Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Riding with AFib

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 04:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by BobL
You bet!

My wife and I always used to ride together, but she hasn't started back up until about a week ago, when she started riding our recumbent stationary bike. She's been fighting a tendinitis on her left leg for a year(!) and finally decided to see someone. Six weeks of PT has gotten her sufficiently better to start riding the recumbent. We've always had a disparity in strength due to size (I'm 6' and 200, she's 4'10" and close to half my weight), so riding together was always me slowing down for her and always pulling in the wind. She's aiming to get on the road by the end of February.
With similar issues, we bought a tandem in '07 when I was a couple years younger than you. I seldom ride my single outdoors now, tandeming instead.

From years of observing tendinitis/tendinosis on BF, what works seems to be lifting heavy, slowly, low reps. Gotta stress 'em to make 'em heal. Most PTs do the opposite.

You might try Saw Palmetto. A friend of mine said, "Ignore the studies, just try it." So I did and it works. Doesn't shrink the hyperplasia any, but it doubles my night-time sleep between pees. I'm worse than you, being older. I assume you've already gotten the excess salt out of your diet? My wife and I try for 3/4 teaspoon/day each, that is we try to make sure we get that much, having cut the heck out of it, no processed food, make everything from scratch, don't salt anything, etc.
Old 01-19-19, 07:27 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
With similar issues, we bought a tandem in '07 when I was a couple years younger than you. I seldom ride my single outdoors now, tandeming instead.

From years of observing tendinitis/tendinosis on BF, what works seems to be lifting heavy, slowly, low reps. Gotta stress 'em to make 'em heal. Most PTs do the opposite.

You might try Saw Palmetto. A friend of mine said, "Ignore the studies, just try it." So I did and it works. Doesn't shrink the hyperplasia any, but it doubles my night-time sleep between pees. I'm worse than you, being older. I assume you've already gotten the excess salt out of your diet? My wife and I try for 3/4 teaspoon/day each, that is we try to make sure we get that much, having cut the heck out of it, no processed food, make everything from scratch, don't salt anything, etc.
I'll pass that idea on. The PT has her doing just range of motion exercises and stretching. While she was in treatment, he massaged the area to seemingly good results.

As for Saw Palmetto, I take a LOT of it. 3 320mg "standardized extract" capsules twice a day. It's expensive, but it works for me. I went looking for any sort of toxicity information I could find before I added that third capsule twice a day, but couldn't find anything that made it seem like it could be dangerous. Couldn't find any.

As for salt, I practically have to force myself to get any at all. I've just never cared for the taste of it. We use very few prepared foods, my wife loves to cook, makes our mayonnaise and cooks everything from scratch, but I use hot sauce from time to time, and that's salt and various red peppers.

Last edited by BobL; 01-19-19 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Left out a thought.
Old 01-19-19, 09:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'll pass that idea on. The PT has her doing just range of motion exercises and stretching. While she was in treatment, he massaged the area to seemingly good results.

As for Saw Palmetto, I take a LOT of it. 3 320mg "standardized extract" capsules twice a day. It's expensive, but it works for me. I went looking for any sort of toxicity information I could find before I added that third capsule twice a day, but couldn't find anything that made it seem like it could be dangerous. Couldn't find any.

As for salt, I practically have to force myself to get any at all. I've just never cared for the taste of it. We use very few prepared foods, my wife loves to cook, makes our mayonnaise and cooks everything from scratch, but I use hot sauce from time to time, and that's salt and various red peppers.
So nice!

You might ask your doc about Flomax (Tamsulosin), which really works. It's an alpha blocker, so might be contraindicated for an athlete.

Yes, the PT would need to instruct: ROM and form. Here's an article which gives the reasoning behind the successes of BFers in getting this fixed. It's called HSR (Heavy Slow Resistance): Overcoming Tendonitis ? Steven Low

Note:
stretching and balance training (no evidence or make it worse — hence why I only use stretching for range of motion deficits), massage/manual therapy (case studies weak evidence in support, systematic reviews none),
She can show it to her PT.
Old 04-28-21, 02:25 PM
Capri92

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capri92
I've had afib for about four years now. Mine seems to come on after I eat- I gas up, start belching, and then afib starts and last several hours sometimes. I was in the the hospital on a monitor and overnight my heart was steady- next day when I ate, my heart rate went to 160. Its done it several times when I'm out on my bike. Once I went out about 10 miles, drank some ice water, then 15 mins later gassed up, started belching, and went into afib. My cardiologist wants me to have an ablation, but I think mine is due to a hiatal hernia and reflux. I just went today for barium swallow test- the radiologist said I may have a small sliding hernia that could cause reflux. I can't post a link but If your have reflux , stomach problems and Afib, you may want to search for this video on youtube.

