Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Health hazards of chain lube

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Health hazards of chain lube

Old 06-04-19, 07:34 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
I'm not going to name the brand because I don't want to be sued,
I'm calling B.S.

If the product was banned, then they would have no grounds for suing you for simply reporting this fact.

If the bike store stopped distributing the product for fear of its contents, they still would have no grounds for suing you for simply reporting this fact.

The simplest explanation: Fake facts invented as a pretext to push this:

I was thinking more like this
https://store.ecosheep.com

I'll stick with paraffin, a.k.a, canning wax. It is so safe you can eat it and it will just pass right on through.
Old 06-04-19, 07:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Rose water is the answer to the OP's "problem".
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320216.php
Old 06-04-19, 07:56 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I'm calling B.S.

If the product was banned, then they would have no grounds for suing you for simply reporting this fact.

If the bike store stopped distributing the product for fear of its contents, they still would have no grounds for suing you for simply reporting this fact.

I'll stick with paraffin, a.k.a, canning wax. It is so safe you can eat it and it will just pass right on through.
I thought I would see something online about this product, but nothing. Perhaps the store isn't carrying it for other reasons.
NO store carries every brand. The fact remains that chemicals aren't good for your health, some of them in surprisingly small quantities, as evidenced by 79pmooney's post.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more green/organic/non petroleum based lubes, I think there would be a market for it these days. What about bees wax? Do any of the wax based lubes use bees wax?
Old 06-04-19, 08:02 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
The other day I got a chainring mark on my calf, and now I have no leg. Buyer's beware.
Likes For PepeM:
Old 06-04-19, 08:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I thought I would see something online about this product, but nothing. Perhaps the store isn't carrying it for other reasons.
NO store carries every brand. The fact remains that chemicals aren't good for your health, some of them in surprisingly small quantities, as evidenced by 79pmooney's post.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more green/organic/non petroleum based lubes, I think there would be a market for it these days. What about bees wax? Do any of the wax based lubes use bees wax?
I don't want to hijack this rather strange thread into a debate about acetone or whatever, but liver cleanses are complete quackery and I wouldn't take much from that story in terms of evidence. The statement that "chemicals aren't good for your health" is on its face, absurd. We are composed entirely of chemicals and elements. Some chemicals are harmful, others not, and some are only harmful in such huge quantities as to likely never to be encountered.

Frankly, if you're not willing to name the lube, I see no point in this thread.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-04-19, 08:10 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I have news for you. Paraffin is a long chain hydrocarbon. Not likely to get absorbed into the skin though. I don't worry about the solvent in chain lube since the amount used is small but don't like the smell so park the bike outside the house and let it evaporate before storing the bike inside.

If you want a good example of acetone exposure look at a nail salon. I remember walking past the open door to one of them in town and smelling acetone so strong I wondered how the patrons and salon personnel could stand being it that atmosphere 8 or more hours a day. Probably worth for the employees to have their livers checked once in a while.
Old 06-04-19, 08:17 AM
willibrord

This is really the only other one I could find in a google search, apart from a white lightning variant.

https://biokleenhome.com/product/chain-parts-lube/

The sheep oil people have done a good marketing job, it comes up dozens of times.
Likes For willibrord:
Old 06-04-19, 08:23 AM
willibrord

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't want to hijack this rather strange thread into a debate about acetone or whatever, but liver cleanses are complete quackery and I wouldn't take much from that story in terms of evidence. The statement that "chemicals aren't good for your health" is on its face, absurd. We are composed entirely of chemicals and elements. Some chemicals are harmful, others not, and some are only harmful in such huge quantities as to likely never to be encountered.

Frankly, if you're not willing to name the lube, I see no point in this thread.
Like I said, I don't want to be pursued by a big corp.

I suspect its probably not the only one to be unhealthy as most specialized lubes have complicated chemistries. There may well be a point in looking at other lubricants not only for reasons of personal health but also for the health of the planet.
Old 06-04-19, 08:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Shell gasoline sucks ass and can kill you even if used according to manufacturer's instructions. Yo, come and get me, Royal Dutch Pet!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-04-19, 09:10 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Name the product or get off the internet. Troll/Spammer
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-04-19, 09:31 AM
willibrord

Originally Posted by trailangel
Name the product or get off the internet. Troll/Spammer
No.

