Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Western U.S. hub touring from hotel - any recommendations?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 08:27 PM
Cyclepup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My husband and I have been talking about touring for years and we'd really like to start planning but we need to do some research first. We plan to do a hub tour based out of a pet-friendly hotel. Our 13-lb dog will be traveling with us, so we're looking for pet friendly destinations as well. We'll drive to the hotel and ride out from there to sight see and explore each day.

Is anyone able to offer up, based on your own experience or knowledge, suggestions for western U.S. destinations and recommendations for hotels and places of interest?

We were big on camping when we were younger but now my bones and joints prefer a warm, comfy bed at night in a temp-controlled room, so hotels it will be for me. ;-) Your suggestions will be much appreciated!
Old 05-12-15, 01:11 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What types of rides are you looking for? What's a good distance and elevation change for you? How long will you be staying and how many rides do you want to do? Can the dog do one night in a kennel so you can do one ride with an overnight?
Old 05-12-15, 08:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My old home area.. Napa Sonoma Mendocino, Marin , Counties the latter 3 have an ocean shoreline..

I wouldn't want to tow the dog around in a bike trailer , You Might be OK with it.
Old 05-12-15, 09:23 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
How about somewhere around Santa Monica (if you are not based in LA), Solvang, and/or somewhere north of San Francisco so you can day ride into the city over the GG bridge. If you are not living in San Diego, it is a good choice also.
Old 05-12-15, 10:11 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
The Monterey, California, area could make a nice base, offering rides north and south along the coast as well as inland.
Old 05-12-15, 12:48 PM
Cyclepup

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
What types of rides are you looking for? What's a good distance and elevation change for you? How long will you be staying and how many rides do you want to do? Can the dog do one night in a kennel so you can do one ride with an overnight?
Easy to intermediate with places to stop and explore or just enjoy along the way. Nothing more than a half day's ride out and distance will be determined by elevation. Undetermined stay, but we plan to ride out every day unless something goes wrong. Absolutely not.
Old 05-12-15, 04:27 PM
sculbertson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 for Solvang or possibly Paso Robles. Lots of scenic and low-traffic ride options and excellent wineries - bonus!
Old 05-12-15, 08:02 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You could do a lot worse than San Luis Obispo or Sonoma County in CA. Similar terrain but slightly warmer (in the summer) can be had in the Bend, OR area.

Although Oregon is in a drought, from the perspective of someone from SoCal you probably wouldn't think so if you decide to venture into the Willamette Valley. There's some nice riding to be had from the Eugene area into both the Cascades and the Coast Range, both of which can put you along creeks and rivers that actually have water in them year-round. This might work best if you are willing to change the hub location once or twice to avoid repeating roads. It gets better if you are willing to roll on a few unpaved logging roads.

Let us know where you end up going and how it works out. I'm sure there are many of us who would like to replicate what you do if you find someplace nice.

Some other PNW ideas can be found in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/pacific-no...ing-roads.html
Old 05-12-15, 09:04 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree

Although Oregon is in a drought, from the perspective of someone from SoCal you probably wouldn't think so if you decide to venture into the Willamette Valley.

Some other PNW ideas can be found in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/pacific-no...ing-roads.html
Oregon has a system of Oregon Scenic Bikeways, one is the Willamette Scenic Bikeway. If you are willing to change the location of your "hub" a few times, there are several that meet your description. Oregon Scenic Bikeways - Oregon Cycling - Ride Oregon Ride
Old 05-12-15, 09:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'd consider someplace in Napa or Sonoma counties. There's lots of interest, and nice rolling riding with a good network of roads in four directions.

If you go to the coast farther south, you'll be trapped between the sea and a ridge line, and limited to more north and south riding on busier roads, which are the axis of most of the travel there. The Sacramento area also has great riding in 4 directions, but I don't know any tourist oriented points of interest.

IMO one of the keys to the decision is whether it's about riding through nice places, or having lot's of points of interest within riding distance. It also depends on whether climbing is an issue for you or not. If it is, don't trap yourself between mountains or mountains and the sea where you can only go in two directions.

Another consideration is what you consider a nice day's riding. The greater the distances you prefer to ride, the more working area you'll need.

lastly, depending on your preferences, you can consider using 2 hubs, each for a few days. That will let you explore two different areas, and you won't feel as confined if there are fewer options. If they're not too far apart, the time lost in the transfer won't cost you a day out of your vacation, or you can visit someplace on the way from one to the other.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-12-15 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 10:22 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
how about renting a small-ish rv and skipping the hotels altogether?
you could stay in the goodsam/koa campgrounds with power outlets
so you can run the ac at night. they'll be located outside of
the cities, so avoid city traffic altogether. most of them seem to be
accepting of little rat dogs.

should be able to find plenty of campgrounds on a circular route that
gives you plenty of variety.