Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The hardest climb you have ever made?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The hardest climb you have ever made?

Old 06-26-20, 04:43 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Agreed. Mount Washington. A bit happy it was canceled, myself. Whiteface is supposedly on though.
you can go up Whiteface just about any time you want. They just opened the road about a week ago (heading there some time this summer)
Old 06-26-20, 09:33 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
las flores is ridiculous. simply ridiculous.

have often though about going up tuna canyon against the "one way" road mandate. not as worried about the cars as i am about the cyclists descending.
tuna canyon would seem to be even harder than the ascent of las flores and i'm not the safest rider but i gotta draw the line somewhere and it's not because i'm worried
about suffering...more worried about not colliding with a speeding rider/auto. i'll descend tuna every few years to gauge loss of hand/forearm braking strength over the years.

baldy is tough as bleep and boring. road surface blows and then you get beat up on the descent as well. it's an accomplishment getting past the "bowling alley," whether you're riding or walking.
personally prefer to summit dawson saddle with the better views, higher el and better pavement.

gibraltar is exposed and get afternoon scorchy. morning with the overcast are best for the climb which has some tough ramps here and there. not much fun to descend but the attached east camino cielo
(along with gmr/grr) is imho, among the top two mountain roads in socal.
Las Flores is 23% for a short stretch. A guy fell over in front of me and his computer went bouncing across the road, I almost ran over it. I told him "You dropped something". Gotta get my digs in when I can. I think the steepest part of Tuna is 16% but it goes on longer than Las Flores. That's where they had the Red Bull Road Rage race.

Dawson Saddle is a nice ride, not too steep on either side. Coming out of Wrightwood on the 2 is the steepest part.
Balcom Canyon going south has a 23% section. The ATOC went there a couple times. That also sucks to descend. Out there Grimes Canyon will get to me when it's hot. Many times I've baked on that climb. You get still air and the sharp turns make it seem to go on and on.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-26-20, 09:41 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
you can go up Whiteface just about any time you want. They just opened the road about a week ago (heading there some time this summer)
I live near the base of it. I was specifically referring to the race.
Old 06-26-20, 09:42 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I live near the base of it. I was specifically referring to the race.
ahh
Old 06-26-20, 09:50 AM
Bostic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Haleakala is a very special climb. While others found it boring from so many miles, I cherished it. Each section has it's own unique challenges and views. There are only two short sections of slight downhill during the entire 36 miles. Be sure to put your bike in the hardest gear for the photo op at the elevation sign.

The second day of the Everest Challenge up to White Mountain back in 2011. The section somewhere nearish the top where you have the great view to your left. That was about the only thing that kept me going as I was very much done with climbing.

The Alta Alpina 8 pass double century. You climb the back side of Monitor last for the 8th climb of the day. By that time the sun is starting to set and the views are spectacular. The descent back down to Markleeville is in the dark (if you're slow like me).
Likes For Bostic:
Old 06-26-20, 12:53 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Scummer
https://www.strava.com/activities/339830098

Up the Passo di Pennes north of Bozen in South Tyrol. The first 30km are easy at a steady 3-4%. But then the last 9.5km kicks your ass at a steady 8-10%. It hurt. A lot. Especially on that day, since it was the hottest day of the year. In the valley during the day it was 40C and at 2300m on top of the mountain it was still 30C. Unbelievable heat.
I almost passed out during my lunch stop at the old Brenner highway.
I lived very close to your starting point, just on the other side of the Mendel Pass. That pass is not too difficult in either direction (if you are used to climbing), but a lot more difficult from Bolzano (sorry, got to say it the Italian way). I wish I was into cycling when I lived there as a skinny teenager. Nowadays, I try to ride there when I go back to visit (which COVID is now blocking).
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 06-26-20, 10:02 PM
fastfour