Have a nice day.
Old 06-04-19, 09:44 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Was in my local lbs today and asked for a popular brand of chain lube that I had been using. Was told they no longer carried it because of health hazard, It gets into your blood through your skin and causes problems. I didn't find anything on line, so I am curious about this. I'm not going to name the brand because I don't want to be sued, but does anybody else know of this problem?
I spent my 40 year career evaluating the hazard potential of chemical hazards, both toxicological as well as physical. If you are indeed curious about what precipitated the concerns of your LBS, I'd be glad to review the info available for that specific product and give you an opinion. PM me with the product name. I know you don't want to name names publicly, so I won't blab either.

Better yet, why don't you post a list of 5 or more chain lube products, one of which is the supposedly bad one. I'll review them all.
Old 06-04-19, 10:14 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by wgscott
I'm calling B.S.

I'll add that I'm a chemist, too, and will be happy to help.
Old 06-04-19, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I suspect its probably not the only one to be unhealthy as most specialized lubes have complicated chemistries. There may well be a point in looking at other lubricants not only for reasons of personal health but also for the health of the planet.
I recommend you don't drink it. Otherwise, this is a bs thread as we have no reason to assume that an unidentified product is hazardous for unidentified reasons. People make all sorts of stupid claims, I'm still waiting for all the soy I eat to give me boobs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-04-19, 10:36 AM
PepeM

Thanks for sharing OP. I will immediately stop using [redacted], since I don't want [redacted] to develop on my [redacted].
Old 06-04-19, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PepeM
Thanks for sharing OP. I will immediately stop using [redacted], since I don't want [redacted] to develop on my [redacted].

Is this a thread or a Mad Libs game?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-04-19, 10:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’m calling BS on this story.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-04-19 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-04-19, 11:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Baby oil is light mineral oil with some fragrance in it. When testers are doing chain testing for wear, elongation, etc, the chain lube of choice? Mineral oil.

Out in the real world, baby oil or mineral oil don't work well because it's not chain lube. No friction modifiers, etc. It won't last. But it will work. Vaseline would work too.
“Mineral oil” is the friction modifier...as is any lubricant. It reduces friction between two metal plates. Whether or not it does it better than other friction modifiers is the key. But there is not just one “mineral oil”. It is a wide range of hydrocarbons of various chain lengths. The one in baby oil just happens to a bit more fluid than some of the other “mineral oils”. It’s slightly more viscous than kerosene or diesel oil which could be classified as “mineral oil” because it is produced in the same way as baby oil...i.e. as a petroleum distillate.

As for Vaseline, it is a soft wax which could also be classified as a “mineral oil” since it to is a petroleum distillate. It is very close to the factory lube used on chains. Vaseline would actually be a much better replacement for “factory lube” than oil which is too thin and flows off of the chain or canning wax which is too thick and doesn’t flow at all. The much hated White Lightning actually contains some soft wax in the mixture so it is closer to “factory lube” than either oil or wax.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-04-19, 11:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
“Mineral oil” is the friction modifier...as is any lubricant. It reduces friction between two metal plates. Whether or not it does it better than other friction modifiers is the key. But there is not just one “mineral oil”. It is a wide range of hydrocarbons of various chain lengths. The one in baby oil just happens to a bit more fluid than some of the other “mineral oils”. .
I was considering using baby oil, but then I felt guilty when I thought about all of those poor babies.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-04-19, 11:30 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I have some supposedly "environmentally safe" chain saw bar oil at home. Given that I've heard a number of recommendations for bar oil as a chain lube (apparent quite tenacious), this might fit the bill. I'll dig it out and post the name when I get home.
Old 06-04-19, 11:36 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Was in my local lbs today and asked for a popular brand of chain lube that I had been using. Was told they no longer carried it because of health hazard, It gets into your blood through your skin and causes problems. I didn't find anything on line, so I am curious about this. I'm not going to name the brand because I don't want to be sued, but does anybody else know of this problem?

I think there are organic not pteroleum based lubes, (no, not olive oil) that are being marketed specifically for bicycle lube purposes.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-04-19, 11:37 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Sheep-based Eco Lube?

1. I'm not sure what that even means.
2. It probably seems a bit less eco-friendly to the sheep. Just saying.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-04-19, 11:41 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Sheep-based Eco Lube?

1. I'm not sure what that even means.
It is a euphemism for Astroglide.

2. It probably seems a bit less eco-friendly to the sheep. Just saying.

-Matt
More than chainsaw baaaaaahhhhhhhhh oil?
Old 06-04-19, 11:42 AM
PepeM

Likes For PepeM:
Old 06-04-19, 11:42 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts

How is chain lube which I apply to the chain and never touch going to harm me? Seriously curious.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.