Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling > Tandem Bikes and Gear Marketplace
Reload this Page >

Truvativ Elita captain’s crankarm swap, anyone?

Search
Notices
Tandem Bikes and Gear Marketplace Premium or Red Star Membership required

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 05:19 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts

I assume this is a long shot, but you never know. Looking to trade my 175mm arms for a 170 mm pair. Captain’s arms only, not the set. No ring. Looks like this - normal wear.

Old 07-27-20, 06:56 PM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Year ago bought a regular 170 set of Truvative cranks and put eggbeaters on as pedals (eliminates the pedal thread issue) to get shorter cranks for my Cannondale tandem (I normally ride 170s. However I put the 175s back on to go back to my shimano pedals. I don't know what I did with the 170's otherwise I would send them to you.
Old 07-28-20, 02:58 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Year ago bought a regular 170 set of Truvative cranks and put eggbeaters on as pedals (eliminates the pedal thread issue) to get shorter cranks for my Cannondale tandem (I normally ride 170s. However I put the 175s back on to go back to my shimano pedals. I don't know what I did with the 170's otherwise I would send them to you.
I am not understanding the thread issue. Mine have a standard 9/16 x 20 thread. Is that not what yours were?
Old 07-28-20, 03:17 PM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I am not understanding the thread issue. Mine have a standard 9/16 x 20 thread. Is that not what yours were?
Captain cranks on tandems have opposite pedal threading of regular cranks. That is because the chainring is located on the left side of the bike, rather than the right side. Captain tandem cranks are specialty parts and tend to cost more. You might want to check on the costs of cranks at any bike shop that specializes or caters to tandem bikes. Good luck!
Old 07-28-20, 05:09 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Captain cranks on tandems have opposite pedal threading of regular cranks. That is because the chainring is located on the left side of the bike, rather than the right side. Captain tandem cranks are specialty parts and tend to cost more. You might want to check on the costs of cranks at any bike shop that specializes or caters to tandem bikes. Good luck!
OK, I am with you now. I read over the part about them being regular crank arms.
I am doing alright for now with the 175's. And we do have a second tandem with 170's so I can switch off. I just think they aren't ideal for someone my height (5'8"), so if I get a chance to swap them out, I will do it.

Btw, isn't the thread direction on crankarms designed to prevent the pedals from unscrewing themselves? So swapping sides with a standard set would be somewhat less than ideal, I should think.

Last edited by due ruote; 07-28-20 at 05:15 PM.