Association Between Hiatal Hernia, GERD, and Atrial Fibrillation by Dr Suraj Kapa www jafib com

I had an ablation Nov 2019- piece of cake for me. No more AFib, no more hours of gas problems, no more blood thinner or rhythm meds. I still have a little gas now and then- I think this makes my heart skip a little, but a lot better than I was. My cardio assistant said she thought AFib can make gas worse- I think she’s right.

Last edited by Capri92; 04-28-21 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For Capri92:
Old 05-31-21, 07:26 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I was diagnosed with AFib in Nov 2019. Started back riding last summer to try and get back into shape after retiring from the Army in 2017. On Toprol XL and LDA. Hope to get off the meds soon, lord knows i'm on enough already.
Old 06-18-21, 09:47 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Just diagnosed with AFib this week . I see the cardiologist Monday .
Meanwhile primary doctor put me on a blood thinner. After only two doses I can feel a difference.
I never knew I was fatigued, thought it was just part of getting old .
I been under treatment for anxiety for the last three years . I’m thinking it may have been AFib .
Old 06-21-21, 10:38 AM
OldCruiser

Cardiologist told me my AFib isn’t life threatening except for the chance of a blood clot , which they are treating with blood thinners .
But he did tell me to take it easy on my bike and no big hills until after a stress test and an echocardiogram scheduled for next month .
Old 06-25-21, 02:40 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Capri92
I had an ablation Nov 2019- piece of cake for me. No more AFib, no more hours of gas problems, no more blood thinner or rhythm meds. I still have a little gas now and then- I think this makes my heart skip a little, but a lot better than I was. My cardio assistant said she thought AFib can make gas worse- I think she’s right.
I had the exact same situation: GERD, hiatal hernia (small) where food, gas, etc would trigger my afib. For a couple of years, I tried different diets (like FODMAP) to reduce foods that cause the gas. I would never ride after eating and had a liquid only diet on the bike. I'd take an acid reducer before riding and carry TUMS with me to prevent reflux induced afib. Through all the pain and effort, I could only reduce the frequency of occurrence, but couldn't get rid of it.

Two years ago I had an ablation, and that knocked it dead. Now, I can eat whatever, ride whenever .. it's been amazing. Like you, I still have an increased number of PVC's if I eat something gassy or or have reflux, but it doesn't bother me that much
Old 06-25-21, 02:52 PM
stuff shredman

Originally Posted by kirby999
Just diagnosed with AFib this week . I see the cardiologist Monday .
Meanwhile primary doctor put me on a blood thinner. After only two doses I can feel a difference.
I never knew I was fatigued, thought it was just part of getting old .
I been under treatment for anxiety for the last three years . I’m thinking it may have been AFib .
It wouldn't surprise me if the anxiety and afib were related. I had some situations where I'm pretty sure I went into afib ( and didn't know it ), but had that feeling as if I had just been startled and got an adrenaline rush. Later after being diagnosed, I had some anxiety issues, because here was something that I could not control. I worked through that and all is better now.

Do be careful when on the blood thinners. You definitely don't want to be in any type of an accident. If you can have an ablation or get on beta/ calcium channel blockers and get off thinners (or just cut back to low dose aspirin), that would be better. However, there is now a blood thinner that has an antidote, so if you do have a bleed ... they can get you coagulating w the antidote. Ask your doc about this ...
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 06-25-21, 04:30 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
It wouldn't surprise me if the anxiety and afib were related. I had some situations where I'm pretty sure I went into afib ( and didn't know it ), but had that feeling as if I had just been startled and got an adrenaline rush. Later after being diagnosed, I had some anxiety issues, because here was something that I could not control. I worked through that and all is better now.

Do be careful when on the blood thinners. You definitely don't want to be in any type of an accident. If you can have an ablation or get on beta/ calcium channel blockers and get off thinners (or just cut back to low dose aspirin), that would be better. However, there is now a blood thinner that has an antidote, so if you do have a bleed ... they can get you coagulating w the antidote. Ask your doc about this ...
Thanks for the advice .
I have a stress test and an echocardiogram scheduled in the next couple of weeks and the cardiologist will decide what to do afterwards.
If he doesn’t find any other issues , he said he may do a cardioversion to get my heart back into the correct rhythm. But didn’t want to do anything until he had more info . If that works , he’ll most likely take me off the thinners .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 06-25-21, 05:15 PM
stuff shredman

He may have you wear a two week monitor (Halter or Zio) to record all your beats. Feel free to hit me w any questions, here or via DM.

