Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest Chattanooga Challenge

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 08:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

It looks like someone is stepping in to fill the void left when 3 State 3 Mountain shut down.

Ochs Highway will be closed to motor vehicle traffic for the climb up the front side of Lookout Mountain. There is a little bit of overlap with the northern portion of the Chattooga Century route.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...anooga/465604/

https://veloviewbiketours.com/chattanooga-challenge

I'd love to hear thoughts on the route from anyone who has ridden this area. My only rides near here were the two times I did 3 state.

-Tim-
Old 09-14-18, 09:01 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Looks like a lot more reasonable price than the Hincapie gran fondo. As to the route, the initial climb up lookout mtn at 5 mile into
century is a bit of a challenge. The descent at mile point 28-31 is a wide sweeping road you can let the bike run on, if traffic is ok,
a really nice descent. The route through mtn ranch cove is really nice, sort of Cades Covish, but the climb out at the end is a bear.
On the tandem it was a 3.5mph slog. This is at mile 48 on the map. Overall the roads are good otherwise, occasionally trafficy, ie around
Cloudland Canyon SP and a few other places, but it is a good route. You will like it.