Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tips to build wheel quickly?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-21-20, 03:30 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

I want to build a new rear wheel for my Brompton by reusing the spokes + BWR gear hub, as it's about 10x cheaper than buying a whole, new wheel.

I've already done it for the front wheel, and did an OK job but it took a bit long.

If you have good experience building wheels, what would be your top tips to get the job done in less than an hour and reasonably well — ie. a professional wouldn't be happy, but good enough for the (rim) brakes to do their job — ?

Thank you.

Old 01-21-20, 03:59 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Unfortunately, practice...
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-21-20, 04:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Why the rush? Ever hear: "there's never enough time to do it right but always time to do it over"?
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-21-20, 04:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
The slower I build wheels, the sooner I'm done.
Tension up slower than you need to and recheck often.
"Final" truing is very minor, and I'm usually within +/- 5kgf of same side spokes.

BTW, old "crusty" threads will make your effort difficult to do right. You need "feel".
Use new nipples and wire brush the spoke threads well.
That will go strides toward making a less crappy wheel.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-21-20, 04:50 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
All the good advice above ^^!
I've built 4 or 5 wheels for my Dahon and Tern folders, and a couple for my full-size road bike. I seem to get pretty good results in a couple hours of work. But it's easy work, and it isn't necessary very often... it's not as if I'm making my living building wheels.
Slow down and enjoy the process!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 01-21-20, 06:56 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Hello,

I want to build a new rear wheel for my Brompton by reusing the spokes + BWR gear hub, as it's about 10x cheaper than buying a whole, new wheel.

I've already done it for the front wheel, and did an OK job but it took a bit long.

If you have good experience building wheels, what would be your top tips to get the job done in less than an hour and reasonably well — ie. a professional wouldn't be happy, but good enough for the (rim) brakes to do their job — ?
Detension the spokes, tape an identical new rim on in three places, move the spokes over one at a time taking the opportunity to lubricate spoke threads plus sockets, cut the tape, then tension and true as if starting from scratch.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 01-21-20, 07:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Detension the spokes, tape an identical new rim on in three places, move the spokes over one at a time taking the opportunity to lubricate spoke threads plus sockets, cut the tape, then tension and true as if starting from scratch.
+1. And if it wasn't obvious Winifred , you don't even need to unlace the spokes from the hub. Just move the threaded end over to the new rim, one at a time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-21-20, 09:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Unfortunately, practice...
Yup. And don’t overthink it. It’s not as daunting as many people make it out to be.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-21-20, 11:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
want to speed it up use a small handheld screw gun, unthread each nipple about 3 turns, then tape the two rims together. Unthread a spoke with the screw gun, set the new nipple and thread till there's about 2 threads still showing. You can do this all the way around. Note, if you could see any part of a thread on the original wheel you'll need to adjust the visible threads. Something like the cyclus nipple driver
https://www.bike24.com/p2242915.html will also speed up the whole process. Var and a couple other brands make similar and they cost 15-30 each but totally worth the cost if you do this often enough. With this and a bit of practice you can build a wheel in half an hour.
Old 01-22-20, 06:19 AM
Winfried

Thanks for the tips.

A digital tension meter seems to help a lot to get it right and fast — I assume it's how wheels are machine-built in the factory —, but it's way too expensive for non-pros.

I'll also get some linseed oil for the threads. I've seen it recommended here and there.
Old 01-22-20, 06:28 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I like to tape the spokes together at the crossings and then I can remove the old rim and swap in the new one. I put all of the nipples on and then go around and run all of them down the end of the threads. I put my thumbnail against the last thread and run the nipple down until it hits my thumbnail. Then I go around the wheel and tighten each nipple the same amount of turns until it starts to get some tension. At that point, it goes in the stand and gets dished and trued before further tightening.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-22-20, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

A digital tension meter seems to help a lot to get it right and fast — I assume it's how wheels are machine-built in the factory —, but it's way too expensive for non-pros.

