Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cross alps tour, one week. Packing what?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-04-19, 11:12 AM
libertarian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just started the process of roughly planning a trip to Europe with my bike and meet up with a friend over there. I'd bring my bike in a yet to purchase case and pick an airline that does this at a reasonable cost. Probably more questions about that later. We'd take the train to Munich and spend about a week to 10 days going down to Venice through the Italian alps. I know some of the areas and passes from having skied there, so I know what I'm getting myself into.

It would be the two of us probably. I'll be on my Pinarello road bike, my friend would be on a touring e-bike. We're too old for camping or anything like that, so we'd be going from hotel to hotel, pre-planned and booked probably for the most part. There may even be the option to mail a package or two to some places along the way. Or maybe just dump some clothes along the way and buy fresh. I'd want to have as little stuff as possible.

Anyone done that or something like it? What's your experience with packing and what to bring? What bags? Backpacks? Chances are, my friend with his e-bike has a few more options to take some of our stuff.
Any recommendations for securing a bike along the way if you go somewhere?
Old 06-04-19, 12:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
Moved here from Long distance
Old 06-04-19, 04:45 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have crossed the Alps on a touring bicycle carrying 10 or 12 kg of gear, and I stayed at an inn, pension, or hotel every night. It's physically demanding to ride uphill all day at high altitudes. It sounds like you may have inappropriate equipment for the trip you envision. I'm glad I had a touring bike rather than a racing bike, panniers instead of a backpack, and ultra-low gearing instead of gearing intended for racing.
Old 06-04-19, 08:15 PM
libertarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
I have crossed the Alps on a touring bicycle carrying 10 or 12 kg of gear, and I stayed at an inn, pension, or hotel every night. It's physically demanding to ride uphill all day at high altitudes. It sounds like you may have inappropriate equipment for the trip you envision. I'm glad I had a touring bike rather than a racing bike, panniers instead of a backpack, and ultra-low gearing instead of gearing intended for racing.
Thanks, but that’s not the kind of tour I envision. I don’t want to be on a touring bike or bring along that much stuff.
Old 06-04-19, 09:27 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Backpack wouldn't be esp fun on a road bike. A seatpack & perhaps also a small handlebar pack should tote clothes/snacks/camera. Mailing stuff/buying new clothes seems like more hassle than it's worth. Easy to wash the base layers every 2-3 days at the hotel.
Old 06-05-19, 12:05 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Bring a toothbrush and toothpaste. Cut the toothbrush in half.
Old 06-05-19, 05:10 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by libertarian
Thanks, but that’s not the kind of tour I envision. I don’t want to be on a touring bike or bring along that much stuff.
Well how are you going to carry your stuff and climb hills all day at elevation? This is a non touring tour?
Old 06-05-19, 12:07 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Leebo
Well how are you going to carry your stuff and climb hills all day at elevation? This is a non touring tour?
Can’t you read? Support vehicle will carry everything!
Old 06-05-19, 07:17 PM
libertarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
This was moved into the touring category. Not sure what qualifies as such. I was hoping to get some input on most minimal gear for a week and how to best pack it. I’m not looking to go sightseeing or to fancy restaurants. I’d expect to spend about a week on the bike and crash at hotels
Old 06-05-19, 08:51 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by libertarian
This was moved into the touring category. Not sure what qualifies as such. I was hoping to get some input on most minimal gear for a week and how to best pack it. I’m not looking to go sightseeing or to fancy restaurants. I’d expect to spend about a week on the bike and crash at hotels
To answer your question, you should probably be looking at frame, saddle and bar bags. Here is a picture of my road bike set up for fully loaded touring. People carry far less, but this will give you an idea of one way of approaching the topic. My bags are all made by Revelate Designs for bikepacking.

Last edited by alan s; 06-05-19 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 03:26 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
I've asked on several threads how one mounts a bike packed like Alan's pictured above with a high, protruding butt bag. Answers ranged from "lay your bike on the ground, step over and lift it up" to "bend your knee sharply and swing leg over top tube in front of saddle". I board my bike using the traditional "cowboy mount"...left foot on pedal, swing the right leg over from behind. At age 70 I lack the flexibility for any of the above methods with a bikepacking seat bag. Even in my youth I don't think I could have used a butt bag, thus I tour with panniers.

If I were to embark on a light tour as you have planned on a road bike without racks I'd use a more traditional saddle bag that favors width over length. Maybe something like this? (It may require a saddle with bag loops) That way I could still mount the bike normally. Maybe also use a small handlebar bag. A backpack you may regret.

Here's how I light toured in the '60's using hostels. Two small panniers with a HB bag. Yes, that bike (a road bike) had dropout eyelets for a rack but there are ways around that now. It clamped onto the seat stays at the top. I prefer the weight low as opposed to a saddle bag...

'68 WB Hurlow ^

Last edited by BobG; 06-06-19 at 04:14 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-06-19, 08:12 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
There is no need to haul tons of stuff. For example, instead of carrying extra cycling clothes, you can wear them every day and wash them every evening. (That's what I do.) You will probably want clothes to change into at night, perhaps a T-shirt (or two or three) and a light pair of pants, underwear, socks, etc. You may want to carry a pair of sandals or shoes when you are not riding.

For safety's sake while in the mountains, you will want to carry protection against cold and rain. I have a pile jacket, a pair of waterproof pants, a rain jacket, and a pair of wool socks (which will keep you warm even they are wet.) You'll need basic tools, a pump, patch kit, an extra tube, and a first aid kit. You'll want to take lights, even if you plan to ride only during the day, to make you more visible if you need to drive through tunnels.

You'll need to carry water: I take at least two one-litre bottles, sometimes three. You'll need to carry food, and plenty of it. When climbing for hours on end, you may find it best to eat every 15 or 30 minutes to prevent bonking. Don't count on finding grocery stores around every hairpin turn!

Add your wallet, papers, phone, charger, extra batteries for your lights, a book and/or a journal, perhaps a camera, a lock, maps, perhaps a map case, a pocket knife, and basic toiletries.

I am a fairly minimal traveller, and have managed to go on extended credit-card bike tours carrying as little as 8 or 9 kg, not counting the clothes I am wearing, water, and food. It may not be a lot, but it does take space: I use two small rear panniers, a small backpack (which I strrap to my rear rack), a wedge pack (for under the seat, mostly for tools), and a fanny pack (for wallet, papers, phone, etc.)
Old 06-06-19, 10:20 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
No need for panniers, backpacks or the full bikepacking complement. 2 pair shorts, 2 pair each long top/bottom base layers plus rain jacket & tights & socks. Gel packets or drink powder for avoiding bonk. Eat at cafes where one can keep an eye on the bikes. At grocery stores the buddy can stay outside to watch bikes. AFAIK these areas are not that remote & with hotels/cafes the luggage can be kept quite light.