Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydration during the time of Covid-19

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydration during the time of Covid-19

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 05:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
For anybody reading this who's new to cycling: it's a good idea to have electrolyte stuff in one water bottle, and plain water in the other. The electrolytes are more thirst quenching, water works too but if you crash or go by a crash, plain water can be useful for cleaning out a wound. And other things too.
Old 05-27-20, 05:28 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Danball1
Hello,

I've had a nice road bike for a few years but never really got around to taking up the sport. Recently, because of the coronavirus, I decided I would get into it again. I've been riding 25-50 miles a day and have really enjoyed it. However, I've been finding that the two water bottles that I take with me have not been sufficient for my rides, and all the water fountains are turned off because of corona. I was wondering how you guys would suggest I take extra water with me. Hydration packs make my back hurt, but I was thinking maybe I should use one of the behind-the-seat triathlon water cages. Any thoughts or other ideas? Thanks in advance guys.
I don't know which bottles you have, but Soma has a bike water bottle called the Further that holds 38 oz. That's way more than usual bottles. I think my Camelbak Podium Chill bottles hold 24oz. Two of the Soma bottles would hold a little more than three of the Camelbak bottles.

I've done rides in the past where I put one or two normal thin plastic water bottles in my jersey pockets, and also brought my two frame-mounted bottles. At some point I pulled over and either chugged the water bottles from my jersey pocket, or transferred the contents to my bike bottles. I just scrunched up the empty bottles and put them back in my jersey pocket.
Old 05-27-20, 06:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Generally, liquor stores are "essential" so you can always run in and get a tall boy
Old 05-27-20, 07:03 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
A little creativity goes a long way. I can also put another bottle in my back pocket. I'd prefer to avoid having to walk into convenience stores at this time. Especially in the part of NY that has confederate flags (stolen from SNL, but so appropriate).
Old 05-27-20, 07:04 PM
Danball1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Above 75 degrees I'll use more than 20oz per hour. It hasn't been that hot here in the NYC area past month so I haven't run out yet.

Convenience stores are always open, I typically stop there if I'm out more then 2-1-2. hrs.

Zefel makes a 33oz water bottle, vs.a standard 20oz.or 24 oz.

Or a Camelback.

Or some add-on fabric carriers designed for bike-packing, they mount on the sides of the stem. Topeak makes carriers for extra bottles as well.
Ordered the larger bottles. Thanks for the recommendation! I guess I'll just stick to buying from convenience stores if I need to cause I don't ride with a Jersey (yet, I guess).
Old 05-27-20, 07:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
And as note for everybody, a touring site called The Bicycle Touring Pro, having been all over Europe many times, Darren figured out that the cemeteries had water as folks use it on flowers. Never tried that here, curious.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-27-20, 07:51 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Even if the fountains were on I wouldn't use them here in NYC at this point. It seems like all the street vendors are gone too. I went on a longish ride today and could've used more water but I was close enough to home at that point. I don't like stopping at the bodegas but they are actually usually very friendly. And I stop at a bike shop at the 20 mile mark where I sometimes turn around and they usually have a cooler full of drinks, but I didn't get that far today.
Old 05-28-20, 02:18 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
We have so many fountains here, I now in fact get annoyed if I do a route where there are none.
Old 05-28-20, 02:46 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That's just summer in Texas, 'rona or not. I always take two 24 oz bottles with electrolytes (and sometimes other supplements), and often add a collapsible Mylar pouch from the freezer. That goes in my jersey pocket. By the time it thaws I'll probably need it.

Even with three water containers and some access to convenience stores I ran out partway through a summer century a couple of years ago. I misjudged my distance to the next store. I stopped at a rural park hoping to find a fountain or hose. Fortunately some folks grilling gave me a water bottle.

I'm considering adding a somewhat larger seat bag with water bottle pouch for the next longer summer ride. I usually average only 14 mph on solo century rides anyway so a little extra water won't weigh me down, especially on my old steel road bike. It already weighs about 25 lbs.

If I'm doing workout rides near home I just carry one bottle and circle home after 20 miles or an hour. But I'm lucky to have a couple of great workout loops of 2 to 10 miles nearby, so I don't need to carry much.

