Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

TERN VERGE x30h for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 06:41 PM
FlippinFlags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

This would be for a lighter set up, even with rider and all food, water and gear I'd be way under max rider weight if that matters.

I know you can tour on anything..

My concern is.. what about the wheels and tires?

Would I have to worry about easily bent rims?

What about tires? Too thin? Or not rugged enough?

Thoughts?

https://www.ternbicycles.com/ph/news...ge-x30h-review

Tern folding bike Verge X 30
Old 11-03-19, 07:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Do you own one? If not, have you ridden one?
Old 11-03-19, 10:31 PM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Do you own one? If not, have you ridden one?
No I've never seen one in person?
Old 11-04-19, 05:19 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
[QUOTE=FlippinFlags;21193161] Thoughts?

just wonderin'....is there a point to all the pointless questions about bikes (or bike-like things) you don't own, have never seen in person, and have no interest in riding?

go get a bike. ride it. then tell us all about it!
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 11-04-19, 05:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

The model you asked about is listed as discontinued. If you have never seen one, not sure why you specifically asked about a discontinued model.

Folding bikes are a compromise, some are better at portability and some are better at riding and handling at the cost of portability. Have you ridden any folding bikes for any long distance rides?
Old 11-04-19, 05:35 AM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's kind of an impossible bike to see without buying as there's very few around and would most likely need to be purchased online and shipped.. Why wouldn't I ride a bike I bought?

I'm here with basic questions to see if I should try and buy it..[QUOTE=saddlesores;21193600]
Originally Posted by FlippinFlags
Thoughts?

just wonderin'....is there a point to all the pointless questions about bikes (or bike-like things) you don't own, have never seen in person, and have no interest in riding?

go get a bike. ride it. then tell us all about it!
Old 11-04-19, 05:36 AM
FlippinFlags

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The model you asked about is listed as discontinued. If you have never seen one, not sure why you specifically asked about a discontinued model.

Folding bikes are a compromise, some are better at portability and some are better at riding and handling at the cost of portability. Have you ridden any folding bikes for any long distance rides?
Yes I know it's discontinued and I don't think they've made a newer version.

I've never ridden a folder for a long distance.. If I buy it and don't like I'd just resell it.
Old 11-04-19, 07:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by FlippinFlags
Thoughts?
I think others are tiring of all the questions without a plan.
Buy a bike and gear, do some short rides to sort it all out, then ask about what you learned and want to change.

As for this folding bike- it looks awful for touring. Simply terrible.
Nobody here can tell you if the wheels are strong enough as nobody owns the bike. In general, smaller wheels are 'stronger' than larger wheels, but the wheels on this folding bike have minimal spokes so who knows how that affects reliability.
1x drivetrain with 3 gear hub and a 10speed cassette is...confusing. I cant imagine dealing with a drivetrain issue in rural Iowa, much less rural South America or wherever else you have mentioned going.
Old 11-04-19, 09:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1x drivetrain with 3 gear hub and a 10speed cassette is...confusing. I cant imagine dealing with a drivetrain issue in rural Iowa, much less rural South America or wherever else you have mentioned going.
Sachs and later Sram three speed hubs that can take a cassette are not that uncommon on folding bikes. I have a similar setup on my folding bike because I was unable to fit a front derailleur, thus only one chainring, but I wanted wider gear range. The Sram Dual Drive (which is no longer made) was the answer. I am running an eight speed cassette with the three speed hub for gearing quite similar to the gearing that I would have if I had a triple crank on the bike instead.

I have heard that Sturmey Archer also makes a similar hub, but have not used it. But I am using a Sturmey Archer shifter on my Sram hub.

I also would be hesitant to take it to South America, but I would have no concerns about using that in any part of USA, Canada or Europe.
Old 11-04-19, 10:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
But it has "lotsa gears." So it must be good.