Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

How to raise handlebar for Trek 7.4fx?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 06:06 PM
weekendrider77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up my new bike today, 2013 Trek 7.4fx. It's gorgeous! I gave it a whirl and love it! But I find myself putting a lot of pressure on my hands and was wondering how to raise the handlebar? I am upgrading from a Trek 7200 and I must admit I find the 7200 somewhat more comfortable with up the upright position.

Based on the website, it says my bike comes with a riser bar? https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...x/7_4_fx_wsd/# Do I basically adjust that part?

Or do I have to buy a riser adapter like this? https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...0052&langId=-1

Thanks!
Old 08-10-13, 08:15 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Its a brand new bike? First thing is to take it back to the bike shop and see if they'll exchange it for the next larger size FX7.4. If its a brand new bike, with almost zero miles, and clean, they should do this (unless its a close-out model).

Second, try a handlebar with a greater 'rise' in the center part of the bar (where it attaches to the bar stem). The bike shop may be able to put one of these on for you. They might do it for free, but more likely charge a small labor fee and give you the new handlebars at a discount price. This will probably be what the bike shop will suggest, especially if they can't/won't exchange the bike for a larger size model. Still OK, really won't effect the bikes performance.

Third, you'll have to put on one of those riser thingies you posted in the Nashbar link. Make that the last option. They work OK (I have one on a utility bike I bought used), but on a new bike I'd rather start with everything fitted and working correctly.
Old 08-10-13, 08:31 PM
weekendrider77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Its a brand new bike? First thing is to take it back to the bike shop and see if they'll exchange it for the next larger size FX7.4. If its a brand new bike, with almost zero miles, and clean, they should do this (unless its a close-out model).

Yes it's a brand new bike, but what is the logic in getting a larger size bike in helping me ride in more upright position? Wouldn't it be longer and thus my arms will have to reach further to grasp the handlebar, making me in even more bent over position?
Old 08-10-13, 09:13 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Go back to the shop and tell them to fit you like they should have in the first place as they would have had it built into the price.
They will either adjust the saddle angle or stem angle or stem height. Easy task.
Old 08-10-13, 09:33 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendrider77
Yes it's a brand new bike, but what is the logic in getting a larger size bike in helping me ride in more upright position? Wouldn't it be longer and thus my arms will have to reach further to grasp the handlebar, making me in even more bent over position?
Not necessarily. LBS I've dealt with for myself and friends are notorious for selling folks bikes that are not correctly sized, and usually smaller that the customer actually needs. As another poster mentioned, take it back and get it fitted properly.

If you are bent too far forward, I'd assume they sold you a bike that was too small so the handlebars are too low. They might be able to flip the bar stem to raise the handlebars a few cm's, but usually the scenario you mention describes a too small bike. If you think the bike frame is correct for you (proper 'reach' is what I assume you see as a priority), then see if they can adjust a few things to get it to where you want it, or have them change the handlebars to ones with more 'rise' to get them higher (I suggested a larger frame, since that will get the handlebars higher, but usually extends the reach, too).

FWIW: I have a Trek FX7.3, and I've changed it to a drop-handlebar bike; I prefer a little 'lean-over' to the upright postion. Your mileage may vary . . . .
Old 08-11-13, 02:15 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd go back to the shop and see if they'll swap the stem. If your bars have any sweep to them,they might also be able to rotate them to give you some rise.

The part you linked to will add height,but it won't do much to shorten your reach. If swapping the stem/rotating the bars doesn't work,I'd look into a nice adjustable stem(like Ritchie) and/or a different bar. If the new bar isn't radically different from your stock one,it should be a straight swap without having to lengthen the cables.

Originally Posted by skidder
If you are bent too far forward, I'd assume they sold you a bike that was too small so the handlebars are too low. They might be able to flip the bar stem to raise the handlebars a few cm's, but usually the scenario you mention describes a too small bike.
She's coming from a 7200 comfort bike;a totally different animal from the FX. I doubt the bike's the wrong size,it's just different from what she's used to. And flipping the stem on that bike would lower the bar and increase the reach to it.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-11-13, 03:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Weekendrider, one tidy solution is to find out if the dealer can order a identical fork with an un cut steerer,
and then you can ride the bike set up with a bunch of stem spacers,
and when you find the ideal height for you.. then have the steerer cut. if at all ..

mechanically spacers above and below the stem is fine..

The factories have a formula for each frame size, and they put the fork in the bike cut to that length.

As a potential replacement for someone else , the fork you have has trade in value.

there are higher rise at an angle stems as well as adjustable angle ones.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-11-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 06:04 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
OP, I just bought the exact same model yesterday. I went from a huge Specialized Globe comfort bike to this so I know where you're coming from. I'd say unless there is something way out of whack with the fit I'd just give it a few more rides until you get use to it. I can tell my bike is sized and setup for me but it's still a new ride and will take a few more rides to get use to the new riding positions. If all else fails I'd follow some of the advice above like getting a stem that puts you in a more upright position, raising the stem (if the spacers allow it) and then possibly a new handlebar that has a bit more of a rise.
Old 08-20-13, 05:48 PM
bubbajoelouie

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7.4 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendrider77
I picked up my new bike today, 2013 Trek 7.4fx. It's gorgeous! I gave it a whirl and love it! But I find myself putting a lot of pressure on my hands and was wondering how to raise the handlebar?
I don't wish to try anyone's patience but I wonder if you could elaborate on the reasoning about the bike possibly being too small. Does it have to do with the seat height and leaning that is putting pressure on the hands or is there something else about the posture created by the bike size?
Old 08-24-13, 02:46 PM
KungPaoSchwinn

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Even you have the right size bike,the FX is a fitness bike,you suppose to lean a little forward down,otherwise ,you should kept the 7200.