Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dog trailer + 65 lb dog

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Dog trailer + 65 lb dog

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 08:53 PM
vegematarian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog trailer + 65 lb dog

I've never owned or used a dog trailer before but this summer I am looking to make several trips to the beach with my dog (while riding my bike).

My question is would a 25 lb trailer + 65 lb. dog be too much stress on a carbon or aluminum frame bike? Is steel the way to go? Most of the trip is flat but there are a few hills to climb.

The lowest gear is 36x28.

I could get a steel touring bike with much lower gears but the aluminum frame bike (and even the carbon frame bike) I'm looking at could allow me more uses when not the trailer isn't attached.

Any advice?
Old 03-19-15, 12:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A typical 2 wheel trailer uses the left end of the rear hub axle to secure it's tow hitch.

The frame is still just supporting You..
Old 03-19-15, 05:39 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Do you know if your dog likes trailers? That could be a issue. My girl loved them making it great to take with. I had a burly flatbed and made a wood deck covering the whole frame then added sides and front. I'd be cautious clamping to a carbon fiber frame but probably feel real comfortable with an aluminum frame.
Old 05-11-15, 07:34 PM
Cyclepup

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Trek Allant (aluminum frame) and have used it with a converted Bell trailer to haul my dogs and groceries. It is my go-to bike for almost every ride. My husband rides a KHS TR-101 (Cromoly steel) and he'll haul 100+ pounds using a custom-built trailer or the Bell trailer with pups on board. We find that both of these frame types are more suitable for the type of riding we do and the roads we ride on (dirt in some areas).
Old 06-24-15, 10:32 PM
Crawford53

Bikes: 1994 Barracuda A2E, 1991 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Marin Bear Valley, 1995 Nishiki Cascade, 1970 Raleigh Sports (project)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocsawdust
Do you know if your dog likes trailers? That could be a issue. My girl loved them making it great to take with. I had a burly flatbed and made a wood deck covering the whole frame then added sides and front. I'd be cautious clamping to a carbon fiber frame but probably feel real comfortable with an aluminum frame.
+1
I got a trailer with the intention of using it to transport both my dogs, especially on longer trips, camping adventures etc but I quickly found out that the larger of my dogs HATES being in the trailer. I'm working on a harness system to hook him into, since the issue is not the trailer but the closed front, but it still is a hassle. Do a bunch of short, easy trips with lots of treats at the end before trying anything serious to get the dog familiar with the trailer.
Old 06-25-15, 09:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I haven't done a dog trailer, but I pull my kids trailers carrying cargo with different bikes:
  • Colnago Super - Steel
  • Specialized Tricross - Aluminum
  • Litespeed (Frankenbike) - Titanium
So far, not pulling the trailer with CF.

I have 2 clamps. One clamps onto the chainstay. The other clamps to both the chainstay and seatstay.

A thick pad may be more comfortable for the dog than wood or the original vinyl floor.