Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Tube Sizes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bicycle Tube Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 03:57 PM
gnrboyd

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.4 FX Hybrid - Early 80s Raleigh Rapide 10 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle Tube Sizes

Because I always overthink things......

I have 700c x 32 Continental Gatorskin tires that I use on a Trek FX Hybrid which I ride mostly on a gravel trail. The tubes I have been using are Specialized 700 x 28-38C. Today, I bought some Continental Race that fit 700 x 25-32C (model 0181921) that were on sale.

When I bought them, I was skeptical because the 32 tire is the max size these tubes will fit. The tubes I had been using fit 28-38 and I liked the fact that they would handle a bigger tire. I thought that when I used them in my 32, they would be less expanded therefore less likely to puncture. Because 32 is the top end of the range for this tube, do you feel it is more likely to puncture or am I just overthinking this?

By the way, I do use Mr. Tuffy liners and I also am not concerned about weight savings using a thinner tube.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-26-20, 04:02 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by gnrboyd
am I just overthinking this?
Thanks for your input.
Yes.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-26-20, 04:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Generally it's thought that fitting a wider tube results in less stretching as it expands within the tire/rim resulting is less chance of pressure bleed down. Perhaps better in dealing with abrasion from the tire's inner surface. Andy
Old 01-26-20, 04:33 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
As for abrasion I powder, with baby powder, my tubes before installing. Plus I like the smell!
Old 01-26-20, 05:51 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
If they are spec'ed to 32 then you'll be just fine. It is when you use an underspec'ed tube that you should worry. It may still work but I'd replace it as soon as I could.
Old 01-26-20, 06:49 PM
gnrboyd

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.4 FX Hybrid - Early 80s Raleigh Rapide 10 Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, it sounds like my theory is correct based upon Andrew Stewart's comment, although likely not a major concern based upon other comments.

(And Tandem Tom, I'm not much for the smell of baby powder, but thanks for the tip.)

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 01-26-20, 07:00 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
In this case, I don't think it really matters, the forming of innertubes / method of manufacture is pretty in-precise from the get go with regard to wall thickness of material that could affect expansion abrasion.

James
​​​​​​​www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-26-20, 08:07 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
As for abrasion I powder, with baby powder, my tubes before installing. Plus I like the smell!
Ditto on that. I have been powdering all my tubes and the inside of my tires since 1974 if not earlier... for same reason. For last 10 years or so, I have switched to powdered cornstarch instead of baby powder as baby powder is now known to cause ovarian cancer in ladies so I don't want it around the shop or on my clothes when going back to the house or tent. Costs the same, so makes sense there also.
Old 01-26-20, 08:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I stopped using powder on tubes a number of years ago after reading some persuasive arguments that it really serves no purpose. No problems without it. Tubes do sometimes stick a bit to the inside of the tire but pull apart easily.
Old 01-26-20, 09:28 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Kinda off topic but what is the actual science behind baby powder between tube and inside of tyre?

James
​​​​​​​www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-27-20, 11:17 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by gnrboyd
Because 32 is the top end of the range for this tube, do you feel it is more likely to puncture or am I just overthinking this?
Maybe I've been under-thinking it?
I use Continental race 28 tubes in both 28mm road 33mm knobby clincher tires. I've used the 20-25 size many times in both of these tire sizes without issues and found no advantages or reason to use the 25-32 size (which is still technically too small for the 33mm cross tires).

The only difference I find is that the 20-25 size fits into my seat bag easier. I usually just buy a few of whichever is cheaper/available at the time.