Sounds like you're on the right track and in good hands. Hope all goes well.
Old 07-14-21, 08:05 PM
OldCruiser

Had my tests today and got results by this evening. Doctor says no significant blockages . AFib is present due to my being overweight.
Im taking this as great news .
I have a follow up appointment next week to see how the cardiologist wants to treat the AFib , meanwhile I’ll continue to ride and try to lose more weight . I’ve lost 25 pounds this past year so far .
I’d like to lose it like I put it on , slowly over a couple of years .
Old 07-14-21, 10:01 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Good luck
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-15-21, 12:14 PM
stuff shredman

Originally Posted by kirby999
Had my tests today and got results by this evening. Doctor says no significant blockages . AFib is present due to my being overweight.
Im taking this as great news .
I have a follow up appointment next week to see how the cardiologist wants to treat the AFib , meanwhile I’ll continue to ride and try to lose more weight . I’ve lost 25 pounds this past year so far .
I’d like to lose it like I put it on , slowly over a couple of years .
sounds like the heart is otherwise healthy. That's great news. For me, eating would often trigger the AFib, and I found eating smaller meals helped that. The side benefit was that I lost 25lbs, and I feel great! Not to mention that was a big boost to my watts/kg
Keep up the good work!
Old 07-16-21, 03:33 PM
OldCruiser

Got a note from Cardiologist that my echocardiogram looked good too .
Took off on my Schwinn Crosscut this morning and rode 8 continuous miles (a long ride for me ) without “taking it easy “ . Felt good when I finished. Think I could have gone a couple of miles more , but didn’t want to overdo it , after just short spinning sessions for the past month .
I feel very relieved my tests came back as good as they did .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-26-21, 12:22 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts

'

I tried Saw Palmetto a few months ago.
I had no expectation's.
But to my surprise it helped. Not a lot, but even one less trip to take a leak during the night is worth it!
Old 07-26-21, 12:40 PM
roadsnakes

Afib

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
HRV maybe isn't about what you think it is. It's about HR variability over short time periods, on the order of 5 seconds, so it's a micro thing. It's not about Afib which is a macro thing. HRV in an athletic setting attempts to speak about one's readiness for exercise and stress levels.

When I've ridden with folks who had Afib events, it was quite remarkable on their part. HR rose from say 130 to 170 very quickly with no elevation of effort and it stayed there for some time. It was accompanied by a sensation of considerable weakness. Upon getting off the bike and sitting for a few minutes, it went back down to normal levels. On 2 rides with different riders, the rider elected to continue at a reduced pace and was OK. On another, the rider phoned home to be picked up, though seemed in good health. However besides exertion induced Afib, to some folks it just happens, though I think probably rare in healthy specimens.

So IME all you need to see Afib is any decent chest strap HRM. The H10 is good equipment and comes with an above average strap, though IME the most durable snap-on straps are Garmin.

Of course an ordinary HRM won't detect any of the other zillion heart abnormalities which a 12-16 lead EKG would show, OTOH I think one needs to be a trained and experienced doctor to read an EKG properly. (ECG is now preferred over EKG.)

I`ve been dealing with AFIB for a while. Metoprolol and Aspirin seem to help. Although my Dr. said he`d rather see me on Eliquis. But, even with my insurance it would be $243.00 Bucks a month.
Dr. said I carry a Aspirin and Metoprolol in my bike bag in case I go into AFIB and it lasts for a while.
About two weeks ago I got up early, felt fine, got the paper and made some oatmeal.
I just started reading the paper when I felt my heart starting to increase in beats.
I stood up and was going to put my FITBIT on to monitor the beats, and I felt a little dizzy.
I went and laid down, and starting checking the Beats Per Minute on the FITBIT.
113, 123, 131, 147, 150, 165! All in about 5-10 minutes.
I had already taken an Aspirin and Metoprolol but the Dr. said if I`m having an "episode" and it lasts for a few minutes, take a another half of Metoprolol and wait 15min. If it doesn`t subside, call 911.
My wife had the phone in her hand saying she was going to call 911, but I said give it a few minutes. After about 25minutes, it was 73 beats per minutes.
About 2-3 hours later I went for bike ride. (against my wife`s wishes).
Felt like crap. Very tired , no energy. I rode about 10-15 miles. When I got home I checked my Beats Per Minute on the computer from FITBIT.
The highest heart rate I got on the ride was 102 BPM. Just from taking a extra half a Metoprolol!
Old 07-26-21, 01:51 PM
OldCruiser