Bikes: '18 Specialized Diverge '19 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Haleakala was awful and amazing. Unrelenting is how I would describe it, especially due to me living at sea level. That last little bit to the very top was brutal. I loved every minute of it...after I was done.
Likes For fastfour:
Old 06-27-20, 04:48 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Meh. I did Onyx peak very hungover. Luckily for me, my riding partner that day was also my drinking partner the night before, so he was hurting as well. I really do need to try to summit it a bit sober.
don't we all?
Old 06-27-20, 12:13 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
End of this summer I am planning/trying to ride from Gatlinburg to Clingmans Dome. It's 23 miles of climbing, it's all National Park road so I think the average is 5% grade. But, for a guy who grew up riding in Florida, it should be a lot of fun...
I had a lot of fun Thursday doing the descent from Clingman's Dome to the Sugarlands Visitor Center. One very hairy moment when a black bear on the left of the road ran across in front of me doing about 50 mph. I briefly locked up and missed him to the left by a foot or less.

But climbing it?? No way. Not my idea of fun. I enjoy long distances (127 is my best), short 20 to 50 mile rides going for a good average speed, and exploration type rides checking out new things. That's my cup of tea.I know there's plenty of riders that love climbing, but just not my thing.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-27-20, 01:20 PM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I had a lot of fun Thursday doing the descent from Clingman's Dome to the Sugarlands Visitor Center. One very hairy moment when a black bear on the left of the road ran across in front of me doing about 50 mph. I briefly locked up and missed him to the left by a foot or less.

But climbing it?? No way. Not my idea of fun. I enjoy long distances (127 is my best), short 20 to 50 mile rides going for a good average speed, and exploration type rides checking out new things. That's my cup of tea.I know there's plenty of riders that love climbing, but just not my thing.
I missed out on hills/elevation when I lived in Florida. I totally get how it doesn't seem fun, lol. I am sure I will have a different outlook after I attempt it. I am curious what may happen if I encounter a bear on the way UP. Perhaps my own KOM?
Old 06-27-20, 05:49 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I did it somewhere around 1985. The weirdest part was when I got to the top, some lady was bragging to everyone she drove up in her car.
It’s like all the guys in motor bikes taking picture with the Passo or Col name on the top of each climbs. Like if it was an accomplishment.

humans are killing the planet for Instagram self glory
Likes For dr_max:
Old 06-27-20, 10:01 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Pittsburgh's Dirty Dozen was a hard day of climbing: thirteen of the steepest hills in a city that is, by some measures, hillier than San Francisco. The event includes Canton Avenue, which is the steepest paved road in the US. (And maybe steepest in the world, though that is disputed by some cranky New Zealanders.)

Here's some video from Canton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGgbaFumkQ
My legs hurt from just watching
Old 06-27-20, 11:40 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I'm a flatlander from the coast, so I have very little experience with climbing. I can ride a century and have elevation change recorded in the dozens of feel.

I've really only had a few "real climb" experiences:
  • Wintergreen in Virginia. Not a huge climb, but gets pretty steep towards the top.
  • Riding between Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore and getting lost and doing several thousand extra feet of climbing.
  • Riding from the shores of Yellowstone Lake to Old Faithful, up and over the continental divide in 2 spots.
For the foreseeable future, all of my climbing will be on Zwift.

Old 06-28-20, 01:12 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
It’s like all the guys in motor bikes taking picture with the Passo or Col name on the top of each climbs. Like if it was an accomplishment.

humans are killing the planet for Instagram self glory
Next time you fly to Europe just to ride your bike up some hill be sure to give them a scolding.
Likes For znomit:
Old 06-28-20, 08:34 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
This one is not far from home and it always makes me go a lot deeper than I want to... But it's worth it. It has been featured several times in the Tour of Utah. Sepp Kuss absolutely crushed it a couple of years ago.

Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 06-28-20, 09:11 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
I was unprepared when I attempted Haleakala. made it to the 5000' sign,and it was getting cold and misty, and I was tired, so I went back. next time I will be sure to dial in my fitness better.
A riding buddy attempted Haleakala in spring with little preparation, relying on baseline fitness. Like you, he made it to the park gate. I was mindful of his experience and trained all summer, and did the ascent in October. While not particularly steep, it's just relentless, and it remains my most memorable and satisfying climb.
Old 06-29-20, 01:04 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,492 Posts
oakland cty. mich.

Snell road E. from Orion N. of Rochester,short & steep.https://www.google.com/maps/place/Or...!4d-83.1796732
Old 06-29-20, 01:14 PM
kahrs

Bikes: Masi, Gitane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding cross country, we elected to take Highway 16 out of Ten Sleep, WY into the Bighorn Mountains. Shocking. You start at about 4400 and ride up to 9400+, basically a mile vertically over 8 miles or so. We were in damn good shape and yet we had to get out and stand on the pedals to get up that road. One car going the other way yelled at us "You're not going to make it!". Yes, this was in the pre-internet era, so we had no idea of the challenge in front of us.
Old 06-29-20, 01:48 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
L’Alpe d’Huez - on my trainer for a virtual bike race on FulGaz.

Otherwise, in real life, it was a non-descript hill in France on our touring tandem when the pedals just wouldn’t turn over anymore. We almost started rolling backwards down the hill because we couldn’t unclip fast enough.
Old 06-29-20, 02:21 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Haleakala sounds tough, this looks even tougher-

You can also watch Jeremiah Bishop's video which is a bit shorter-

Old 06-29-20, 05:42 PM
quickpick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leadville’s climb to Columbine mine! And oh there is the Powerline climb!!

Haleakala was tough and beautiful but the toughest is Columbine and Powerline in the Leadville 100 for me. Which one was the worse? 🤔 Columbine is long and brutal and takes you to well above 12000ft but Powerline at mile 90ish is super steep at the bottom(I’ve had to walk it my 3 years)and just seems to go on and on after that. My favorite place on Earth but some painfully beautiful memories
Old 06-29-20, 06:04 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Haleakala sounds tough, this looks even tougher-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtJkjXO6ZE

You can also watch Jeremiah Bishop's video which is a bit shorter-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKJ9n5Dlto8&t=668s

I used to live on the Hilo side of that climb but didn't do any road cycling back then. We would go up around the summit to hunt Mouflon sheep. It is hard to breath even hiking up there. Can't imagine cycling that road...
Old 06-29-20, 06:35 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Haleakala. It's not that steep, but man it's a long grind. That, and I was really affected by the altitude the first time I did it.
I came here to say this, though honestly the altitude was mostly fine for me. I may cheat, since our local hill here is actually higher at the top -- but you get to start at 7,000' or so.

I did it without 'really' training and at the end of a year with a lot of flying and sitting down at sea level. It properly hurt.
Old 06-29-20, 08:09 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
A riding buddy attempted Haleakala in spring with little preparation, relying on baseline fitness. Like you, he made it to the park gate. I was mindful of his experience and trained all summer, and did the ascent in October. While not particularly steep, it's just relentless, and it remains my most memorable and satisfying climb.
I did it in March, when my wife surprised me with a trip to Maui for my birthday. So I had no time to prepare, just to rent a bike. I made sure to get the 32-cassette option. In the end I only used the 32 on the steep pitch up to the park entrance, and at the very very end.

I thought the March weather was perfect. The sun never really bust through the clouds, and the temp must not have got much above 70. Not great for scenery, but loved the ride.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-29-20, 08:23 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
After moving to Dallas for about 9 months, we moved back to AR. On my first "return" Tuesday night hammerhead ride, on which I used to be in the front group... I got dropped on a roller.
My head fell, and I went back to the parking lot with a heavy heart, and talked myself into giving up, going home and getting morbidly obese over the next decade or so.
That was my hardest hill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.