Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just asking what makes Super Bikes so Super?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-06-20, 07:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Time to bounce, dawgs. Enjoy yourselves.
Old 02-06-20, 08:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

According to many of my non-cycling acquaintances it always seems to come down to whether or not you can lift it with only 2 fingers.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-06-20, 08:39 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
All my bikes are Super Duper! and Pee-Chee-Keen! The engine needs a major tuneup just to be Okay.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-07-20, 06:59 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
It's the engine
I'm not sure it's true. At least it's not true when talking about supercars - a 500 hp Ferrari or Lamborghini (or any other more or less exotic two seater, especially mid-engined) is a supercar, while a 500 hp sedan or SUV is not.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-07-20, 07:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyTm
Hi, group it's been a while since I've posted anything on here and during that time a lot has changed with my interest in the cycling world. When I first joined, I was a newbie just beginning my journey into road cycling and knew very little to nothing about real "Roadie" cycling. I quickly became somewhat educated throughout my progression into this crazy world of cycling.

I started out with a 1990's Cannondale MTB which I converted to a hybrid to do a 5 or so mile ride 2-4 times weekly. Then I upgraded to a 2012 Specialized Allez Comp with Sram Apexs components. I started pushing my rides to a 10-15 mile runs for 3-5 days a week. I again upgraded to a like new condition 2016 Specialized Roubaix with 105 Shimano’s, Cosmic carbon fiber rims (super lightweight) Continental 4 seasons tires, cateye computer system, specialized clipless shoes, look pedals, Specialized power seat. I purchased a Giro helmet as well as the full cycling jersey! I think my wife's is going to exploded if I don't find a new "cheaper" hobby lol.

I had read here where this starts out as a hobby, then move into a passion finally stopping as an obsession and oh, how true this is. I now try and ride 20 miles daily for 4-5 days and 40 to 60 mile runs on the weekend in attempts to one day do a century ride. I've started monitoring my cadence more than my mph trying to maintain an 80-rpm average which has boosted not only my rides but has help my physical stamina considerably. I will say my new to me Specialized Roubaix with the 105's has been the best cycling machine I've had the pleasure of riding. I know it has a ton more to give I just must get to its level of performance.

I got to ask what make a super bike a super bike? Are the Pinarello's and other higher end super bikes that much better? I understand the lighter carbon composite frames, but the components are basically the same such as 105, Ultegra, Etap's, Di2 ect. so why the huge difference in cost?? Is it just name or status or does it have something to do with actual performance? Don't get me wrong at this point I have NO reason to replace my Roubaix and when that time comes, I'll more than likely keep it and just purchase a new one because that's how pleased I am of it.

I'm mainly curious and looking for more insight on what makes theses super bikes so super?? Just asking, safe riding! Please forgive any grammar issues

New to me Specialized Roubaix
advertising.
Old 02-07-20, 09:30 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
My comparison would be a pretty nice carbon Synapse I had with 105 components versus my current S-Works with DA Di2 and all the candy Specialized could throw at it 2 years ago. Weight difference is not earth shaking - the S Works is 16.5 lbs ready to ride and set up for a Clydesdale class rider (heavy Look pedals and replaced the carbon aero handlebars with a more comfy aluminum Specialized Hover bar) - and the Cannondale was around 18.5 , but with a boat anchor FSA crankset and alloy wheels

The retail price on the S Works is pretty high while the retail on the 105 Synapse is roughly 20% of the cost. The ride is night and day different between the 2 with the S Works being more efficient and stiffer , yet more comfortable at the same time. The bike doesn't have a "dead" feeling on the road and I feel like I can climb anything on it within reason
The Cannondale in comparison - although the Synapse is supposed to be a more comfortable bike , is not. It feels slower and literally feels like it takes more effort to stay on top of the gear and the ride is like some people say about other carbon bikes when they say its like riding a block of wood -- the bike just doesn't give much feedback
ITs not the weight difference either -- I would pick the 21 lb vintage Colnago over the Cannondale if I ever had to go on a fast ride

