Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3mm gap between the crank arm and chain stay: too little?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 09:40 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts

just dry-assembled a single speed setup. chainline seems fine, straight. but the distance between the chain stay & crank arm seems too tight.
drive side is fine, well with about 5.5mm—where they encounter closest—but the non-drive side is like about 3±mm. it seems rolling fine, just wondering if 3mm is 'too close' ish too tight, when some kind of distortion happens when ride. before trying a bit longer spindle, would like to collect your insights, what's the limit here.

fyi, the spindle is DA 109mm pista, symmetrical. what i suspect is that the non drive side arm has slightly more stretched taper as i see less room between the BB cup & the arm joint. if 3mm becomes a prob, i can simply source 112 - 113mm spindle, opening up a couple more mm on both sides.

Old 09-24-20, 09:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
If that’s the clearance on a dry fit, i.e., without tightening the crank bolt, you’re too tight. If the bolt is already cranked down, I could live with that just fine.
Old 09-24-20, 10:27 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by nlerner
If that’s the clearance on a dry fit, i.e., without tightening the crank bolt, you’re too tight. If the bolt is already cranked down, I could live with that just fine.
both bolts are totally cranked down.
Old 09-24-20, 10:39 PM
WolfgangVerne 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Agreed, I wouldn't have an issue with that clearance either.
Likes For WolfgangVerne:
Old 09-25-20, 01:48 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
You're good to go. Ride and enjoy!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 09-25-20, 02:03 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
just in case you might want to put down a couple of turns of black tape or cloth tape, take it up a steep hill, get on the gas and see if you scrape the tape,
Old 09-25-20, 03:51 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
just in case you might want to put down a couple of turns of black tape or cloth tape, take it up a steep hill, get on the gas and see if you scrape the tape,
Yes, I agree! It would be ok if there's no lateral flex in the chainstays, but, do you really know?

Does the chainset need a DA spindle? If you could find something not just with more spindle length but a little longer on the non-drive side it would be better insurance. Bring both sides up to maybe 6 mm (¼ inch) if you can. Spindle 6 mm longer but on the drive side only 2 mm longer. I don't know what kind of spindle will get you these dimensions. This is where consulting a Sutherland's handbook would be useful.

If you're using a Campy Record Pista chainset and have the Campy Record Pista BB, you get even L/R spacing and very low Q.
Old 09-25-20, 04:27 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, I agree! It would be ok if there's no lateral flex in the chainstays, but, do you really know?

Does the chainset need a DA spindle? If you could find something not just with more spindle length but a little longer on the non-drive side it would be better insurance. Bring both sides up to maybe 6 mm (¼ inch) if you can. Spindle 6 mm longer but on the drive side only 2 mm longer. I don't know what kind of spindle will get you these dimensions. This is where consulting a Sutherland's handbook would be useful.

If you're using a Campy Record Pista chainset and have the Campy Record Pista BB, you get even L/R spacing and very low Q.
it's a DA7400 NJS Pista BB + Campy Strada (road) cranks combo, and yes. it has to be a DA spindle. the bearing interface for early DAs are kinda proprietary, not interchangeable*. ITA pista spindle is 109mm, but the road spindle in 113mm is readily available if needed. Campy pista is not a bad idea, but there possibly can be some complications. early DA spindles have JIS-ish square tapers, thicker/shorter than Campies. while even spacing can be achieved, good possibility of the arms' too close to the BB due to thinner, longer sq tapers.

*early DA stuffs are, understandably, stupid. it's like they tried too hard not to copy/resemble the dominating marque, Campy. unique and thoughtful same time almost obsoletely strange... IMO.
Old 09-25-20, 05:48 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I would put your intended pedals and shoes on it and check for heel strike
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 09-25-20, 06:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’d say no worries. I put road cranks on my RockHopper to go 1x and reduce Q-factor and I have maybe 1mm clearance on the non-drive side and have ridden many thousands of miles without a problem.

I should perhaps add... when I undo the U-brake straddle to pull the wheel, the brake arms block the crank arms, but it would take a fair amount of chain stay clearance to prevent that, and it’s pretty much inconsequential.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-25-20 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-25-20, 09:11 PM
orangeology

thanks for all the inputs, folks. at this moment, i've decided not to worry about it. a few bits still incoming, almost there. can't wait to ride the heck of it...
Old 09-26-20, 08:30 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
With those cranks, I doubt you'd cause them to flex into the frame. Now if you're running some NR-knockoff Saavadera cranks, then yeah, it would probably be kissing the chainstays.
Old 09-26-20, 11:23 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
when you climb a steep hill out of the saddle, the rear stays will flex.

this is what shifts your real derailleur on thin frame or Vitus type bikes.

in this case, you would be pulling the stays to the right, (chain on the right) which means nothing to worry about on that left hand crank.
Old 09-28-20, 10:31 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
I thought I posted this last night, but I'm not seeing it now, so here goes again. Apologies if this is somehow a dupe.

If I'm seeing your photos correctly, I'd be more concerned about the drive-side clearance between the chainstay/bb shell and the inner chainring ledges and the back of the outer chainring bolt. From the photo it looks like you've maybe only got 1-2mm clearance there. Is it really that close?

Might be I'm just seeing it wrong, might be shadows, camera angle weirdness, "fork is bent" lens distortion/weirdness, or whatevs, but it looks very, very tight to me.

All's you'd need would be a bit of flex, a little bb slop, maybe that Ital fixed cup loosening just a hair, and you're maybe shaving paint, or worse...
Old 10-01-20, 11:24 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
I would put your intended pedals and shoes on it and check for heel strike
+1, and the clearance between your foot (or the pedal) and the chain.
I have this problem once in a while, on a specific frame with that type of clearance.
The R inner heel of the shoe doesn't noticeably strike the chain, but ends up greasy after a ride.
I don't remember to check while riding, and maybe I don't really want to know.
I do have extenders for the pedal spindle if it worries me.