Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Steel De Bernardi Road Bike Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 12:26 PM
Rdrett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Steel De Bernardi Road Bike Value?

Check this bike out
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Steel-...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
is it worth what he is asking? $1,400

Here is the same model brand new but original for cheaper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Bernardi...gAAOxyqUpQ5ff8
Old 04-25-20, 12:36 PM
Rdrett

The guy who owns it is a dirtbag.
He had it listed on Facebook for $2,000 and I found he had it listed on eBay for $1,350.
i asked him why it was listed on eBay for $1,350 and he ended the eBay listing and told me $1,400 was the bottom dollar, $50 more than he had it listed on eBay.
And I am local so he would not have to ship it.
unless this bike is worth $3,000 I don’t want to deal with this D-bag.
Old 04-26-20, 01:28 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
So he wants about $1200 for the bike but anticipates people "negotiating" on FB so he sets the ask at $2000, hoping to be negotiated down to a reasonable amount >= $1200.
Way less room for that kind of thing on Ebay, so he has a BIN of 1350 which amounts to that same $1200 after fees.

He doesn't want you to have to deal with a scumbag like him so he ends the Ebay listing and blocks you on FB.
Old 04-26-20, 01:42 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
De Bernardi are well made Italian frames, especially the one I have seen using Zona steel.
Different selling sites have different fees associated with the sales and with ebay, there are listing, paypal, and state tax fees.
Blocking usually has to do with harrashment.
I dont see any good reason for the name calling, does not reflect well on the caller.
Old 04-26-20, 02:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
This is typical behavior from a seller with a low feedback score, being called out for bad practice, they know it and can't handle it so they respond negatively.
Old 04-26-20, 06:31 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
It isn’t my cup of tea so wouldn’t get within social distancing distance of it for anything over $500, even then I’d likely sell off all the components

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-26-20, 09:30 AM
Rdrett

Originally Posted by Mackers
So he wants about $1200 for the bike but anticipates people "negotiating" on FB so he sets the ask at $2000, hoping to be negotiated down to a reasonable amount >= $1200.
Way less room for that kind of thing on Ebay, so he has a BIN of 1350 which amounts to that same $1200 after fees.

He doesn't want you to have to deal with a scumbag like him so he ends the Ebay listing and blocks you on FB.
Well I had offered you $1,200 for the bike, I had a cash burning a hole in my pocket.

So if you truly wanted $1,200 for the bike then you are a terrible negotiator because you lost the one in only chance of selling the bike for what you wanted.

The ebay and PayPal fees fees on $1,350 is $175 for a total profit of $1,175. I offered you $1,200 and you would not have to ship it.

You get mad like a 10 year old and remove the Ebay listing and block me on Facebook, What a baby.

Good luck William selling your bike.
Old 04-26-20, 09:45 AM
Rdrett

Old 04-26-20, 12:25 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett
Well I had offered you $1,200 for the bike, I had a cash burning a hole in my pocket.

So if you truly wanted $1,200 for the bike then you are a terrible negotiator because you lost the one in only chance of selling the bike for what you wanted.

The ebay and PayPal fees fees on $1,350 is $175 for a total profit of $1,175. I offered you $1,200 and you would not have to ship it.

You get mad like a 10 year old and remove the Ebay listing and block me on Facebook, What a baby.

Good luck William selling your bike.

Guessing that by now you've figured out I am not the seller, but it looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

Sorry about being wrong about the fees though, I use neither Ebay nor PP but that's even worse than I thought.

I had no idea Ebay can automatically lower the price. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I do believe he should've checked that. Can't agree with describing this as "New" either since quite clearly it has been used.

As for the comparison to the other bike, the guy's not wrong, he's put a near new 11 speed group on that frame set with some nice wheels and really nice tyres.

The other bike has a lower range tube set built up with 9 speed 105 and Tiagra. It may be somewhat original, but that front derailleur looks an awful lot like a Campagnolo item also 100% sure that seatpost isn't original, but that doesn't make the bike more valuable.
Old 04-26-20, 01:34 PM
Rdrett

Originally Posted by Mackers
Guessing that by now you've figured out I am not the seller, but it looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

Sorry about being wrong about the fees though, I use neither Ebay nor PP but that's even worse than I thought.

I had no idea Ebay can automatically lower the price. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I do believe he should've checked that. Can't agree with describing this as "New" either since quite clearly it has been used.

As for the comparison to the other bike, the guy's not wrong, he's put a near new 11 speed group on that frame set with some nice wheels and really nice tyres.

The other bike has a lower range tube set built up with 9 speed 105 and Tiagra. It may be somewhat original, but that front derailleur looks an awful lot like a Campagnolo item also 100% sure that seatpost isn't original, but that doesn't make the bike more valuable.
No I thought you were the seller, Are you a psychic? I thought you were the seller because you knew exactly what was going on.
how did you know that he blocked me on Facebook? Psychic? What other powers do you have?
Old 04-26-20, 01:37 PM
Rdrett

EBay can’t lower the price on your item. YOU can set it up to lower the price after a specific time if it doesn’t sell.
that was a lie.
Old 04-26-20, 02:37 PM
cleroica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
The used car salesman-esque description, and the fact that he listed payment options other than PayPal on an eBay listing would have had me moving on instantly. Those "key Italian parts" do make it quite "sexy", though
Old 04-26-20, 02:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Hello everyone - have a nice day!

Now it can be locked

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 04-26-20, 04:34 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Extreme top end Robin Williams collection esque pricing on both of those bikes

My market sucks admittedly but I recently sold my Pinarello Opera (steel frame, carbon seat stays) with full DA 7800 for $400.

YEs - coulda got more on ebay, or parting it out, yada yada yada --- but it was what it was .

DeBErnardi's are fine bicycles in their own right - I own 3 of them - but their value is not in the same county as a Pinarello, MErckx or Colnago . More like a Gios or Ciocc
Old 04-26-20, 04:56 PM
Rdrett

Originally Posted by DMC707
Extreme top end Robin Williams collection esque pricing on both of those bikes

My market sucks admittedly but I recently sold my Pinarello Opera (steel frame, carbon seat stays) with full DA 7800 for $400.

YEs - coulda got more on ebay, or parting it out, yada yada yada --- but it was what it was .

DeBErnardi's are fine bicycles in their own right - I own 3 of them - but their value is not in the same county as a Pinarello, MErckx or Colnago . More like a Gios or Ciocc
Please let me know next time you are going to give on away! I would of happily gave you $500.
Old 04-27-20, 06:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
...DeBErnardi's are fine bicycles in their own right - I own 3 of them - but their value is not in the same county as a Pinarello, MErckx or Colnago . More like a Gios or Ciocc
Unfortunately, this true. The bicycle market is highly is driven by reputation rather than actual merit. DeBernardi builds some fine frames but the're known primarily as a contract builder for private label brands, in the same vein as Bilatto. So, while they have even have built some of those brands, DeBernardi just doesn't have the same recognition or prestige. There's a definite stigma attached to being basically a higher volume job shop. Things might be different if they had sponsored a top category pro team and had a palmares with some significant victories.
Old 04-28-20, 07:54 PM
aprieto28

Bikes: Kuwahara Tandem, Centurion Ironman, Rossin, De bernardi, Schwinn Paramount, Giubilato, Gitane TDF, Medici, Scott Solice.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
90's Debernardi. What might it be worth?

90's De Bernardi 9 speed Veloce group.
Old 04-29-20, 07:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by aprieto28

90's De Bernardi 9 speed Veloce group.

Nice ---- judging from the decal scheme , the frame must be from the same era as one of mine - also Veloce 9 speed . I have it set up as sort of a "sport touring" rig with the tall stem, comfortable flared out bars and the triple

Likes For DMC707: