Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Doing a dumb experiment...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Doing a dumb experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 08:02 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Next thing you should do is experiment with using a broomstick as a handlebars and a toilet plunger as saddle and seat post.
How about a toilet plunger as handlebar?
Likes For devianb:
Old 11-02-19, 08:50 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by fullergarrett

I’m currently waiting for a replacement to the other tire. When it arrives, I may even take the inverted tire for a spin and see how it handles.

Any hypotheses on what may happen? Obviously I have way too much time on my hands...
you'll probably have the tire / rim failure.

btw slicks are cool, just order some 26 x 2.0" ThickSlick tires

https://www.wtb.com/products/thickslick
Old 11-02-19, 09:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Can’t quite understand it. Either a cut is only through the tread layer, in which case it’s mainly unimportant (unless a piece of grit manages to hit just ”right”), or it’s through the cord, and large enough to allow the tube to herniate, at which point it needs to be booted immediately to keep the tire useful.
On the outside the cut will spread out due to the curvature. On the inside it could squeeze together depending on the thickness of the rubber. If you couldn't boot it for some reason it might be a good "redneck repair" as OP put it, to get back to the car. If you knew from an experiment that it works at all. Unfortunately OP wrote later that he wasn't interested in redneck repairs.

Bigger problem in my mind is that the interior rubber won't last. Not a couple hundred miles, maybe not even a couple of miles. There's so little rubber there on some tires that I've seen bulges starting on the uncut thread when they're worn that far.
Old 11-02-19, 09:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I've had tire nubs, and the squished middle seam last a while. So, unless the interior rubber is very different from the exterior rubber on the tire, it may last a while. Not sure how long, but I still think one should be able to get 100 miles or so before seriously damaging the carcass.

On at least some tires, I've thought that the thinner the tread gets, the tire becomes more effective at preventing at least certain types of flats. In particular, if one has a tough puncture-proof band, then thin rubber over it will help prevent glass from embedding into the rubber and slowly chewing its way down to the tube.

Slowly inflating to get the bead to seat properly sounds like a bit of an issue, but once properly seated, it may not be a big problem.

Many MTBs have hookless rims. And, I have one 26" MTB with a loose bead for some reason. A big pain to get it centered just perfectly to seat, otherwise it will push off. But once properly inflated, it rides fine.
Old 11-02-19, 10:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
What could happen?
1. A flat from the tube rubbing against the aggressive tread
2. Damage to the tire's casing material. You've flipped it backwards, which is probably stretching the casing threads in an unnatural way, and there's also just s thin rubber layer between it and the nastiness of your local roads. Damage might not cause an immediate problem, but something in the future after you've returned the tire to its normal-side-out and when you least expect it to happen.
3. Tire comes off the rim. There's usually a bead on the tire that catches a 'channel' on the wheel's metal rim for a secure fit, but an inside-out tire won't have that bead to make it secure. I'd think any bump, turn, or object you hit when you start riding will cause the tire to come off the rim and possibly cause a #1 above.
That's what I was thinking about lack of an outside tire bead on an inside out mounted tire. I can just see that tire coming off the rim and when it does it'll be at the worst possible moment.

Cheers
Old 11-02-19, 10:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

This isn't a "fix" for the tear in the tire. That tire is done for and is being replaced, because the tube bulges out it. A proper but temporary fix for that would be a tire boot.

This "experiment" really is just to see what would happen. This isn't meant to be an attempt at a "redneck repair" or anything. I would not expect this to be a fix for anything, or solve any problem - no matter how temporary. It's just one of those "let's see what would happen if I did x because I'm just curious" type things.

