Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

strange feeling when pedaling

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 07:35 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Hello everyone

I picked up a 2021 BMC Roadmachine ONE

Even at the store, I feel a strange feeling in the pedal when bicycling. LBS guy said he tuned it but apparently didn't.
Gear shifting is okay but the harder I pedal, the more I feel something in the pedal itself. Maybe even a sound.
Maybe a crunching sound?

Thank you
Old 09-24-20, 07:43 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by hedonist222
Hello everyone

I picked up a 2021 BMC Roadmachine ONE

Even at the store, I feel a strange feeling in the pedal when bicycling. LBS guy said he tuned it but apparently didn't.
Gear shifting is okay but the harder I pedal, the more I feel something in the pedal itself. Maybe even a sound.
Maybe a crunching sound?

Thank you
Take it back to the shop, insist that you put the bike on their trainer or stand so you can pedal hard, then try to reproduce the noise. Hopefully with a tech you'll be able to have a set of ears close enough to the source to pinpoint the cause of the sound/feeling. With a description as vague as yours, you may as well be telling a brick wall for all the help we'll be able to offer.
Old 09-24-20, 07:49 AM
hedonist222

Thanks for your help and I realize I am far from adeptly describing the sensation.
Old 09-24-20, 08:13 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

You're welcome. Here's a quick check you can do, if you have a wrench thin enough or the appropriately sized allen wrench: Check to see if the pedals are completely tightened to the crank arms. The allen wrench side will be on the inside of the crank arm, while the 15mm flats will be on the outside. A quick look will tell you what you need.

The left hand pedal tightens to the left. To tighten it, you will have to turn the wrench counter-clockwise (as viewed from the outside).
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-24-20, 08:21 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
You're welcome. Here's a quick check you can do, if you have a wrench thin enough or the appropriately sized allen wrench: Check to see if the pedals are completely tightened to the crank arms. The allen wrench side will be on the inside of the crank arm, while the 15mm flats will be on the outside. A quick look will tell you what you need.

The left hand pedal tightens to the left. To tighten it, you will have to turn the wrench counter-clockwise (as viewed from the outside).
But there’s like no way a shop could’ve let someone buy a $5,000 USD bike without making sure the pedals were tight, right?? It’s gotta be something else.

And what does this mean: “LBS guy said he tuned it but apparently didn't.” ? Does that mean they discussed this pedal noise/feeling at the shop- and they did something about it? They should have explained what they “tuned” and why!
Old 09-24-20, 10:22 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
But there’s like no way a shop could’ve let someone buy a $5,000 USD bike without making sure the pedals were tight, right?? It’s gotta be something else.

And what does this mean: “LBS guy said he tuned it but apparently didn't.” ? Does that mean they discussed this pedal noise/feeling at the shop- and they did something about it? They should have explained what they “tuned” and why!
I'm not sure about the shop culture in Abu Dhabi, where the OP's profile says they are. I imagine the mechanics are better than average, but basic routine steps like greasing threads and remembering to apply appropriate tightening torque after a test fit can be overlooked by anyone.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 09-24-20 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 12:36 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
What pedals are on the bike? I believe BMC does not include pedals with that bike, so the shop may have just slapped on some cheapies, and those can very easily have poor bearings that you can feel in your foot.
Old 09-24-20, 09:42 PM
hedonist222

Originally Posted by Charliekeet

Unfortunately service here can be very poor.
I mentioned feeling something while pedaling, he took it for a ride, tuned it and said its much less now.
I was in a hurry to leave as well.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
What pedals are on the bike? I believe BMC does not include pedals with that bike, so the shop may have just slapped on some cheapies, and those can very easily have poor bearings that you can feel in your foot.
BBB dual choice classic pedals.
Old 09-25-20, 12:10 AM
hedonist222

I recorded a clip while riding today

You can hear it once every revolution

Last edited by hedonist222; 09-25-20 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 12:51 AM
hedonist222

link doesn't seem to be working: