Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Component Everyone Loves (Except You)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Component Everyone Loves (Except You)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 11:36 AM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Downtube shifters. Had them for years because I was supposed to. They always made me drift sideways every time I bent down to shift. Barcons were a world changer.
Porteur bars. One ride and they had to go.
Tried the original leather saddle that came with my Peugeot-damn that was painful. Definitely not like a brooks.
Old 08-24-20, 11:51 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Trekking bars, a.k.a "Butterfly" bars. I put them on several bikes of my own, and also my wife's. They seem cool at first but they've all now been replaced with either flat bars or drop bars. It took a couple of years before the novelty wore off, but I ended up feeling like I gave up too much control of the bike's handling and switched back.
Old 08-24-20, 11:59 AM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
let's just get this out of the way early.

disc brakes
carbon fiber frames/forks
chain lube du jour

ok, no more discussion on these things
Disk brakes. agreed. And hydraulic disk brakes even more!
Old 08-24-20, 12:08 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Powder Coating.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 08-24-20, 12:19 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Trekking bars, a.k.a "Butterfly" bars. I put them on several bikes of my own, and also my wife's. They seem cool at first but they've all now been replaced with either flat bars or drop bars. It took a couple of years before the novelty wore off, but I ended up feeling like I gave up too much control of the bike's handling and switched back.
I’ve never had butterfly bars, per se, but I do have a couple Scott AT-4 Pro bars that look a bit similar.

They had an aero section in the front, and on this one, it was chopped by the guy who sold me the bike they were on. Kinda like flat bars with built in bar ends, but the rounded shape is pretty nice.

I try these on my old MTB occasionally and I like them a lot, but I always seem to like classic drop bars and non-aero levers a little bit more.

Otto
Old 08-24-20, 07:49 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’ve never had butterfly bars, per se, but I do have a couple Scott AT-4 Pro bars that look a bit similar.

They had an aero section in the front, and on this one, it was chopped by the guy who sold me the bike they were on. Kinda like flat bars with built in bar ends, but the rounded shape is pretty nice.

I try these on my old MTB occasionally and I like them a lot, but I always seem to like classic drop bars and non-aero levers a little bit more.
I'd be careful riding on the forward sections of those AT-4s. Like, don't ride on that part of the bar off road, and I wouldn't honk out of the saddle on it either. The little yellow plastic piece that joined the ends on the AT-4s and the tri-bars was structural. The bars were designed to have it. There was even a shop warning about it back in the day, because triathletes were removing them so they could install bar-cons and then complaining when their bars bent.

--Shannon
Old 08-24-20, 10:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Two, both Campy NR: The RD and that horrid, horrid two bolt seat post.

+ about a billion on the two bolt seat post

Old 08-25-20, 07:31 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Seems like everybody seems to love DA 7400 group....except me......
I don't really hate it, but I just can't love it.
It certainly works really well and is pretty much one of the most reliable and best functioning groups ever made for bikes, but it's perfection to a fault that it becomes something almost boring to have on a bike for me. Plus the aesthetics of things in the group, like the 7400 series crank for example, just looks too "cleaned up" and pretty much featureless and blah to look at..
That's why I think I'm glad that Suntour died before they fully followed this "Toyotaesque" design philosophy that Shimsno embraced in the late 80's, and I'd rather build a bike with Superbe group than with a DA 7400 group, any day. I'd even choose a Campy NR or SR group over it, without hesitation.
......JMOs....
Old 08-25-20, 11:47 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
+ about a billion on the two bolt seat post
The hardest part is getting the saddle rails in there in the first place. Once it's in position, it's a breeze to adjust. You only need to use a ratcheting wrench on the rear bolt. Just use your fingers on the front one. And unlike some single-bolt clamps I've had, there's little fear of the two-bolt models stripping threads.
Old 08-25-20, 12:43 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Seems like everybody seems to love DA 7400 group....except me......
I don't really hate it, but I just can't love it.
It certainly works really well and is pretty much one of the most reliable and best functioning groups ever made for bikes, but it's perfection to a fault that it becomes something almost boring to have on a bike for me. Plus the aesthetics of things in the group, like the 7400 series crank for example, just looks too "cleaned up" and pretty much featureless and blah to look at..
That's why I think I'm glad that Suntour died before they fully followed this "Toyotaesque" design philosophy that Shimsno embraced in the late 80's, and I'd rather build a bike with Superbe group than with a DA 7400 group, any day. I'd even choose a Campy NR or SR group over it, without hesitation.
......JMOs....
7400 Dura-Ace is a very efficient looking groupset, indeed. I think that is what, in combination with how well it worked, made everyone else sit up and take it seriously. The "iced" violet/blue anodizing on a number of pieces, while very well done, made it a tough match to a lot of bikes, IMO. 7400 cranksets (though not 7410) are very professional and clean looking, but there is beauty in that, to me. Superbe Pro, Sugino ATs, and early Specialized "flag" cranksets all have an exquisiteness to them. I wonder if part of that is the non-squared-off designs. I swapped tripleized 7400 cranks onto my Expedition (from ATs) and the look of the bike went from quite, svelte, yet capable to all business/we are about to do some serious riding and we have the chainrings to prove it.

My best "7400" groupset is 7402 cranks, brake levers, brake calipers (for single pivot), 7700/7900 shifters, 7800 derailleurs, and 740x hubs. All the classiness with all the silver.
Old 08-25-20, 03:46 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Saddles with cutouts

Mavic Starfish crank

C-Record, much of it, doesn't really do anything for me.
Old 08-25-20, 05:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Straight-blade forks.

Meh.

Just meh.
Old 08-25-20, 05:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
barcons.......just don't work for me.....they are magnets for my knee and I really didn't like the overall workability......... downtube, brifters or thumbie friction for me

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-25-20, 06:07 PM
dfrench52 

Bikes: Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Lollipop pedals. Could never get clipped in. My 135lb self had to stand on them and maybe. Just maybe. But no. Back to toe clips and straps.
Old 08-25-20, 08:07 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
I'd be careful riding on the forward sections of those AT-4s. Like, don't ride on that part of the bar off road, and I wouldn't honk out of the saddle on it either. The little yellow plastic piece that joined the ends on the AT-4s and the tri-bars was structural. The bars were designed to have it. There was even a shop warning about it back in the day, because triathletes were removing them so they could install bar-cons and then complaining when their bars bent.

--Shannon
Thanks, but I only ride out of the saddle holding the lateral section, at most tending slightly forward on that curve. And no real off road stuff. I’ve ridden them for about 27 years and I’ve yet to have any issue.

Otto
Old 08-25-20, 09:05 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by ofajen
Thanks, but I only ride out of the saddle holding the lateral section, at most tending slightly forward on that curve. And no real off road stuff. I’ve ridden them for about 27 years and I’ve yet to have any issue.

Otto
For some reason I read that you'd just gotten them... sorry 'bout that.

--Shannon
Old 08-25-20, 09:21 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Peugeot PX-10
Old 08-25-20, 10:16 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by sheddle
Given that I love the Concor, also a notorious Ass Hatchet, I really need to try a Unicantor at some point.

My Univega with Concor and Benotto tape is a theft deterrent as it's unridable without shorts and padded gloves. Probably.
Funny thing... The duck-tailed 80's Concor is my all-time favorite MTB saddle. The shape just works for how I ride a mountain bike.

--Shannon
Old 08-25-20, 10:35 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
The one I have is actually a 90s Concor Light but I love the raised back of the saddle for whatever reason. I'm always surprised more saddles don't have that.
Old 08-26-20, 03:18 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Simplex Retrofriction shift levers. I'm supposed to like them, but they seemed to ghost shift on me often. Tighten down the bolt, goes away for awhile, then comes back. Switched to ratcheting shifters (old SunTour or modern equivalents), problem went away.

They are damn smooth though.
Were the Retrifructions used when you got them? You know that they do wear out at the pivot barrels where the clutch springs grip on to, which would then cause them not to hold a shift. The pivot screws mostly just retains the lever assembly to the frame shifter bosses and it is really the clutch sprin and barrel inside the shifter that does all the Retrofriction magic.
I have retros on most of my bikes, and I only encountered shift holding problems with one lever (used when I got it.) and it was because of a badly worn pivot barrel that the clutch spring could not grip on to.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-26-20, 06:36 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You’re dead to me.
Good thing we’re friends....

...or ARE we?
I think we still are. I hope so.
How many Treks do you have?
I have two

Last edited by seedsbelize; 08-26-20 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 07:07 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Were the Retrifructions used when you got them? You know that they do wear out at the pivot barrels where the clutch springs grip on to, which would then cause them not to hold a shift. The pivot screws mostly just retains the lever assembly to the frame shifter bosses and it is really the clutch sprin and barrel inside the shifter that does all the Retrofriction magic.
I have retros on most of my bikes, and I only encountered shift holding problems with one lever (used when I got it.) and it was because of a badly worn pivot barrel that the clutch spring could not grip on to.
They were certainly not new - I'm wondering when the last set was ever made?

At any rate, a shift lever that can wear out? I'm not sure if any microratcheting shift levers, such as SunTour or the Silver levers that Rivendell sells ever wear out, which is what I've switched to.
Old 08-26-20, 07:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Centurion Ironman
. . You’re dead to me.

Good thing we’re friends...

....or ARE we? Jerry!

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-26-20 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 07:30 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I think we still are. I hope so.
How many Treks do you have?
I have two
Of course. Just the one! But....
If I find a Trek like yours......
Old 08-26-20, 07:34 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Of course. Just the one! But....
If I find a Trek like yours......
Oh yeah. Do you still have that Y Foil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.