A couple disclaimers here... I do not mean to ride it for long or very fast in the "test." Doing so would just be asking to get hurt. I'm moving the tire from the front to the rear because, as previously mentioned, I'm getting a new tire and its going on the front and the tire used in this experiment (the one that's inverted) is going on the rear. In

With that said, I already unmounted the tire. The tube actually doesn't look nearly as badly "damaged" as I thought it might. I thought that anything past 30 PSI would surely pop the tube, but no. It held fine, and they're the cheap "standard thickness" Kenda tubes - no thorn-resistant or heavy-duty tubes here. But then again it was pressurized for just over 24 hours.

As for the tire itself, it seemed to be pretty solid on the rim. I even bounced it a few times on the ground (fairly harshly) and it didn't have any issues. As skidder mentioned, it does have that hook. But I have a 1980s Free Spirit Pinnacle road bike (27x1 1/4") that has old steel rims without the hook where the tires are held in place solely by the pressure. Unless you're inflating to ridiculously high pressures, or riding on a trail or doing some serious cornering, I think it shouldn't have a problem. (In my case, 45 is the max pressure.) The main concern would be the damage to the nylon cords (which is the "structure" of the tire) or the lack of traction.

I may delay this experiment until this tire is worn or it gets replaced in the future, because I'm unsure if I'm going to replace it now and make a matching set. If I do delay, I'll definitely report back to this thread when it happens.
"Seemed to be pretty solid on the rim" are the operative words. I really do wonder what will happen the very first time the brake is applied. With no bead holding the tire to the rim I'd be quite surprise if the tire stayed on the rim.

Just remember that on the road you've also got the friction of the tire against the road. "An object in motion wants to continue in motion" which means the the tire will most likely attempt to continue turning when the brake is applied.

Cheers
Old 11-02-19, 10:44 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
"Seemed to be pretty solid on the rim" are the operative words. I really do wonder what will happen the very first time the brake is applied. With no bead holding the tire to the rim I'd be quite surprise if the tire stayed on the rim.

Just remember that on the road you've also got the friction of the tire against the road. "An object in motion wants to continue in motion" which means the the tire will most likely attempt to continue turning when the brake is applied.

Cheers
I'm not sure. That's one part of an experiment, but for that it's best to have it on the rear wheel... which I plan on doing since the new tire is going on the front.

But I see another potential problem in regard to the bead and it possibly slipping off the rim. With the tire in the normal position, the bead area has a texture to it, which helps you when mounting the tire to tell if it is equidistant from the rim. The problem is, the inverted tire is smooth in that region. I'm wondering if that may have an affect or not. Only one way to find out...
Old 11-02-19, 10:55 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
I’m just not sure what to do with this experiment. Seems a bit silly. But who am I say? I was thinking of taking a ride tomorrow with my socks turned inside out. I’ll report back on that later.
Old 11-02-19, 11:06 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
There's also practical experiments I'm looking at doing. I recently watched a video on patches where someone looked at how well different types of rubber cement worked. I've been thinking about possibly doing an experiment testing different types of patches - both traditional glueless and glue-on patches, as well as jury-rigged patches made from old tubes, paper, etc. Maybe even testing the knot trick.

So not all of my experiments are impractical. But I've also wanted to see how long riding on a tube (with no tire casing) would last... I'm guessing not too far.

Maybe I'm too curious and have too much time on my hands for my own good.
Old 11-03-19, 04:31 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I applaud you for the accuracy of your thread title.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 11-03-19, 01:52 PM
Miele Man

There's also practical experiments I'm looking at doing. I recently watched a video on patches where someone looked at how well different types of rubber cement worked. I've been thinking about possibly doing an experiment testing different types of patches - both traditional glueless and glue-on patches, as well as jury-rigged patches made from old tubes, paper, etc. Maybe even testing the knot trick.

So not all of my experiments are impractical. But I've also wanted to see how long riding on a tube (with no tire casing) would last... I'm guessing not too far.

Maybe I'm too curious and have too much time on my hands for my own good.
Thank you very much for the chuckles. I don't even understand how you expect a tube without a tire to stay on the rim or for that matter inflate evenly.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 06:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Not sure why there so many criticism or mockery. The OP had originally stated this was a dumb experiment so why reiterate it over and over again?

