Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Listening to Stuff on the Road

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-10-18, 05:44 PM
Idak

Bikes: Felt Z70 and F30X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am back into riding after a 2 decade hiatus. I like to listen to music and podcasts when riding on the road. I am looking for something that I can hear well in my right ear while allowing my left ear to be completely uncovered to hear things coming up on me.

Currently, I'm using a little Bluetooth ear piece. Relatively low volume. No good seal in the ear canal. No noise canceling and nothing to minimize the wind noise.

What are you all using? Or is this too dangerous with any equipment. Most of my riding is country roads and country highways.
Old 09-10-18, 05:55 PM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't usually listen to anything on the road. Too scetchy. When I'm on trails I use my Plantronics backbeat fits. They sound great, have on ear controls, last a good 8+ hours and let me still get outside sounds. When the music is playing I don't really notice the wind but you definitely hear it if you pause the music, podcast, etc. I've had mine for almost 2 years. I use them constantly and they still look like new and hold a charge. Highly recommended, just not on a road with cars
Old 09-10-18, 06:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I listen to whatever new noise has developed since my last ride, worry obsessively, and then try to fix it when I get home.
Old 09-10-18, 06:10 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I wear over the ear earbuds in both ears. I can still hear cars coming. If I can't, it's because of wind noise. But that's true regardless of earbuds.
Old 09-10-18, 06:11 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Regular old wired Apple earbuds, one in right ear with volume high, none in left ear
Old 09-10-18, 06:27 PM
Kitsap

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listening to your favorite tunes while riding is a really really BAD IDEA! Reason is safety; on the road your ears are as important as your eyes. I ride country roads and highways and I can hear a car coming long before I can see it in the rear view mirror. As for the trails.... where I ride in the Pacific Northwest, off-road trails are shared by hikers, bicyclists and horses. A bicyclist runs down a hiker and you will be held liable (based on previous legal rulings)

Old 09-10-18, 06:33 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I use wired earbuds, cheapies from Lowes or Home Depot or wherever. If there's traffic I'll drop the left earbud out. I usually listen to spoken-word podcasts, but a couple weeks ago I loaded up a bunch of old music MP3s from the Napster days and rode with that. That was a very very very very good ride.
@Kitsap you're right, it's a safety compromise. If it feels like the wrong time or place I won't do it.

Last edited by rseeker; 09-10-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 06:34 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Trekz titanium bone conduction headphones. Can still hear everything on the road or path. I commute 16 miles each way and it allows for lots of podcast time doing Z2 rides.
Old 09-10-18, 06:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
I've used ear buds for years and never had trouble hearing cars. Then again, I listen to podcasts, not music turned up to 11.

Old 09-10-18, 06:37 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Kitsap
Listening to your favorite tunes while riding is a really really BAD IDEA! Reason is safety; on the road your ears are as important as your eyes. I ride country roads and highways and I can hear a car coming long before I can see it in the rear view mirror.

Yeah, right. The land of eternal tailwinds, huh?
Old 09-10-18, 07:33 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
UE Boom 2 speaker in my bottle cage at a decent volume. I still hear vehicles coming up behind me.
Old 09-10-18, 08:13 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I’d been switching on music from my iphone speaker in my jersey pocket for motivation on the second half of my rides lately. I just got an Altec Lansing baby boom BT speaker. Big improvement! It’s tiny, pocketable and just loud enough to hear yet not so loud I can’t hear vehicles approaching from behind.
Old 09-10-18, 08:16 PM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

See rule #62
Old 09-10-18, 08:49 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I used to always use ear buds. Had a close call and now I use none. I learned my lesson. It’s not a good idea but I do like the speaker in the water cage idea. Been tempted to do that a couple of times but never have yet.
Old 09-10-18, 08:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundBu...9LS?th=1&psc=1

wireless, comfortable rubber ear things in multiple sizes, and good battery life.

