chipseal?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-13-19, 11:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by bbbean
How many miles do you ride a year, or do you just ride endless miles of chipseal?
7800 last year.

Some of those miles were on other bikes but even so, a Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed on the rear will wear out in 1200 miles. I went through at least three on my road bike.

Corsa G+, Turbo Cotton and other race oriented tires are going to wear similarly.

-Tim-
Old 05-13-19, 11:07 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
^^^

That was my immediate question as well-- I can get a full year out of a front tire, with 10,000 miles split between two bikes. I got 13 months and 5,800 miles out of a 700x35, and the front 700x25 on the road bike was mounted last June, a good ways past 4,000 on it.

But I know what I'm doing, so mounting/unmounting a tubeless tire is never really a bother. And it's "clean mess" vs. "dirty mess." A little latex on the shop floor isn't going to kill anyone.
Old 05-13-19, 11:09 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by bbbean
4+ sets of tires per year is about right for me, but I ride 10-12 thousand miles per year
Old 05-13-19, 11:13 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
^^^

That was my immediate question as well-- I can get a full year out of a front tire, with 10,000 miles split between two bikes. I got 13 months and 5,800 miles out of a 700x35, and the front 700x25 on the road bike was mounted last June, a good ways past 4,000 on it.

But I know what I'm doing, so mounting/unmounting a tubeless tire is never really a bother. And it's "clean mess" vs. "dirty mess." A little latex on the shop floor isn't going to kill anyone.
+1.

On the side of the road it might be a PITA to fix a hole that won't seal, but at home/shop it's no big deal.
Old 05-13-19, 11:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It takes me all of about 15 minutes to change a tubeless tire, and I having a spare wheelset to use is an even quicker swap.

My experience with tubeless is with 38 mm and larger gravel tires and I could be wrong about the ease with which road tires assemble onto road wheels compared to gravel setups.

As an example, Panaracer Gravel King SK and Schwalbe G-One Allaround are sometimes very difficult to get fully seated and require soapy water or Schwalbe EZ-fit fluid to lube the beads. Even so, getting them to snap onto the bead isn't always a given.

Are road tires not as difficult to seat?

I also use a compressor and am pretty sure a flash charger type pump would be much more convenient. At a minimum, it would allow me to seat the tires in my kitchen.

Do you use a flash pump? If so, can you suggest a model?

-Tim-
Old 05-13-19, 11:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Anyway, tubeless aside, I've stopped lusting after ENVE components after building a bike with their seatpost and SES aero bar in early 2018.

No one like high-end gear more than I but Enve just isn't nice enough to justify the price. It is nice, just isn't that nice. There are better values out there especially from the custom builders.

-Tim-
Old 05-13-19, 11:44 AM
noodle soup

My experience with tubeless is with 38 mm and larger gravel tires and I could be wrong about the ease with which road tires assemble onto road wheels compared to gravel setups.

As an example, Panaracer Gravel King SK and Schwalbe G-One Allaround are sometimes very difficult to get fully seated and require soapy water or Schwalbe EZ-fit fluid to lube the beads. Even so, getting them to snap onto the bead isn't always a given.

Are road tires not as difficult to seat?

I also use a compressor and am pretty sure a flash charger type pump would be much more convenient. At a minimum, it would allow me to seat the tires in my kitchen.

Do you use a flash pump? If so, can you suggest a model?

-Tim-
I use a compressor and a PTS-1 if the bead is stubborn to seat.

Installing the tires with a tube first can also help. I keep 1 spare tubeless tire on an old wheelset at all times. When a tire needs to be replaced, it's already stretched and ready to go.

The Schwalbe G-One Speed tires went on without a problem, and inflated easily with a standard floor pump.
Old 05-13-19, 12:21 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
7800 last year.

Some of those miles were on other bikes but even so, a Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed on the rear will wear out in 1200 miles. I went through at least three on my road bike.

Corsa G+, Turbo Cotton and other race oriented tires are going to wear similarly.

-Tim-

I was getting get 4-6K miles out of my Turbo Cottons, more from my vulcanized Turbos before I switched to tubeless a few weeks ago. Even after I pulled the old tires, I get another few K miles from them as trainer tires. You must be retiring tires earlier than I do.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-13-19, 12:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

7800 last year.
You deserve great wheels more than I do.
Old 05-13-19, 05:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Can someone put out all new 'optimum' inflation charts.. I guess the old 15% deflection thing is defunct or doesn't work for tubeless.
71psi for a 180lb rider using 23mm tire on these? Really? 85psi for a 250lb rider?
Old 05-14-19, 02:06 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Can someone put out all new 'optimum' inflation charts.. I guess the old 15% deflection thing is defunct or doesn't work for tubeless.
71psi for a 180lb rider using 23mm tire on these? Really? 85psi for a 250lb rider?
Maybe, except a 28mm tyre is the minimum for that rim.
Old 05-14-19, 05:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Maybe, except a 28mm tyre is the minimum for that rim.
Even so, Mavic's newer charts built for tubeless (below) suggest inflations a good amount higher than Enve lists. Just wondering if anyone has done the same type of optimum deflection testing that led to all of the calculators out there for tube+tire combos, eg. Bicycle tire pressure calculator

Old 05-14-19, 05:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

That and I feel that tubeless gives me a little bit more wiggle room when it comes time to replace. The level of wear on a tubed tire that might give me pause before a ride (out of concern for the probability of punctures) isn't quite as worrisome to me with tubeless.
Old 05-14-19, 06:19 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Even so, Mavic's newer charts built for tubeless (below) suggest inflations a good amount higher than Enve lists. Just wondering if anyone has done the same type of optimum deflection testing that led to all of the calculators out there for tube+tire combos, eg. Bicycle tire pressure calculator
These Enve are hookless and their chart is for recommended pressure. Their max pressure (bottom line, in red) is probably where they start to be concerned about tires blowing off of the rim (plus a bit of safety margin). The Mavic chart is not for suggested inflation values, but for max inflation values. Do they have any hookless designs? I'm not aware of any, and that could certainly account for the discrepancy.

In any event, I'm in the 85-90kg region and 70psi is more than adequate on my 30mm tires with 17mm int width rims; given the significantly wider rims, the recommended Enve pressures don't seem out of line to me.
Old 05-14-19, 06:40 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
how safe is it to ran 28mm on a 25mm internal rim with hookless design? won't there be a high chance of blowout?
Old 05-14-19, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
how safe is it to ran 28mm on a 25mm internal rim with hookless design? won't there be a high chance of blowout?
If there was a high chance of blowout at realistic pressures, I would think that a manufacturer like Enve would figure that out before optimizing a 25mm int. width rim for a 28mm tire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.