Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 01:00 PM
SacredZero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried 700x40c tires on Diverge 2018? Is there enough of space for mud clearance? Thanks.
Old 11-22-17, 01:41 PM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SacredZero
Has anyone tried 700x40c tires on Diverge 2018? Is there enough of space for mud clearance? Thanks.
depends on the tire itself and the wheel you strap it to. I finally got a set of digital calipers, so naturally I went and measured every set of tires I had that were currently mounted

The same 33c Terra tires were either 33.45c on Roval Control alloy wheels or 34.37c on the Control SL wheels. Nearly a full mm difference just because of the wheelset.
Couple that with the fact that the tire size listed on the tire itself isn't always accurate, and again, it is in large part based on the wheelset, and you'll end up having to try it yourself.

The Trigger Pro 38c that I have have more than enough room for mud clearance *and* fenders, so I'm thinking 40c (WTB Nanos, for example) should still have room for mud clearance.
Old 11-26-17, 09:50 PM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
depends on the tire itself and the wheel you strap it to. I finally got a set of digital calipers, so naturally I went and measured every set of tires I had that were currently mounted

The same 33c Terra tires were either 33.45c on Roval Control alloy wheels or 34.37c on the Control SL wheels. Nearly a full mm difference just because of the wheelset.
Couple that with the fact that the tire size listed on the tire itself isn't always accurate, and again, it is in large part based on the wheelset, and you'll end up having to try it yourself.

The Trigger Pro 38c that I have have more than enough room for mud clearance *and* fenders, so I'm thinking 40c (WTB Nanos, for example) should still have room for mud clearance.
I put a set of 38mm Compass Barlow Pass semi- slicks on mine, and they measured exactly 40mm on the SLX24 wheelset. There was still plenty of room, so I would guess that any mud tire that actually measures 40mm on those wheels would be fine. 42mm would be pushing it for muddy conditions

Last edited by scotjonscot; 11-26-17 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 11-27-17, 06:53 AM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotjonscot
I put a set of 38mm Compass Barlow Pass semi- slicks on mine, and they measured exactly 40mm on the SLX24 wheelset. There was still plenty of room, so I would guess that any mud tire that actually measures 40mm on those wheels would be fine. 42mm would be pushing it for muddy conditions

I've been looking really hard at those Barlow Pass semi-slicks for my Diverge as my road tire to use on a 200-miler next spring/summer. I'd love to hear your overall impressions of the tire if you get a chance
Old 11-27-17, 08:53 AM
scotjonscot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking really hard at those Barlow Pass semi-slicks for my Diverge as my road tire to use on a 200-miler next spring/summer. I'd love to hear your overall impressions of the tire if you get a chance
I don’t have that many miles on them yet, but on a mixture of smooth asphalt, rough asphalt, gravel(not real deep or loose) and even some smooth singletrack, I love them. Very fast rolling, comfortable tire. I’m going to be test the 35mm version- Jon Bon Pass, I believe, this week.
They measure 37-38 mm on the stock slx24’s. Lighter than the Barlow Pass, I’m thinking for road use they’ll be perfect.
If only I could afford another set of wheels! For now I’ll just swap tires back and forth. Really like the GravelKing SK’s for rougher gravel, but the Barlow Pass’s weren’t bad as long as I wasn’t climbing up steep hills with loose gravel.
Again, fantastic on bad asphalt.
Old 11-27-17, 09:30 AM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotjonscot
I don’t have that many miles on them yet, but on a mixture of smooth asphalt, rough asphalt, gravel(not real deep or loose) and even some smooth singletrack, I love them. Very fast rolling, comfortable tire. I’m going to be test the 35mm version- Jon Bon Pass, I believe, this week.
They measure 37-38 mm on the stock slx24’s. Lighter than the Barlow Pass, I’m thinking for road use they’ll be perfect.
If only I could afford another set of wheels! For now I’ll just swap tires back and forth. Really like the GravelKing SK’s for rougher gravel, but the Barlow Pass’s weren’t bad as long as I wasn’t climbing up steep hills with loose gravel.
Again, fantastic on bad asphalt.
Did you set then up tubeless? How is puncture resistance?
Thanks for the feedback, really interesting the actual sizes. You measured with digital calipers?
Old 11-27-17, 12:07 PM
scotjonscot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you set then up tubeless? How is puncture resistance?
Thanks for the feedback, really interesting the actual sizes. You measured with digital calipers?
I can’t say how puncture resistance is, reviews don’t say anything bad about that, but I don’t have enough miles on them to judge myself.
I am running tubes now, but plan on going tubeless.
I measured them with a mechanical dial gauge.
Old 12-04-17, 05:08 AM
SacredZero

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did buy WTB Nano 40c and they fit well. At first sight there is not as much space for mud clearance (I have alloy bike) but I had no problem with it even I was crossing through highly muddy roads.
Old 03-09-18, 12:35 PM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
The rack I'm using is a RackTime Light-It, which is pretty standard.
Do you know what size rack you're using on the 2018 Diverge? 26" or 28". Any pictures?
Old 03-09-18, 02:56 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RideMyLeMond
Do you know what size rack you're using on the 2018 Diverge? 26" or 28". Any pictures?
The 26" version works with a fender and 35 mm tires, but only just. The 28" version gives a bit more space. RackTime have detailed tech drawings on their website. I'm on vacation right now so cannot do photos.
Old 03-09-18, 07:08 PM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In looking at their tech drawings I'm thinking that something is amiss with their numbers; 380mm does not equal 28". more like 14.96. Thanks for the fitment description as I think I'd prefer the 28" (380mm) version to make certain I have enough clearance for 38mm on 700c or 45mm on 650b wheels. Don't know if I'll ever run fenders.
Old 03-19-18, 04:35 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

28" is the German name for a "trekking" or touring tire, typically about 700x35-40. It makes sense because the external diameter of a wheel with such a tire would be about 1" smaller than with a 29" tire mounted. However, I agree that tire naming is inconsistent and confusing.

RackTime label the two versions of their racks 26" and 28" to show what wheel size it should comfortably clear, but that obviously depends on where your rack mounting holes are, whether you have a fender over the tire, etc., which is why they also give the tech drawings. I've found the tech drawings to be accurate and should be sufficient.
Old 03-19-18, 10:00 PM
RideMyLeMond

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So what type of seat post clamp are you using?
Old 03-22-18, 06:18 PM
desert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy folks, I'm new here. I came here looking to learn more about the Diverge, but have come away more impressed with the Breezer Inversion. I can't figure out why I would go with the Diverge over the Inversion, except for a great LBS that sells the Diverge. The Breezer appears lighter, built from durable steel, and without the complexity (FS) of the Diverge. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Old 03-23-18, 05:19 PM
RideMyLeMond

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That Breezer is a pretty hard deal to beat, I'm looking at the specs on the Breezer Inversion Team. Go check out the deal @ https://www.coloradocyclist.com/bree...sion-team-bike. ($200 of list) This when compared to the Diverge Comp carbon w/ 105 beats the specs across the board. Not sure if it's lighter for a comparable equipped bike. I just bought a Diverge Sport and have upgraded the brakes, shifters, and derailleurs and I'm now a little over the cost of the Diverge Comp. Still need to upgrade the wheels. I guess a true test will be to compare the ride of each. I've been a 'steel is real' believer all my riding yrs but I really enjoyed the ride of the Diverge Comp. I'll soon find out if that was the correct choice and if that feeling remains going down the road/trail...

Last edited by RideMyLeMond; 03-23-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 09:36 PM
desert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I agree. The Breezer Diversion looks like a great bike. The geometry, weight and componentry appear to offer a nice combination for those of us looking to do road riding, crushed limestone riding, and a bit of light touring.
Old 03-26-18, 03:24 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Originally Posted by RideMyLeMond
So what type of seat post clamp are you using?
Salsa Post-Lock, 27.2mm, clamped to the base of an aluminum seat-post: https://salsacycles.com/components/c...lars/post-lock
Old 03-28-18, 06:45 AM
D.zo

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a women's Diverge Sport for the wife.

Brakes (mechanical) seem to be pretty weak. The bike is very slow to stop, and you have to really smash the levers. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking maybe they might need to be adjusted or something...
Old 03-28-18, 07:22 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by D.zo
I just purchased a women's Diverge Sport for the wife.

Brakes (mechanical) seem to be pretty weak. The bike is very slow to stop, and you have to really smash the levers. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking maybe they might need to be adjusted or something...
I’m no expert on discs, but i do know that they need to be broken in. I rode a brand new one for a bit on a test ride, and it was worse than rim brakes on steel rims in the rain. Wish the shop warned me...could have killed myself lol.

I’m sure someone here can tell you how to bed them in properly. I think they just need time, for some unlnown reason. They should be shockingly strong when they’re all set.
Old 05-07-18, 07:37 AM
ETOPSFLIGHT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys

Will the 2018 Diverge Aluminium Alloy frame take a mountain bike derailleur with band clamp on the seat tube? Thanks in advance!

Regards
Etops
Old 05-25-18, 08:38 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I know this question was asked earlier in the thread, but any updated thoughts on whether the all-carbon Sport/Tiagra at $2100 is worth the extra money over the E5/105 Comp at $1900? I would imagine that the carbon on a $2100 bike isn't the world's greatest. On the other hand, I am somewhat put off by the max 38 tire capacity of the E5 models. I am a Clyde (6'4"/275) who will mostly be using this for longer road rides but want the freedom for long towpath/gravel rides as well.
Old 05-25-18, 09:08 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jfoobar
I am somewhat put off by the max 38 tire capacity of the E5 models.
Must admit this is what's put me off of them altogether ... they seemed to be making a big thing out of how they'd listened to their audience and made the 2018 able to take wide tyres ... a few manufacturers allow you to go up to 50mm on 700c and 2.1 on 650's so whilst at one stage one of these was all I was considering now it's very definitely off the list altogether as you never know if you may want the wider option at some stage... just my 2p's worth.
Old 05-27-18, 11:52 AM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just wanted to touch base again here

Mounted a set of GravelKingSK 38s to the Roval SLX24 wheelset that comes with the Diverge Expert, and the tires measure a bit over 40mm, with sufficient room for gravel in all directions and locations on the bike
Old 05-28-18, 06:45 AM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dumb question here, what kind of adapter do I need to be able to put the Diverge on my old trainer? It's the kind that just has generic "cups" that screw down and hold the nubs on the end of QR skewers in place. There are so many thru-axle adapters out there and I can never tell from the descriptions or pics if they are what I want, they all always sound like they're made for specific trainer models.
Old 05-28-18, 10:14 AM
arcocelli

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Picked up a Diverge E5 Saturday night. Brought it home and swapped out the tires (not sure why the stock tires are 30mm road tires). I put Gravelking SK 35mm tires on. Photo is from my Sunday morning test ride. I did around 40 miles, most of it gravel and a few stretches of minimum maintenance roads, where I ended up with mud all over the bike and had to carry it through a couple spots with standing water. Loved it! This is a huge upgrade for me and the comfort level was great, between the handling, geometry, gearing, etc. I still need to take those spoke reflectors off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.