And I know some folks who drive to a park and ride spot that gives them a sort of base location to circle back to for a cooler of drinks and snacks, while they venture farther from home. For folks who enjoy chasing KOMs that's a pretty good plan for carrying as little as possible with low risk.
Old 05-28-20, 05:15 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28590 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Pre-hydrate
Correct.
Old 05-29-20, 07:40 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For anybody reading this who's new to cycling: it's a good idea to have electrolyte stuff in one water bottle, and plain water in the other. The electrolytes are more thirst quenching, water works too but if you crash or go by a crash, plain water can be useful for cleaning out a wound. And other things too.
sadly had to use my fresh water to clean out some road rash just last week, it's been said before but I'll say it again be careful around trolley/train tracks.
Old 05-29-20, 08:38 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I added a third cage on my down tube. I call it my "covid cage" 😁
Old 05-29-20, 04:35 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Still lighter than the backpack I carry during my work commute. Hope he doesn't try to grab the bottles while in motion.
Old 05-29-20, 08:24 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
For rides longer than 2-3 hours, set out early in the morning. You will need less water in the cooler temps. Plus, you’ll finish your ride earlier in the day and have more time after to do other stuff.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 05-29-20, 08:30 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
This. Since my Hawaii trip a couple years ago I’ve been big on the Nuun tabs. 1 water, 1 electrolyte, any time I think/know I’ll be out for longer than 90mins.

The water is still important. Can’t dump a bottle of electrolyte mix over your head halfway up a climb.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 05-29-20, 08:52 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Hope he doesn't try to grab the bottles while in motion.
You think he stops to collect or distribute those bottles? You'd be amazed what those pros can do while riding their bike. I once saw a video of a pro woman making an omelette while riding her rollers in her kitchen.

OP - when I'm running low on water, I'll ask someone I see outside on residential property if I can get a refill from their spigot. Every house has an outdoor spigot.
Old 05-29-20, 10:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
sadly had to use my fresh water to clean out some road rash just last week, it's been said before but I'll say it again be careful around trolley/train tracks.
Ouch. Sorry to hear it. Hope it wasn't bad.
Old 05-29-20, 10:57 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Definitely agree about one bottle of fresh water and one bottle of electrolyte water. And if I’m going on a really long ride, I’ll take extra powder for the water re-fill.
Old 05-30-20, 03:25 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I'm planning a 200km+ ride in the coming fortnight so have thought about this too. It is around 26-30C here temperature-wise so warm and I used both my water bottles on a 143km (1700m climbing) ride last week but was happy to see a cyclists café (bike service shop/café) I know has opened again so I could fill up there - I was ready to buy water from a shop if needs be however. I have my Buff neckerchief which is accepted as a mask here.

We also have fresh water spa springs in the hills in places so I've planned a route that takes in the cyclists café and the spa springs so it should be fine. I use electrolytes like others have mentioned, 1 bottle with powder and a couple of tablets in my pocket. I also concur with going out earlier too.
Old 05-30-20, 05:51 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear it. Hope it wasn't bad.
slow ride home the day of the fall and been out 3x since, so I'll have some battle scars on my elbow a bruised ego and a scraped Brake/Shifter hood. All in all I'm fine, thanks for asking.
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 05-30-20, 06:36 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I always hit a gas station or convenience store. The problem with carrying a lot of liquids on a ride is that it is heavy and difficult to keep cool on a hot day.
Old 05-31-20, 06:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’ve used these to mount extra water bottle cages:

Minoura Japan ? BH-95X

I’ve mounted them on a seat post and on fork legs..
Old 06-02-20, 05:16 AM
Yonah

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would agree with most of the responses - pre-hydrate, bigger bottles and use electrolyte tabs, some additional $0.02:

- If you are going to carry additional water in a bag, get disposable bottles. They don't all fit well in cages, so drink your cage bottles first, and use the disposable to refill. You can then easily recycle the empty - or if you prefer, you can bring the empty disposable back with you and refill it - the empty weight is probably a lot less than a cage bottle.

- If you are looking for electrolytes, I am a big fan of Nuun - https://nuunlife.com

- Starbucks are everywhere, and most are open for order pickup. Before COVID, I know that a lot would give you a cup of ice water without purchase, not sure if that is still the case, but you can get a shot of Espresso, and a large cup of ice, and refill your water bottle. A Venti cup is 24 oz, and a Grande is 16.
Old 06-02-20, 07:52 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I am usually out for less than 3 hours so one large water bottle is good. I drink at least 12 oz. prior to riding and put Nuun in my water bottle. I only have one cup of black coffee the morning I ride and leave early this time of the year as it gets warmer. I am home by 9:30am and have the rest of the day with my wife. Since I have been using the Nuun , I still have energy at the end of the ride. I live on a hill so my last push is tough with my vintage racers that are over geared and it is usually getting warm as I am 15 miles from the coast in Southern California. I use the Nuun with caffeine . Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 06-02-20, 09:17 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
You think he stops to collect or distribute those bottles? You'd be amazed what those pros can do while riding their bike. I once saw a video of a pro woman making an omelette while riding her rollers in her kitchen.
As long as the omelet gets made I don't care what she does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.