Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling at stop signs

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling at stop signs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 04:23 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cycling at stop signs

Cycling around SoCal there are a few points on my routes where I go through intersections with stop signs. The person who stopped there first normally goes first and so on, although a lot of times though when a car gets there before me the driver usually always either signals me to go ahead or will wait there forever so I end up just going. Is this just courtesy/law for bikes or is it so someone doesn't accidently get hit? because I rarely see cyclists stop for the signs around here.
Old 01-31-12, 04:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
According to the law, a cyclist goes first at a four way intersection if the cyclist got there first, or if (s)he arrived at the same time as a driver, but is on the right. Otherwise, the law says we take our turn. By convention, though, bikes often go first, and that's probably why some drivers will politely wait for you.

If a driver gets their turn, but yields it to you, then their turn has passed, and the right of way goes to you. It's bad form to have a stopping showdown; let the other driver go if it's their turn, go when it's yours, and continue on your way.
Old 01-31-12, 04:53 PM
NeedARealBike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
According to the law, a cyclist goes first at a four way intersection if the cyclist got there first, or if (s)he arrived at the same time as a driver, but is on the right. Otherwise, the law says we take our turn. By convention, though, bikes often go first, and that's probably why some drivers will politely wait for you.

If a driver gets their turn, but yields it to you, then their turn has passed, and the right of way goes to you. It's bad form to have a stopping showdown; let the other driver go if it's their turn, go when it's yours, and continue on your way.
ah figured as much, i'll try to remember on the commutes
Old 01-31-12, 05:47 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is this a four way stop intersection?
Old 01-31-12, 05:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
riding like you drive your car is the best policy. I'm too simple-minded to do differently
Old 01-31-12, 06:11 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

I regularly have 'stopping showdowns'. Because I don't trust that a motorist won't suddenly do something stupid.
Old 01-31-12, 06:53 PM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one of these show downs this morning. The lady stopped first. I was still rolling up to the stop sign and respect the right of way, so I stopped and put a foot down. She then started to wave me through. I had to point at the stop sign and yell at her to continue. The whole time her giving me amazed and confused looks.

If I've already come to a stop, then I would much rather have the driver just take their turn as they are supposed to. I appreciate the thought, but if they would just go then it would all go much smoother.
Old 01-31-12, 07:10 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This happens every week for me. I've even had cars stop that didn't have a stop sign for their direction. If the driver has the right of way I always make sure to put my feet down, making it obvious that I'm doing a full stop. If they wave me on I shake my head while pointing to me and then the stop sign. Usually they get it at that point, but I've had a few who insist on waving me through. If that's the case I wave a polite 'thanks' and move on. I try to be as courteous to drivers as I would like them to be to me. So far it's worked great :-)
Old 01-31-12, 07:17 PM
NeedARealBike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by weshigh
I appreciate the thought, but if they would just go then it would all go much smoother.
yeah i know what you mean, i try to avoid the stop sign intersections when their busy cuz it always gets really confusing
Old 01-31-12, 07:28 PM
Bomccorkle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to always happen around here. I live in a small town and I think everyone knows everyone by a friend so everyone is rather polite towards bikes, but yes it is kinda hard when you're just trying to follow the same rules, and I go by the motto if my feet are down I get a second to catch my breath:-)
Old 01-31-12, 07:43 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Firstly - don't cycle at them, but through them.

Don't fall for the waving ahead bait and jump out of turn. Eventually you'll get hit for a stupid reason and have no legal excuse. Probably u want to avoid that.

Never heard of this "cyclist goes first" lol... sounds like wishful thinking.

Stopping showdowns are funny, however people need to wise up and understand the right of way.
Old 01-31-12, 07:54 PM
weshigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Firstly - don't cycle at them, but through them.

Don't fall for the waving ahead bait and jump out of turn. Eventually you'll get hit for a stupid reason and have no legal excuse. Probably u want to avoid that.

Never heard of this "cyclist goes first" lol... sounds like wishful thinking.

Stopping showdowns are funny, however people need to wise up and understand the right of way.
The whole quote is "a cyclist goes first at a four way intersection if the cyclist got there first, or if (s)he arrived at the same time as a driver, but is on the right" which is the same for cars. If you get their first, its your turn. If you get there at the same time, person on the right goes first.
Old 01-31-12, 08:21 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The whole quote is "a cyclist goes first at a four way intersection if the cyclist got there first, or if (s)he arrived at the same time as a driver, but is on the right" which is the same for cars. If you get their first, its your turn. If you get there at the same time, person on the right goes first.
Gold star!
Old 01-31-12, 08:50 PM
GettinMyLanceOn
NotGettinMyLanceOn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one of these show downs this morning. The lady stopped first. I was still rolling up to the stop sign and respect the right of way, so I stopped and put a foot down. She then started to wave me through. I had to point at the stop sign and yell at her to continue. The whole time her giving me amazed and confused looks.