I can hear conversation around me while listening to music and the rubber ear buds do a good job of blocking out some wind.
Old 09-10-18, 08:57 PM
Raphael9

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will turn on my music speaker in a sparsely populated suburb.
Old 09-10-18, 09:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Kitsap
Listening to your favorite tunes while riding is a really really BAD IDEA! Reason is safety; on the road your ears are as important as your eyes. I ride country roads and highways and I can hear a car coming long before I can see it in the rear view mirror. As for the trails.... where I ride in the Pacific Northwest, off-road trails are shared by hikers, bicyclists and horses. A bicyclist runs down a hiker and you will be held liable (based on previous legal rulings)
I ride with ear buds basically every time I ride. Most is gravel road riding with hardly any traffic ever.
the rest is on county roads/highways and trails. I hear as much as i want to, even with music playing. Just last week I had a short conversation with a guy from across an underpass/tunnel, so 40ish feet away. Music playing and all. Magic, I know.

as for hearing cars coming...i think there is limited benefit to knowing cars are coming. When i am riding along, what does it matter if a car is approaching from far behind? I will continue to pedal and the car will pass me as soon as they can. Me hearing it from 300 yards or 100 yards makes no difference. I don't ride differently when i dont have ear buds in.
Old 09-10-18, 09:06 PM
MagicHour

I gotta respectfully disagree with that recommendation. I have the similar Anker soundcore Spirit earbuds, which are awesome indoors on the trainer, but they block enough sound that I would never trust wearing them out on the road.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundBu...9LS?th=1&psc=1

wireless, comfortable rubber ear things in multiple sizes, and good battery life.

I can hear conversation around me while listening to music and the rubber ear buds do a good job of blocking out some wind.
Old 09-10-18, 09:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by MagicHour
I gotta respectfully disagree with that recommendation. I have the similar Anker soundcore Spirit earbuds, which are awesome indoors on the trainer, but they block enough sound that I would never trust wearing them out on the road.

interesting since i can use people talking around me. I might play the music lower. Or the buds might not be in my ears as far. Or I might be blissfully ignorant of my surrounding while thinking all is well.

in the end though, it's good reason to try different styles since things fit and work differently for each of us.
Old 09-10-18, 09:14 PM
MagicHour

Yeah I definitely can’t hear my GF when I’m wearing them, and she’s not a quiet person haha

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
interesting since i can use people talking around me. I might play the music lower. Or the buds might not be in my ears as far. Or I might be blissfully ignorant of my surrounding while thinking all is well.

in the end though, it's good reason to try different styles since things fit and work differently for each of us.
Old 09-11-18, 10:08 AM
Bif

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also like to hear music while riding. I started out on BT headphones but too much sound is blocked. I finally found my perfect solution:

A Coros Omni helmet- bone conducting headphones built in, nice speaker hidden up top for phone calls if you must, safety light, and crash detection.

I've had it for about 500 miles now and it works as advertised and I'm quite happy with it. I also got the new Varia Radar so now, when a car approaches from behind, I can hear the audio beep alert from my Garmin. It really works great having both of these tools.
Old 09-11-18, 10:31 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
One earbud, mostly podcasts. Occasionally Giants games when they're on the east coast.
Old 09-11-18, 01:30 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
The only thing I listen to is the wind rushing past my ears. Nothing IMO ruins a good ride more than some jackazz riding down the MUP with a radio so loud it'll wake the dead. Radios should be verboten on MUPS.
Jon
Old 09-11-18, 01:37 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I listen to the world I'm moving through. I want every advantage I can have when it comes to hearing something coming up behind me.
Old 09-11-18, 01:45 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Having spent much of my life behind the wheel (pizza delivery as a kid, then truck driver for a little over 20 years), listening to the radio the whole time, I have a pretty good playlist in my head.
I never could get used to the idea of plugging my ear(s) while riding my bicycle, but I got pretty good at running favorite songs through my head while riding.
This didn't have an adverse effect on hearing what was going on around me, and no annoying ads!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.