I'll also get some linseed oil for the threads. I've seen it recommended here and there.
There are better products out there. Linseed oil works okay if you dip the spokes and let them dry. Trying to apply it while transferring a rim is not as easy. Ideally, you loosen one spoke at a time and transfer the spoke to the existing rim. Putting linseed oil on each spoke and letting it dry during the process would be very time consuming. Most of the other spoke preparations have the same issue. They are meant to be used after they dry. Rock N Roll Nipple Cream is meant to be used wet and might be a better choice. I've only used it once myself and that wasn't on one of my builds. I can't say how well it holds but it gets mostly good reviews.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-22-20, 09:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Thanks for the tips.

It'd be a lot cheaper to pay someone to build than purchase a digital tension meter.
You seem to make a lot of assumptions or go off an tangents because you read "something somewhere".
You have obviously never measured the tensions on a machine built wheel. They are all over the place.
Old 01-22-20, 09:57 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Swapping rims by taping the rims together and moving spokes one at a time is a time honoured and fool-proof way to do it. But it is the slow way to do it. Much of the time comes from unthreading each nipple and reinserting and rethreading in the new rim.

To do a faster wheel build, in my experience, you need to have the spokes out and sorted by length (usually drive-side/non-drive-side), then make sure you find the correct hole in the rim to get everything lined up to start, then drop all the spokes in to one side of the hub from one direction, lace them into the rim, then repeat this three more times.

When I regularly built wheels in an LBS I would not reuse spokes as unthreading and inspecting and cleaning cost more in shop time than a new set of DT P.G. spokes. Maybe the calculation would work out different if the spokes were more expensive.
Old 01-22-20, 10:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Relaxed, positive mental attitude.

Good music.

Beverage(s) of your choice.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-22-20, 10:39 AM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I like to tape the spokes together at the crossings and then I can remove the old rim and swap in the new one. I put all of the nipples on and then go around and run all of them down the end of the threads. I put my thumbnail against the last thread and run the nipple down until it hits my thumbnail. Then I go around the wheel and tighten each nipple the same amount of turns until it starts to get some tension. At that point, it goes in the stand and gets dished and trued before further tightening.
Thats an interesting way. I like it, means you can clean and prep teh spokes faster also.

- james
www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-22-20, 12:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
The slower I build wheels, the sooner I'm done.
Tension up slower than you need to and recheck often.
"Final" truing is very minor, and I'm usually within +/- 5kgf of same side spokes.
This^^^^

Unless you have a bunch of wheel builds under your belt, I think that an hour is an unrealistic time objective. Most of the time required to build a good wheel has to do with tensioning and final truing.

My trick is to stick my thumb nail into the last spoke thread and tighten every spoke to that level. That gives me an even place for starting a round wheel. From that point on I count turns as I gradually tighten each spoke. I usually start with two full turns, then one full turn, then fractional turns. Start at the valve hole and tighten every spoke by the same amount. This may not be the fastest way to do it but, if you are meticulous, it will keep the wheel round as the tension builds and radial truing is the hardest to correct afterward. As the wheel approaches final tension, I do the finish truing by tightening and loosening opposing pairs of spokes by an equal amount. That keeps the absolute tension as even as possible.

I once built up a 40 spoke tandem wheel using this method that required no truing, either lateral or radial, at all.
Old 01-22-20, 12:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts

Thank you.
"your top tips to get the job done in less than an hour and reasonably well" It's already been said, but here it is again. The top tip - build ~200 wheels in the next two years. Then you may be able to do a decent job on this one in less than an hour. (Make a good portion of those wheels small ones. They will be harder to do than the larger wheels. Shorter, stiffer spokes, harder to bend, etc.)

Ben
Old 01-22-20, 12:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
This^^^^

Unless you have a bunch of wheel builds under your belt, I think that an hour is an unrealistic time objective. Most of the time required to build a good wheel has to do with tensioning and final truing.

My trick is to stick my thumb nail into the last spoke thread and tighten every spoke to that level. That gives me an even place for starting a round wheel. From that point on I count turns as I gradually tighten each spoke. I usually start with two full turns, then one full turn, then fractional turns. Start at the valve hole and tighten every spoke by the same amount. This may not be the fastest way to do it but, if you are meticulous, it will keep the wheel round as the tension builds and radial truing is the hardest to correct afterward. As the wheel approaches final tension, I do the finish truing by tightening and loosening opposing pairs of spokes by an equal amount. That keeps the absolute tension as even as possible.