If I've already come to a stop, then I would much rather have the driver just take their turn as they are supposed to. I appreciate the thought, but if they would just go then it would all go much smoother.
Yeah, this situation happens to me daily! I'm always respectful of the stop signs if there are cars there, but drivers around me are probably so accustomed to the general bike ******** here that think they own the road. Then the driver generally looks at me like I'm silly until I go.
Old 01-31-12, 09:19 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I always make a complete stop at stop signs. Unlike many here, I do appreciate it when a motorist gives up his/her right of way to me and I graciously take it with a smile and a wave. It is particularly nice when they do that at the many places where one of our two bike paths cross minor streets. Of course, the traffic engineers gave the right of way to the minor road, but many motorists see how foolish this is and refuse to go along.

Then again, maybe they are just assuming that I will ride like the majority of cyclists (and motorists) and just run the stop sign. They may prefer to give up a couple of seconds in the name of caution rather than have to peel some idiot off their hood.
Old 01-31-12, 09:45 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I have a 4 way stop near my house that I commute through every time I ride to work. This is during peak traffic periods, so there are almost always cars on each side stopping along with me. I take my turn just like any other vehicle should and it usually goes smooth and quick. I hardly ever get a wave through, and no one acts surprised that I stopped. I see extremely few bicycles travel through this intersection so maybe that's why?
Old 02-01-12, 02:59 AM
BigDill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have any of you gotten a ticket for not abiding by car rules?
Old 02-01-12, 03:42 AM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe it's just the drivers where I usually ride (college campus), but I've only had the 'stalemate' scenario happen once or twice in 3000+ miles of riding - in general I stop, and everyone else just takes their turn as normal.
Old 02-01-12, 09:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If you want to be seen and treated as a valid part of traffic, it helps if you take your place in the lane at intersections just like any other vehicle would. If you roll up along the right edge of the road drivers are probably more likely to treat you as a pedestrian.
Old 02-01-12, 12:24 PM
NeedARealBike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If you want to be seen and treated as a valid part of traffic, it helps if you take your place in the lane at intersections just like any other vehicle would. If you roll up along the right edge of the road drivers are probably more likely to treat you as a pedestrian.
+1 for that, seems to be that way
Old 02-01-12, 03:23 PM
weshigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I feel like that only works at some intersections. I have areas where its at least .8 miles of stopped cars. There is no way I am getting in line and waiting "my turn".
Old 02-01-12, 05:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I regularly have 'stopping showdowns'. Because I don't trust that a motorist won't suddenly do something stupid.
I never engage in "stoppig show-downs" because I don't trust that the motorist behind me won't do something stupid in a blind rage because I'm blocking his path through the intersection. Also, I think that blocking traffic to uphold person dogma is impolite.
Old 02-01-12, 06:43 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i had one of these show downs this morning. The lady stopped first. I was still rolling up to the stop sign and respect the right of way, so i stopped and put a foot down. She then started to wave me through. I had to point at the stop sign and yell at her to continue. The whole time her giving me amazed and confused looks.

If i've already come to a stop, then i would much rather have the driver just take their turn as they are supposed to. I appreciate the thought, but if they would just go then it would all go much smoother.
amen!
Old 02-03-12, 12:47 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Occaisionally when I approach a stop sign, particularly if there is no one around so I don't want to stop, I'll jump onto the sidewalk before the intersection. Once on the sidewalk I'm a pedestrian. When I get to the intersection (assuming it's an all way stop, unless there's a sign specifically directed at pedestrians, such as a do not cross sign) I automatically have the right of way, regardless of who got there first. And, there's no duty for the pedestrian to stop (at least in Washington state). Further, the pedestrian cyclist has no duty to dismount, but can continue riding across to the sidewalk on the other side. Perhaps it's different where you are, but that's the way it is here.

Some of you from Washington may disagree with me. Remember, police can't make up laws, and all laws have to be written. Find me the law or laws in writing that contradicts what I've said and I'll agree with you. You can start in RCW 46.61.261, RCW 46.61.755, and RCW 46.61.235. The last one specifically states that if the driver can stop, they must, otherwise the pedestrian is at fault.
Old 02-03-12, 10:31 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDill
Have any of you gotten a ticket for not abiding by car rules?
No. I live in a rural area. The police here won't even ticket a car for making a "rolling stop" if there's no cross traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.