Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cracked a Surly Cross Check

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cracked a Surly Cross Check

Old 10-22-19, 01:18 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I would guess that the crack originated in the heat affected zone at the toe of the weld.
Old 10-22-19, 01:40 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Steel is real though, right?
When you braze it. With lugs.
Likes For Kovkov:
Old 10-22-19, 09:18 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Lifetime? On a $ 4-700 steel frame? Who else does this? Brands and makes please. I own 4 Surlys, used abused and ridden hard. No issues. Cross check on single track. Karate Monkey and Krampus on over loaded bikepacking trips, and more.
It's a marketing expense. The number of frames replaced under the extended warranty is small, compared to the good will generated by standing behind the product. QBP don'tt care about the good will, they think they're a monopoly.
Old 10-23-19, 09:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 612 Posts
That's the problem with Surly. Even when they were smaller they pretended to be independent, but were just part of a monster.
Old 10-23-19, 01:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
reueladhikari are you going to check with Surly?
Old 10-23-19, 06:21 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Jamis is one brand. They sell a number of steel frames in this price range. Link: https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/warranty-guide.html

Most brands with aluminum frames offer lifetime warranties on the frames. Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. Granted, these are aluminum and not steel. But Jamis for sure does (on steel frames).
That pine marin is 2k. And in the fine print, some of those aluminum frames only cover the main triangle, not the rear sus part.
Old 10-23-19, 06:27 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Originally Posted by 2old
That's the problem with Surly. Even when they were smaller they pretended to be independent, but were just part of a monster.
Big business is bad? Got 4 Surly frames, no issues. Used and abused, beyond spec. I ain't no lightweight either. ( 230 lbs) For me the advantage is being a jack of all trades, specialty of none. My 1x1 has seen rigid fork and sus. Fits 3" tires. Drivetrains? 1x1, 1x9, 3x9, dingle speed, double dingle speed, rim brakes and disk brakes. Currently running 29 x 2" tires. On a 26er frame.
Old 10-24-19, 04:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
That pine marin is 2k. And in the fine print, some of those aluminum frames only cover the main triangle, not the rear sus part.
You asked about lifetime warranties on $400-700 steel frames. Jamis offers that. One of their most popular bikes, the Coda series, is a fully rigid steel bike. Some of the models use carbon forks, and some use steel forks; their lifetime warranty includes rigid forks. Their Dragonslayer series is a steel hardtail bikepacking bike with a suspension fork, very similar to the Krampus or Karate Monkey, both in price and in intended use. Jamis' lifetime warranty would cover the Dragonslayer's frame, but its fork would be covered by Rock Shox.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-24-19, 07:22 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Big business is bad? Got 4 Surly frames, no issues. Used and abused, beyond spec. I ain't no lightweight either. ( 230 lbs) For me the advantage is being a jack of all trades, specialty of none. My 1x1 has seen rigid fork and sus. Fits 3" tires. Drivetrains? 1x1, 1x9, 3x9, dingle speed, double dingle speed, rim brakes and disk brakes. Currently running 29 x 2" tires. On a 26er frame.
A quality steel frame should not break in one's lifetime. That's one reason why folks buy quality steel frames. It sounds like Surly does make some good, durable frames. But they make thousands of them I suspect. Surly frames breaking may be super rare due to a fault that's very hard to avoid (like the supplier giving you tens of thousands of feet of tubing with only one fault over about 3 inches of tubing). Or this break might be more common (but still rare) due to poor manufacturing processes and QC.

In either case, if faults were pretty rare, it would be expected that most Surly owners would say "Never had any problems". But it does look like the OP has a cracked Surly frame. If its truly a super rare event, I would think Surly would replace the frame, no questions asked, even if its out of warranty. If its more prevalent then I'd think they might hem and haw and offer a useless "credit" for a new bike. My point is that your sample of 4 bikes out of tens of thousands sold gives very very little information about the prevalence of fairly rare frame breaks.
Old 10-24-19, 08:36 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
A quality steel frame should not break in one's lifetime. That's one reason why folks buy quality steel frames.
That may be a reason people have for buying steel frames, but it is not necessarily true. When steel frames were the norm, they broke all the time, especially very lightweight ones.

Yes, it is unusual that a heavier steel frame like a Surly would break - almost definitely a manufacturing defect, unfortunately not revealed until well after the warranty period is over, but if the loads put on a non-defective frame introduce stresses above the materials fatigue limit, the bike will eventually break. One of the reasons you see old 10-speeds and other old steel bike rolling around is that many of them sat unused for decades and got pulled out to give to grandkids or sold at garage and estate sales.
Old 10-24-19, 08:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
When steel frames were the norm, they broke all the time, especially very lightweight ones.
Yes indeed.

Now that we have two pages of mostly debate on the durability of steel frames and whether Surly will offer an extended warranty, I have to ask the OP, did you contact Surly about this failure and what was the outcome?