I once built up a 40 spoke tandem wheel using this method that required no truing, either lateral or radial, at all.
I learned to build wheels with the old Robergel spokes. The spokes out of a sealed box were far from uniform. There was no reference to start with. It would take me probably an hour to get a loosely spoked wheel with some semblance of round and true. (Spoke lengths were not uniform, Depth of threading likewise. Gauges varied, 3 spokes/wheelset would just break in the early miles. I used the very light butted galvanized Sport spokes. Well built and after those bad spokes broke, those wheels went forever and were the weight of the modern DT Revolutions. Building my first Wheelsmith spoked wheel in the '80s was a revelation! Round to start with!

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-22-20, 03:24 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I learned to build wheels with the old Robergel spokes. The spokes out of a sealed box were far from uniform. There was no reference to start with. It would take me probably an hour to get a loosely spoked wheel with some semblance of round and true. (Spoke lengths were not uniform, Depth of threading likewise. Gauges varied, 3 spokes/wheelset would just break in the early miles. I used the very light butted galvanized Sport spokes. Well built and after those bad spokes broke, those wheels went forever and were the weight of the modern DT Revolutions. Building my first Wheelsmith spoked wheel in the '80s was a revelation! Round to start with!

Ben
I did my early wheelbuilding with DT Champion spokes. So consistent were the threads that I would initially tighten the spokes so the last thread was even with the end of the nipple by eye, and often that would be astonishingly radial and lateral true without any more adjustment. I could then count spoke key rotations to bring the wheel up to tension and it would require only minimal adjustment to get it good enough to go to a customer.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 01-22-20, 05:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I didn't build my first new wheel until I was laid up with a bike induced* (extra points) broken tib & fib during the winter of 13-14.
It was an OMG experience!
I had purchased a TS-8 stand & tension meter. a couple years before when I was flipping bikes for side money. Make $20, buy $30-35 worth of tools kind of profit.
My ACTUAL REASON was trying to get those damned Huffy wheels straight enough so I could get the brake pads really close so they had at least some braking.
I quickly learned the limitations of Huffy's & TS-8's.
I had cannibalized a few wheels for parts, so I had "built" a couple "used" wheels. Even with new nipples, a complete pain.
Old 01-23-20, 05:12 AM
Winfried

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Thanks.

I started by screwing each nipple until the end showed through and the screwdriver could no longer work.

At that point, I got a somewhat oval rim, and I wondered: Should I tigthen the few spokes around the section and move the rim closer to the hub, or conversely should I loosen those involved to move the rim away from the hub?

But anyway, after getting a reasonably round wheel, it took only minimal adjustment to correct the lateral wobble.

It's not perfect, but the brakes work fine.

Thanks everyone.

--
Edit

"Ladies! Have you always dreamed of your man becoming a wheelbuider, but were never quite sure how to nudge him in that direction? Well, you can now follow these simple steps:

1. Bring home a set of handbuilt wheels made by somebody else.
2. Talk endlessly about how great they are - how light, how quick, how exquisite.
3. Soon he'll wonder out loud whether he ought to try it too.
4. And to this you reply: "Oh, I don't know... it seems so difficult."
https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2016/...ecreation.html

Last edited by Winfried; 01-23-20 at 06:28 AM.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 01-24-20, 06:59 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

You don't want to do anything to make the nipples more difficult to turn later.

Put enough tension in the wheel (110 kgf rear drive side) and it will stay true until crashed or bent on a road obstacle. Zinc anti-seize is ideal since that corrodes preferentially to aluminum, although plain grease works well.

Insufficiently tensioned wheels can taco hitting bumps when the rim bends enough to slacken the spokes, without lateral support the rim shifts sideways, and the rim springs back while still off center.

While sticky stuff stops loose nipples from turning so wheels stay straight, it doesn't fix the underlying problem which you're better off knowing about.

Wheelsmith developed Spoke Prep to cut warranty returns from heavier riders using under tensioned machine built wheels which wouldn't stay true.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-25-20 at 11:19 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 01-26-20, 11:04 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

I got the Park TM-1 on sale for about $60. It's a one-time purchase and should last virtually forever for the occasional wheel-builder (like me) if it's not mis-treated. It's not digital, but perfectly adequate.
Old 01-26-20, 05:14 PM
Winfried

I got an even cheaper one from China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.