I think if the Cannondale were built with equivalent wheels and an equivalent Dura Ace build kit and lighter post, bars etc -- the weight difference between it and the Tarmac would be not much but I still cant get past the fact that the Cannondale rides like a block of wood while every pedal stroke seems to be energized on the Specialized

But - big but -- I wonder what difference the wheels alone make too

Superbike circa 1990 (literally a Colnago Super) - it just looks trick and turns heads everytime I bring it out in public -- like a vintage Ferrari

Superbike circa 2018 - S Works Tarmac

Carbon Cannondale Synapse , 105 equipped (not a "Superbike" )
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-07-20, 10:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't know the answer but I do know that next year there will be a new bike out that's even more "super".
Old 02-07-20, 10:20 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
It depends on how impressed total strangers are with the amount of money they believe you spent on the brand that you flaunt.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 02-07-20, 10:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-07-20, 10:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by aabb
Easy there, tiger.
It's remarkable that instead of typing something that's readable, he went out of hos way to type this as reply;

"mlkwdnm'ovbmao'dvma'dl vmad'lfkvm'ldsakfml'skfamvl'dfskmvlksmvla'kmvs'lakvmas'lkvms'lafkdzvsaf'ldkvfsl'dkmvsa'lkmvsa'lkvm'l kfvmas'lkvmsf'lakvms'alkvms'ALVMSA'LDFKMLKVMLDKFNB FKJDA;NVLKSANMVLK'MV'SDLMKVFKMDA'KLNMB'LKMNknmvlkadfnblfdkabnmlkdfamblkadbmfkldambldkfamba'ldkmbfkle abmlkdafmba'dlkfbvkdbvmbvlkda'mvbdksabvMVS'lfkmvsLKMVFLMKVFK'LAMBA'LFDKBMFD'LAKBMFDLKMABVLKFDNMlkdmb klgfmbklsmngggblkmlfkmbglkmsd;lamvmdlkmfblkdbmfgmbl;fdkgpodlkmgvb;lxmb;xbLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!"

What an amazing waste of effort to get free advise.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-07-20, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

dork disk=non superbike. Just sayin'.
Old 02-07-20, 12:25 PM
TinyTm

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
It's remarkable that instead of typing something that's readable, he went out of hos way to type this as reply;

"mlkwdnm'ovbmao'dvma'dl vmad'lfkvm'ldsakfml'skfamvl'dfskmvlksmvla'kmvs'lakvmas'lkvms'lafkdzvsaf'ldkvfsl'dkmvsa'lkmvsa'lkvm'l kfvmas'lkvmsf'lakvms'alkvms'ALVMSA'LDFKMLKVMLDKFNB FKJDA;NVLKSANMVLK'MV'SDLMKVFKMDA'KLNMB'LKMNknmvlkadfnblfdkabnmlkdfamblkadbmfkldambldkfamba'ldkmbfkle abmlkdafmba'dlkfbvkdbvmbvlkda'mvbdksabvMVS'lfkmvsLKMVFLMKVFK'LAMBA'LFDKBMFD'LAKBMFDLKMABVLKFDNMlkdmb klgfmbklsmngggblkmlfkmbglkmsd;lamvmdlkmfblkdbmfgmbl;fdkgpodlkmgvb;lxmb;xbLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!"

What an amazing waste of effort to get free advise.
WOW, give it a break!
First, what free advise did anyone ask for???

I'm sorry, I failed to read the sites disclaimer that we'd be attacked for grammar and or punctuation on all threads posted?
Let us clarify and clear the air about your so called free advise??

"Not for nothing but I stopped reading after the 2nd sentence.The “Wall of Words” problem.You ever hear of a thing called the “Paragraph” ?

I can take professional criticism as well as anyone. You sir, were being a A$$wipe and defiantly not trying to be helpful or give advise no matter how you spin it.. If you don't like what I or anyone writes move on, it's that simple. No comment need because non were ask of you.
"Don't poke the bear, if so be prepared to get poked back". Safe riding.
Likes For TinyTm:
Old 02-07-20, 12:30 PM
indyfabz

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-20, 01:08 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
It depends on how impressed total strangers are with the amount of money they believe you spent on the brand that you flaunt.
Bicycles are the ultimate affordable status symbol.