I’m having a Cardioversion procedure this Friday to try and shock my heart back into the correct rhythm . Cardiologist is saying a 90% chance of it being successful.
Hope it works .
Old 07-30-21, 10:43 AM
OldCruiser

Cardioversion didn’t work .
Got a follow up appointment with cardiologist next week .
Meanwhile I’ll be staying on the Xarelto.
Old 07-30-21, 06:48 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Good luck
Likes For Bmach:
Old 08-04-21, 07:48 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Kirby, Sorry about that.

Roadsnakes, Do you attribute feeling like crap to the metaprolol? If not ... I would be surprised if it's not the cause.

Out with son and almost-12 grandson, who live in NYC, so we see them rarely, today. Grandson was on the new-to-him Trek 920 that my wife and I just gave him for his birthday (because we noticed he had outgrown his Hotrock 24). The plan was to go 10 miles in the Skokie Lagoons. Within a few minutes of starting, HRM showed big jump in HR. Subsided in a couple of minutes. Started riding again, and got another big jump. Subsided quickly again. Rinse, repeat. I stayed by the car while son and GS did another loop.

ETA 8/5: Losing riding time with GS stuck in my mind long enough for me to remember to do some web research eventually. It looks like the reco is not to stop exercise unless I'm not feeling good. The only symptom I had yesterday was the high HR. I could have kept going. On today's ride with my son, I couold see my HR bounce around a lot, but I felt fine, so I kept riding, I need to do more research, of course

Last edited by philbob57; 08-05-21 at 05:12 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 08-06-21, 10:28 AM
OldCruiser

Had another visit with the cardiologist after my failed cardioversion.
Talked about my options.
He told me my Afid is what is called a controlled AFib.
Decided on six months of blood thinners and loose about 20-25 lbs .
Old 08-09-21, 04:27 AM
roadsnakes

"Roadsnakes, Do you attribute feeling like crap to the metaprolol? If not ... I would be surprised if it's not the cause."

Yes, that extra dose of metoprolol got my heart to a normal rhythm, but at least for the rest of that morning, kept my BPM way low.
I took about a 15 mile ride , with some pretty good hills at the start, but 102 BPM was the highest I got.
The next time I have a episode where I need that extra dose, I plan on skipping any activity where I`d need to get a higher heart beat per minute.
Old 08-12-21, 07:50 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Atrial fibrillation results from a variety of factors.

However there are two constants that contribute to all cases.

Age and usage. The longer you live, and the more active your life has been are always going to eventually result in the fibrosis of all the muscles in your body.

Old muscles just don't work as well. We just tend to rely on some more than others.
Old 08-14-21, 01:02 AM
cantom

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not that I wanted to join this afib club or anything...but I have it too.

Originally Posted by hochflynn
I'm sure every case is different, but.... I was diagnosed with afib a bit over 2 years ago. Knew something was wrong when I was getting very out of breathe on slight hills. I was diagnosed with asthma and as a precaution it was recommended to do a stress test. I did and went into afib during it. I have a low resting heart rate but was given a med to keep it even lower as the cardiologist felt better to have it low and hopefully keep it from spiking. Was also prescribed a med to keep the rhythm in sync. Things unfortunately got worse (HR would spike to 190s on the slightest incline) in just a few months. I spoke with an electrocardioligist about having an ablation. During the visit I had an ekg done and I went into a-flutter. December, a year and a half ago I had an ablation for both and am currently back to something resembling my old self. To answer your question, I did ride solo with it. I bought a heart rate monitor to keep tabs on it, which kind of helped me know when to back off - confirm might be a better word, I could physically tell. So I would recommend that. I know some people can be on meds and control it for the most part. Others, like me get progressively worse and need to do something about it (quality of life issue). Was also, and still am, on a baby aspirin a day to reduce chances of having a stroke. There are also apps that allow someone to track you, so that might be something to look into. Bottom line is I think its generally okay but important to monitor yourself. Hopes this somehow helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.