The people commenting are like people telling a person who has a mole on his face that he has a mole on his face.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-03-19, 06:33 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I won't speak for anyone else, but I, personally, am worried he is going to injure himself.
Old 11-03-19, 06:37 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Not sure why there so many criticism or mockery. The OP had originally stated this was a dumb experiment so why reiterate it over and over again?

The people commenting are like people telling a person who has a mole on his face that he has a mole on his face.
Hi! you must be new here. Welcome to BikeForums. haha
Old 11-03-19, 06:58 PM
Miele Man

Or perhaps we're concerned he's going to hurt himself or someone else?

I've had instances in the past where I've told friends not to do something that many considered to be dangerous. A couple of times they did it anyway and I got to go to their funerals.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 07:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

When a person does something that is abnormal there is always a risk of getting criticized and mocked. That's the reality of life. Doesn't matter if it's on internet forums or in real life. We are all different and we react differently to what we see around us. I am under no obligation to support and " high 5" idiotic behaviour..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-03-19, 09:14 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
For those concerned about my safety (and the safety of others): I plan on doing this experiment at very low speeds in a particularly safe area (i.e. no traffic, fairly smooth surface, etc.) I don't plan on going fast or far. I believe trying this out on streets or roads at "normal" speeds (10+ MPH) would be asking for injury. I wouldn't definitely go racing on a tire like this... nor would I even go out on the streets or trails.

I said this was a dumb idea - its even in the title. I get it - and I was expecting (and ready for) criticism. But just know that I would do this with safety being top priority.

I will say that I'm not the only one with this idea, nor am I the only one with many of my other ideas. In fact, this was the source video for this whole idea:

Thanks for your concern, but I do want to reiterate that I am taking safety into consideration.
Likes For fullergarrett:
Old 11-03-19, 10:21 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
First, recruit a witness so you can say "Hold my beer and watch this".

IF the tire stays seated long enough, you will wear through the cords fairly rapidly. At that point you will experience the same result as if you wore them through from the tread side.

Wear ear plugs.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 11-04-19, 09:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Nice idea. I'll try it with my studded ice tires.
You can make your own studded tires by taking a regular tire and screwing sheet rock screws into it.
Old 11-04-19, 09:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I’m just not sure what to do with this experiment. Seems a bit silly. But who am I say? I was thinking of taking a ride tomorrow with my socks turned inside out. I’ll report back on that later.
I have found that when you turn your underwear inside out you can wear them a few days longer.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-04-19, 09:48 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
ride the bike and report back. it may work just fine. or not

were you not curious after you made the change? I would have had to have ridden it right then
Old 11-04-19, 10:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Be prepared. After your study or experiment, somebody is bound to criticize it explaining why the study is flawed and biased.
In this case, I doubt it because the whole enterprise is, by the OP's own word "dumb".

But, yes, if someone is making a claim based on a study or experiment, it's more than reasonable to look at the validity of the study or experiment.
Old 11-04-19, 11:29 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
At least you admit that it's dumb, because it is.

It's one thing to think of new ways to do something, but it's just stupid to use a product in the complete opposite manner for which it was designed, all the while knowing that what you're attempting is inherently unsafe.

Ever read a ridiculous warning label on a product and think, who in the hell would do that?? Well, now we know.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 11-04-19, 11:57 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
You guys!

I was looking through my spam folder and I noticed that I got an email from the OP a week ago, asking, BEGGING for us to prevent him from riding on this tire. It turned out that riding inside out tires was the ticket for one way travel back in time. He is now in a loop unless we interrupt it and break the cycle.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 11-04-19, 12:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Y'all need to stop giving me ideas for shortening my already precarious life. I kinda miss the Jackass and Bam Margera shows. But I'm so old now I break instead of bounce, so I'll just enjoy the cool stories from the bros who actually dare to defy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.