Park a $50,000 bass boat and trailer in your driveway and your neighbors might not even notice. Casually let it drop that you paid $2,500 for a bike that you still have to pedal and they'll think you must be made of money.
Old 02-07-20, 01:10 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
dork disk=non superbike. Just sayin'.
Superdork? I might justifiably be considered that at times.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-07-20, 01:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyTm
WOW, give it a break!
Your current original post was edited to make it easier to read. Thank you.

Yes, the old timers, like myself, have the occasional bad day when replying (and yes it's free).

Apologies.

Too many times we deal with what seem to be somebody posting from a phone or whatever, with little effort made to make the post clear and easy enough to understand. Thus the "wall of words" issue we see all too often. You seemingly understood and made your OP much easier to read. OTOH, my little anal rant seemed to have an effect.

"I got to ask what make a super bike a super bike". They're not super, just expensive as the manufacturer cashes in on brand name. In theory many manufacturers make an effort to control the quality of the frame and that's supposed to cost more. I suspect if they do that, then it drives the price up. Other times the manufacturers invest in design to make the frame ride "better" which is a completely subjective thing. Sometimes a review states there's a difference in the ride, maybe GCN is honest, not sure who else, certainly not Bicycling Magazine. Someplace on YT is a video done by a guy in Australia who's supposed to be knowledgeable about carbon bike building, where he cuts in half a BMC or some such and examines the build, to his and others dismay as they realize it's not particularly well built

My own take is there likely is a difference in quality and ride, but maybe not worth the extra $2,000 - $3,000 difference between bikes of same component groups. I question the value, for instance of a $3,000 Colnago FRAME. Thats' name brand BS as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-07-20 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-07-20, 05:56 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts

My 1993 Zipp2001 converted into a single speed, part of the beam bike wars of the early 90's.

Her twin sister also from 1993 still set-up as a TT bike. I used this one for ultra endurance races for 6 years, along with two weekly club TT's for almost 8 years.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 02-07-20, 06:16 PM
TinyTm

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001

My 1993 Zipp2001 converted into a single speed, part of the beam bike wars of the early 90's.

Her twin sister also from 1993 still set-up as a TT bike. I used this one for ultra endurance races for 6 years, along with two weekly club TT's for almost 8 years.
WOW! Very nice!
Likes For TinyTm:
Old 02-07-20, 10:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
What makes a super bike is tiny gains at huge expense.

You could get almost all of it by getting some super tires/tubes, a race-fit outfit, and an aero helmet.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-08-20, 12:37 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
And yet, as one rides a 'super bike' one constantly thinks of improvements; longer reach, softer ride, stiffer fork, more/fewer/higher/lower gears, ovalized tube, grease fittings on the pedals, saddle made of unborn vicuna...
Likes For Pratt:
Old 02-08-20, 03:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

My own take is there likely is a difference in quality and ride, but maybe not worth the extra $2,000 - $3,000 difference between bikes of same component groups. I question the value, for instance of a $3,000 Colnago FRAME. Thats' name brand BS as far as I can tell.
So here's the question.. is one of these a superbike frame, and because of the discount, the other isnt?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=grey_black

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=grey_black
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-08-20, 03:35 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I know I already said it has to be red but I remembered there is more. It must have a proprietary integrated stem handlebar with internal routing, the seatpost must be D shaped and have an integrated binding mechanism, again proprietary. It must only be offered with electronic shifting and only use proprietary aerodynamic water bottle holders.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 02-08-20, 04:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I know I already said it has to be red but I remembered there is more. It must have a proprietary integrated stem handlebar with internal routing, the seatpost must be D shaped and have an integrated binding mechanism, again proprietary. It must only be offered with electronic shifting and only use proprietary aerodynamic water bottle holders.
No, we're taking about real Superbikes, i.e. bikes that use proprietary aerodynamic water.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-08-20, 06:31 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I thought a superbike is when the frame color matches your shoes.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 02-08-20, 07:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I thought a superbike is when the frame color matches your shoes.
No, those are super shoes. A super bike is when your shoes match the frame color.
Likes For HTupolev:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.