Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

What if....one handed brake fails

Old 10-04-18, 02:06 PM
McStumpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if....one handed brake fails

As mentioned in my other thread today, I have a road bike adapted for one handed use. I use a problem solver cable doubler - a short cable runs from brifter to the doubler, with separate cables running to each brake. But I’m now thinking....what if the short cable snaps? While going down a hill? I’d be in trouble, yes?

anyone have / had the same concern and found a solution? Thanks
Old 10-05-18, 03:28 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or am I worrying about nothing?
Old 10-06-18, 02:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Exclamation maintenance

You have a great incentive to replace the cables every year ,
to insure they don't fail, while riding, Correct?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 10-07-18, 03:43 AM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You have a great incentive to replace the cables every year ,
to insure they don't fail, while riding, Correct?
Yep!
Old 12-01-18, 10:10 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
just thinking (writing?) out loud

maybe a cobbled up foot brake? maybe not for regular use but like an emergency back up. say if you were able to have rear disc brakes and rear calipers and one was hooked up to a brake lever maybe back near the rear axle, like have a bmx peg on one side with the brake set up to use like the rear brake on a motorcycle.

that all sounds too complicated now that i've written it down, but still doable with some thought on it. now i'm thinking about it as a back up brake idea for a gravity bike if i go back to work on it.
Old 12-01-18, 09:35 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
just thinking (writing?) out loud

maybe a cobbled up foot brake? maybe not for regular use but like an emergency back up. say if you were able to have rear disc brakes and rear calipers and one was hooked up to a brake lever maybe back near the rear axle, like have a bmx peg on one side with the brake set up to use like the rear brake on a motorcycle.

that all sounds too complicated now that i've written it down, but still doable with some thought on it. now i'm thinking about it as a back up brake idea for a gravity bike if i go back to work on it.
sounds better than a decorator brick tied to a rope. Fortunately, never heard of a brake cable breaking.
Old 01-22-19, 09:34 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Would it be too clunky to put levers for both wheel's brakes on the same side? I use cables until they break. (I'm able.)
Old 01-31-19, 11:51 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A valid concern.
For reference, I've seen several shift cables fail, but haven't seen any brake cables fail.
And for another reference point, for years and years people rode all over creation with coaster brakes, where if one brake failed, or if they dropped or broke a chain, they didn't have any brakes.
Old 02-01-19, 12:04 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've broken brake cables. My winter/city bikes get used hard and see very little attention (and not a whole lot of daylight for 4 months of the year). The culprits are usually bends that are too tight or chafing where the cables enter and leave levers and stops. Aero levers with hidden cables under the bartape can be the hardest to notice.

I"ll second the every year cable replacement for a one handed rider. Maybe more often. I put this in the aluminum handlebar and stem category. Replacing too soon costs money to the tune $10-100. Replacing too late could well be thousands (medical expenses, etc). The time scales here are obviously quite different, but so are the replacement expenses.

Be a geek. Obsess on those cables. And keep coming back to the forum so you can share your rides!

Ben
Old 02-04-19, 01:18 AM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, all, I appreciate the advice.

​​​​​​I'm all in on the annual cable replacement, better safe than sorry.
Old 02-08-19, 07:34 AM
Tonyweiss

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree, replace the cables.
Likes For Tonyweiss:
Old 02-08-19, 07:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
sounds better than a decorator brick tied to a rope. Fortunately, never heard of a brake cable breaking.
I think I've broken a couple of cables, but only with significant fraying.

Also worn out my old Universal brake levers.

Definitely avoid the vintage road bike brake levers with a split cable end (drilled is good, just not split).

If not going fast, I've stopped by just putting a foot down. Going fast??? Grind through the toes of your shoes to save your life.

You might be able to avoid some dangerous descents with mandatory stops at the bottom. But, the truth is, the only time you'll notice a brake failure is WHILE BRAKING.

For an IGH, the pedal brake is a good idea (Shimano Nexus, and a few other brands).

Fixie? 3-speed Fixed (Sturmey Archer SX3).

Typically you can't use a coaster brake with a rear derailleur. But, I suppose in an emergency, you could rip off the derailleur (maybe) to use the coaster brake if you could build a hub with a coaster brake and cassette.

Still, with good maintenance, the situation where all brakes fail would be exceptionally rare.
Old 02-10-19, 08:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Recently looked at SA website... S3X is gone.. so all that will be made have been already..
Old 04-05-19, 08:33 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
... Fortunately, never heard of a brake cable breaking.
Been there ... done that ... twice. When I was an undergrad I collided gently with the back wall of my grandfather's garage after my front brake cable snapped. No real damage done, but it certainly got my attention.

The scarier event occurred last year, when I ended up going through an intersection instead of stopping as intended on the yellow light. No problem that time, but it could have been worse, of course.

Both times the cable broke at the lever end, not far from the ball of solder. I do inspect my cables and replace at the first sign of fraying, but I admittedly was not on top of this.

My escape plan in case of brake failure is to put my left foot on the chainstay and gently push my left heel against the tire. With a stiff-soled shoe and some caution, I should be able to avoid a total lockup skid.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-27-19, 05:00 PM
DucHuy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety braking is an extremely important thing or it will be very dangerous
Old 05-13-19, 03:45 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Brake cable broke after 5 months

I had a stock Schwinn Meridian brake cable snap after 5 months (~2,200 miles). It was for the rear band brake, but the front caliper brake still operated. I replaced it ASAP; it was a first for me, but it can happen.

QUOTE: sounds better than a decorator brick tied to a rope. Fortunately, never heard of a brake cable breaking.
Old 05-13-19, 06:29 PM
DucHuy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
follow me you go to the brake bar immediately
Old 05-19-19, 12:51 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
When I was a kid, I'd jam my heel against the back tire, it worked.

Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, I did that same thing accidentally a few yrs ago. My heel locked my back tire up, and I came skidding to a tombay stop, narrowly missing landing on a prickly pear cactus.

It shredded a Rubino Pro to the casing.
Old 07-08-19, 10:08 AM
eddy m

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
The cable doubler increases the probability of a cable failure, and only insures that you will skid your rear wheel under maximum braking. Get rid of it and use a standard front brake, with a second lever in a different but reachable position for a rear brake. You can use the rear brake on downhills to prevent front brake overheating, and you will have a redundant system. The front brake will stop you just as fast as two brakes, and without skidding the rear wheel.

em

Last edited by eddy m; 07-08-19 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 07:07 PM
spinnanz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
make a dead mans break, so if the cable fails, the brakes will be on, rather than off.
Likes For spinnanz:
Old 06-22-20, 01:44 PM
motorthings

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
a cable breaking is not the only way a brake can fail.
​​​​​​​you may want to add an inspection of the braking system, to make sure the caliper, cable, and other bits are well secured as a mid-year routine.
Old 05-21-21, 06:18 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I agree with you on the risk assessment - if you're doing any kind of aggressive riding, the impact of not having brakes could be large (sorry for pun). And you're right - with the doubler, you have a couple different ways to lose both brakes at the same time, when a conventional two-handed setup is completely redundant.

That being said - people ride single speeds with a single brake alll the time. I wouldn't, but companies sell them that way.

If you're worried about it, you have a couple options - either try out the foot braking mentioned, or work out a way that you can't lose both brakes with a single breakage (sorry, I did it again). You could try to rig a second cable (with its own lever) to one of the brakes, or it should be possible to set up a backup brake of some kind - maybe a front wheel drum brake?
Old 02-27-22, 03:54 AM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a nexus igh with coaster brake and would recommend it.

I've seen a tandem drag brake hooked to a thumb shifter and heard of adaptive bikes using a thumb shifter or bar end shifter for the brake lever. If you like your current setup you could consider adding a second front brake hooked to a (friction, not indexed) thumb or bar end shift lever (possibly with a problem solved to adjust the pull) as an emergency backup.
Old 02-27-22, 10:30 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I've seen several shift cables fail, but haven't seen any brake cables fail.
Shift cables get a lot more stretching when derailleurs are pulled to their limiter screws.

(Most MTB) brake cables are also thicker diameter than shift cables.

If the brake cable is always dry and entirely encased (lube optional), then I can't see it failing in anyone's lifetime.
Old 02-28-22, 02:36 AM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is how my bike shop have now set me up….so independent brakes on one side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.