Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Today, I was the prey

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Today, I was the prey

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 02:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
gonna show this one to Wifey cuz she has an intimate knowledge of suck bollards!

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-06-20, 02:22 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Coolest chase I ever had was by a dog that would have laughed at your 400 watts. 1977, at the height of my racing days, I was going downhill and passed a house at the back of a big front lawn. Dog was on the front steps and saw me as I passed the walk. 20 feet behind me at the corner of the lot after I accelerated for all I was worth. Quickly beside me. Then it just paced me down the hill. No bark, no growl, no move to either get ahead or get close to me. Never passed my BB. But we both knew that if there was a finish line anywhere on that hill, I was taking second. The dog was just cruising. When the hill leveled out, he turned around and trotted home. Job done.

15 years later, my neighbor got a whippet. Looked very familiar. Like my pursuer, a classy dog. And also a rocket.

Ben
I wonder if it was a Saluki? They wee bred to run down Cheetahs. My sister had one and a Greyhound is no match for one.

Cheers
Old 03-07-20, 10:26 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I was paddling my kayak across a small lake in Northern Ontario Canada when a fellow in a boat came up to me and asked if that was my dog. It was. I had got my dad to drop me off at the start of my trip and this was the end of it and he was back to pick me up. He had brought my dog with him and she decided she'd join me. Fortunately she was a terrier/lab cross and was not a full size lab and Iwas able to pull her into my kayak.

Cheers
That's awesome.

When I was in middle school we had an Irish Setter that would follow you into water whether you were in the water or in a boat. I remember firing up my grandpa's john boat with no dog in sight and that Irish Setter would come bounding across the property wanting to be part of the action. He'd jump in the water and swim to you even if you were 50 yards out and moving away. I always had to turn back to get him back on shore, or take him with me.
Old 03-07-20, 08:15 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Where, behind the rabbit?
It IS the rabbit!

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 03-08-20, 01:16 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I've been lucky; there's only one house on one ride with loose dogs; the big one ambles out to say hi, and the little 10lb beast comes roaring out, trying to cut us off at the ankles. And of course it's near the top of a very steep hill. Hijinks usually ensue, but no blood so far.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-08-20, 02:30 PM
FredoLentamente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recall seeing an interview in which a surfer was asked whether he worried about shark attacks. He responded, "What a noble way to go!"
Likes For FredoLentamente:
Old 03-08-20, 03:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I didn't used to worry much about dogs chasing us, but a friend was badly injured when a free range dog on the MUP knocked her down. She's had 11 surgeries to reconstruct the elbow and repair nerve damage. She's back to her former jolly self, but a couple of years ago right after the injury she was pretty down.

And right about that time on the same MUP another free range dog nearly clobbered me. He appeared to be on a leash but it turned out the human wasn't actually holding the leash. I skid-braked a flat spot in the rear tire.

So I started carrying pepper gel spray. I haven't used it yet. But if I do it'll be to discourage the dog from chasing anyone again, so humans and dogs will both be safer. I'm usually more tempted to hose down the irresponsible humans than the dogs.

The world needs more skunks ambushing cyclists.

Closest I've come to this scenario was along my favorite rural route. Baby skunk wanted to check me out but mama body checked and shooed baby back to the roadside.

Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-08-20, 05:25 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Yep, this past fall. But the dog on my wheel was about 100+ lbs. Think I was saved by the owners chasing it down in their car. I was 100% eyes forward and focused on watts.
Old 03-08-20, 07:24 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I'll admit (now well-past the statute of limitations) that I literally took out such a doggie. I was riding home late one summer night after a few hours on the local tennis courts, playing against my buddy who worked there...

As I was riding home through a residential housing development, I suddenly heard that scratching behind me. I looked back to see a white German Shepard about to tear into my right ankle. As I was carrying my tennis racquet across my handlebars, I instinctively grabbed the racquet and swung against the threat. My right backhand caught the doggie-noggin square in the side with the edge of my racquet, knocking its head into my rear spokes. My body was putting out 1000w due to Adrenalin, so I didn't stop. I heard the next day that 'the dog must have been hit by a car' because it was found dead in the street -- I had caved it's head in...

One other time a few years later in college, I was riding in a pack of 10-12 riders at 25+mph when a little white yapper ran out to chase us. The third rider hit the doggie with his front wheel and knocked it down, and the rest of us piled on. Again, dead doggie -- Death by Peloton. Lots of damage to all us riders (and bikes), too.

