Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek DS 8.5 with IsoZone...woudl you buy a used one?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 11:16 AM
scooteruk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!
Forgive me if this is redundant but I did not come up with a similar thread when I searched.

I would like to buy an older Trek/Fisher DS 8.5+. Lots of mixed riding including cobblestone streets, gravel paths, etc. make it seem like a reasonable choice.

I have noted that Trek has discontinued the Isozone frame dampening system on the new 2015 line and have seen posts indicating that there has been breakage at the cyclinders. A number of DS 8.5's are making their way to the used market from the isozone years (I think 2013 and 2014).

Questions: What is the nature of the Isozone problem (if there is one)? If the Isozone fails, is it repairable at a reasonable cost? Can anything be done to reinforce the Isozone than might prevent damage?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by scooteruk; 10-01-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 12:02 PM
northtexas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek has sold thousands of bikes with the Isozone frame yet the only "evidence" of Isozone breakage was one you-tube video. If there really was a problem and considering that it was installed on popular Trek models why haven't problems if they existed ever been reported here? My guess is since the 2015 7.5 FX is $50 cheaper then the 2014 model Trek did it for financial reasons not safety.
Old 10-01-14, 12:13 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
as time goes on, those rubber pieces will become impossible to replace. nobody knows when this will happen, but rubber does not last

basic elastomers can still be found for girvin and other old bikes but the very specific shape of he isozone insert makes me wonder if anyone will make a replacement.
Old 10-01-14, 02:05 PM
Trek 85 DS

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my bike! The isozone shows no signs of wear after allmost two years and thousands of kilometers.
Old 10-01-14, 05:40 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek 85 DS
I love my bike! The isozone shows no signs of wear after allmost two years and thousands of kilometers.
That's good to hear, I was thinking to buy a set, just to keep and to use if/when needed down the road...
Old 10-02-14, 04:35 AM
scooteruk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone!

If I am that worried about the potential for breakage the answer seems to be to buy a new one under warranty. My lbs tells me that replacement kits are available for normal wear and tear on the IZ models. As my best friend says, 'why not buy new?' I don't have a real good answer to that.
Old 09-30-20, 02:10 PM
ZIY

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS8.5 & 2015 Intense Carbine

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacement Isozone Inserts

Trek no longer makes the isozone inserts so I ended up making them in two durometers--one close to the original hardness and one that makes the frame rigid. I can't post links here, but if you'd like one there's a link to my ebay store on my Youtube video "Trek Isozone Insert Replacement Kit DS8.5-8.6 2013 2014". Hope this helps!
Old 09-30-20, 04:24 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIY
Trek no longer makes the isozone inserts so I ended up making them in two durometers--one close to the original hardness and one that makes the frame rigid. I can't post links here, but if you'd like one there's a link to my ebay store on my Youtube video "Trek Isozone Insert Replacement Kit DS8.5-8.6 2013 2014". Hope this helps!
And again:
https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules > "Solicitation".

Spamming Bike Forums is not a good idea; neither is reviving long-dead threads to do so.