Yes,. their stated warranty is 3 years and few Surly frames break but what did they say?
Old 10-24-19, 09:22 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
That may be a reason people have for buying steel frames, but it is not necessarily true. When steel frames were the norm, they broke all the time, especially very lightweight ones.
I agree. If we make a racing bike, in which the tube walls are reduced to lower weight, this increases stress, all other things being equal. Higher cyclic stress leads to earlier fatigue failure. Which tells me that I, as a 240 pounder, should not buy a vintage frame of Columbus EL, for example. And back in the day, when I could leg press 1000 pounds, I could put pretty good stress on the BB and chainstays. So heavy riders and riders who can really graunch can fail a super-optimized low weight racing bike frame.

At the same time, horses for courses. The Surly in question is touted as a commuter. It should be substantive enough to not fail in normal use, IMHO. Most bike frames were not so super-optimized as to susceptible to failure in normal use, if for no other reason than to avoid warranty costs.

In the case of this frame, unless the OP is a 250 lb weight lifter with massive legs whose commute is over rocky trails up and down steep inclines, the frame should not have failed in use.

Still waiting to hear if the OP has contacted Surly.
Old 10-24-19, 09:48 AM
Leebo

A quality steel frame should not break in one's lifetime. That's one reason why folks buy quality steel frames. It sounds like Surly does make some good, durable frames. But they make thousands of them I suspect. Surly frames breaking may be super rare due to a fault that's very hard to avoid (like the supplier giving you tens of thousands of feet of tubing with only one fault over about 3 inches of tubing). Or this break might be more common (but still rare) due to poor manufacturing processes and QC.

In either case, if faults were pretty rare, it would be expected that most Surly owners would say "Never had any problems". But it does look like the OP has a cracked Surly frame. If its truly a super rare event, I would think Surly would replace the frame, no questions asked, even if its out of warranty. If its more prevalent then I'd think they might hem and haw and offer a useless "credit" for a new bike. My point is that your sample of 4 bikes out of tens of thousands sold gives very very little information about the prevalence of fairly rare frame breaks.
My take on Surly is that they are basic, over built frames. 6 year old steel frame set up singlespeed. Nothing lasts forever. I've broken 2 steel frames, 2 aluminum frames, cranks, handlebars, pedals, rims, wheels, and a bb. Stuff breaks. And 2 helmets doing their job.

Last edited by Leebo; 10-24-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 11:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I think you'd have to replace the BB, which I suspect would be tough as you'd have to basically disassemble the frame. Perhaps worth it for a hand-made Italian from from the 60s, but for a modern mass-produced frame I suspect not. Or perhaps experts know a way? I think your best best is Surly Warranty, or at least (if you want to take another chance with Surly) see if they'd give you a deal on a replacement frame.
If I was going to ressurect the frame, it does depend a bit on the inside of the bottom bracket, but I don't think replacing the bottom bracket would be my course of action.

There is some grunge and decals that give a false sense of lugs that aren't there.

The frame appears to be purely TIG welded. So, one could, in theory, clean it up, grind off some of the welds, and weld over the top, and maybe get another 6 years of use.

Or perhaps Fillet Braze the seat tube, and gusset braze the downtube.

A forensic analysis of the cracks would be interesting. In particular, the crack along the bottom of the seat tube. The crack appears to go between the weld and the bottom bracket.

Assuming a thick tube bottom bracket and thin tube seat tube, is there any sign that the weld broke through the inside of the bottom bracket?

To me it looks like basic weld separation.

Thus NOT FATIGUE. But, rather poor welding, and poor penetration.

If it is a poor weld that showed up, assuming the original owner, I'd push for a warranty repair.
Old 10-24-19, 12:10 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If I was going to ressurect the frame, it does depend a bit on the inside of the bottom bracket, but I don't think replacing the bottom bracket would be my course of action.
There is some grunge and decals that give a false sense of lugs that aren't there.
The frame appears to be purely TIG welded. So, one could, in theory, clean it up, grind off some of the welds, and weld over the top, and maybe get another 6 years of use.
Or perhaps Fillet Braze the seat tube, and gusset braze the downtube.
A forensic analysis of the cracks would be interesting. In particular, the crack along the bottom of the seat tube. The crack appears to go between the weld and the bottom bracket.
Assuming a thick tube bottom bracket and thin tube seat tube, is there any sign that the weld broke through the inside of the bottom bracket?
To me it looks like basic weld separation.
Thus NOT FATIGUE. But, rather poor welding, and poor penetration.
If it is a poor weld that showed up, assuming the original owner, I'd push for a warranty repair.
Clifford, Agree on all points - I thought that there was a lug. That said, it does seem that the crack proceeds axially up the tube. I've underlined the crack, as I see it. But that "crack" could be a partial lug (?) or something. Not sure.

The frame is supposed to be 4130 Chrome-moly and so should be plenty strong, If there is an axial crack I'd want that tube replaced.

And I'd check with Surly in any case. If there was a problem I'll bet that they want to know about it.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-24-19 at 12:52 PM.