Around 1960, my folks used to live in 'the sticks', and Dad carried a squeeze-bulb full of ammonia solution to discourage the farm dogs from chasing him...
Old 03-08-20, 08:50 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Unfortunately, due to living situation, I used to cycle alot in the city, and in some areas not so nice. I was riding with a friend of mine named fred, very solid rider. We used to like one of the trailer-ish areas as it was kinda built like a nice circular crit with less traffic than the city streets. But that area was kinda rough...nice ride going until we heard something that would terrify any cyclists...a large bang of a screen door being knocked open and a child screaming "No cujo nooo!!!"....we turned around to see a huge rottweiler with hungry eyes streaking at us. Thank the Lord above we had a good jump and we peddled at a blue streak that woulda smoked lance on any mountain!!! After the beast finally gave up, we both dismounted, layed in the grass and made sure rest legs, heart and nerves....I've been chased a bit, but that was the worst beast that almost ate us for sure
Likes For Chad991:
Old 03-09-20, 09:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
At least we don't have to deal with tigers.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-09-20, 09:32 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Glad someone got the reference!
Old 03-09-20, 09:59 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
My previous bike route included a 10 km stint on the highway (well, actually on the paved shoulder of the highway). One morning I looked across to see a coyote galloping along across from me, head down, causing me to question "how fast can them suckers run, anyway?"
Old 03-09-20, 10:12 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian deacon
My previous bike route included a 10 km stint on the highway (well, actually on the paved shoulder of the highway). One morning I looked across to see a coyote galloping along across from me, head down, causing me to question "how fast can them suckers run, anyway?"
Cut and pasted from a Google search "How fast can a coyote run".

During pursuit, a coyote may reach speeds up to 43 mph (69 km/h), and can jump a distance of over 4 meters (13⅛ feet).

For a coyote, moderate distances are considered up to a few miles. In order to retain enough stamina to maintain a constant speed, coyotes go slightly slower at this pace--about 20 miles an hour.

WOW!

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 11:07 AM
Mesher

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol
Old 03-09-20, 11:10 AM
Mesher

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An unexpected attack like that could be upsetting, in every way, even from a small critter.
Old 03-09-20, 11:21 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I was on tour a while back. A big dog (bloodhound? Don't recall) see me coming from at least 100 yards ahead, and just sits down in the middle of the road. Obviously there's no way I could outrun him, even if I weren't beat and schlepping 60 lb combined bike and gear. I slow down, and as I approach, it's clear he just wanted me to pet him. That was easy.

Also, on the same tour, I passed through Mississippi, and although there were a lot of loose dogs, they all stopped at the edge of their yards. Every one. I figured the Invisible Fence salesman must have just passed through. I recall a pair of spoiled-looking lap dogs trotting to the edge of their yard, and out of some vestige of territorial instinct that hadn't quite been bred out of them, one gave me a single "yap." I laughed.
Old 03-09-20, 11:34 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguron
Once cycling in the Santa Cruz mountains back in the 90's I had a pretty vicious dog chase me. As I was scurrying to get away I looked back and saw he only had three legs...this made me all the more tense because I figured he was probably dedicated enough to lose that leg chasing the last guy...
You're lucky it was a dog. Nowadays it could just as well be a 150+ lb. tan colored feline (i.e. mtn. lion...and you prob'ly thought I was going to write "bike" A number of years ago a woman was jogging at the Stanford Dish and was attacked and killed by a cougar (no, don't go there with that joke And a couple of years or so ago some guy in So. Cal was attacked (don't remember if he was killed) by a mtn. lion while riding a mtn. bike with his friend in the hills.

Moral of the story....there are worse things out to get you than a dog nipping at your feet.....
Old 03-09-20, 01:45 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I have a dog that predictably chases after me at a place where I'm nearing the end of a climb. I call him hot dog and have gotten to a point where its a competition between he and I as to when he spots me and if I can accelerate fast enough to leave him in the dust. He's little so I worry more about his safety than mine. One day I came up near the crest of the hill as usual and he came out and started to chase. I chuckled as I knew I had him beat. However, he had a friend over for a visit and this friend was no joke (pit bull). He also started further up the road and had me in his sights. I don't think I pedaled so hard in my life but escaped unscathed. I haven't seen him since but I am really wary now every time I'm on that road.
Old 03-09-20, 02:28 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
This happened to me when I was probably 12 or 13.

Riding my bike on a fairly familiar route, next to a highway with lots of retail around, so I'd ride through the parking lots. Came near a corner and this dog just comes out of nowhere, growling and snarling like a mad hound. Looked like some sort of sheppard / husky mix. No getting away - he came at me from a front angle. SOMEHOW I managed to dismount and the get bike between me and the monster. We circled around each other like that for what felt like a really long time, all while I'm trying to find some angle where I can get the jump on him and take off, but he was having none of it.

FINALLY a guy in a van comes off the road and eases in between me and the dog. I was grateful as hell for that kind stranger, but I didn't wait around. He gave me the opening and I took off. If the dog gave chase I never noticed. Did NOT look back...
Old 03-09-20, 04:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Eddy!!!

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-09-20, 04:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I wonder if it was a Saluki? They wee bred to run down Cheetahs. My sister had one and a Greyhound is no match for one.

Cheers
No, it was a whippet, just like my neighbor's. Recognized it instantly when I saw that second one. I don't know the whippet story but I've heard many times that they are considerably faster accelerating and higher top end than a greyhound. The perhaps 35 mph I was doing was nowhere near my pursuer's top end.
Old 03-09-20, 05:52 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Salukis, whippets and greyhounds are all dogs from the sight hound family, meaning they are ALL fast as heck! Dunno which is fastest. Just count your blessings you were able to get away from whichever sight hound was on your six.

Last edited by Rage; 03-09-20 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 07:21 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Just dial it up to 400 and teach him a lesson.

Yes! Drope the Hamer !
Old 03-10-20, 07:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Yes! Drope the Hamer !

Only if Poochie is wearing a team jersey.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.