Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sad News: Bob Jackson (Leeds, UK) to close

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 09:27 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts

Heard via the CR list, and confirmed by a local framebulder (Kevin Sayles) who lives nearby and got his start building there:
"I'm afraid it is true Norris, and all, Jackson's will be closing more
than likely before the end of this year."
End of a long era, in Yorkshire and beyond!

On a slightly brighter note American Cyclery, In San Francisco, is back in business on Stanyan/Frederick St. and having a sale on pumps. Guess the move to Pacifica is "not a thing".
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 10-14-20, 10:37 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Sad to see them close, if indeed that's what happens. I don't doubt Kevin Sayles' account at all, I just don't want to call it a done deed until Jackson's announces it themselves. I want to be stupidly optimistic that the situation could somehow change.

If you haven't looked before, Jackson's been building "Off The Peg" made-to-order frames, with a wide range of options available, easily clickable through their website. Off the peg meaning you can specify a whole bunch of stuff, like tubing and lugs and braze-ons and tire clearances and paint/finish options, but not custom geometry.

Pricing is considerably lower than Mercian, the other big-name small-volume British builder, at least if you don't add on a lot of options. Base pricing for most of the frames is US$650-$800, with the curly-stayed Vulcan frames costing more.

I know a fella in the US who ordered a Vigorelli fixed/road frame just before covid lockdowns in the UK, and despite all that he got his frame in maybe 6-8wks?

I clicked through on a similar frame for myself, and drove that $650 base price pretty close to $1k, with some tubing upgrades, extra bz-ons, and a barber pole seat tube. Gotta have a barber pole on a new BoJack. I'm supposed to be in n-tons mode, though, so I didn't click on the "Order" button. Still, it was a lot of frame for $1k.

It looks like the order function is still active on their website, but I don't know whether they're still actively taking orders.

Them who hesitate get no new BoJack...
Old 10-14-20, 10:57 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
This may be a trend. Harald Cap has greatly downsized the Capo business he inherited from his father, including abandoning the storefront and retreating to a room in a Vienna apartment building across the street, and I believe he is mostly pursuing his first love of custom-designed bicycles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-14-20, 11:04 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Interesting, as since Bob Jackson has reopened after a closure due to COVID-19, they have already needed to put up banners on their website to let potential customers know that they are too busy to accommodate more custom work at the moment, and it's been a while since things have been slow enough for them to even consider custom frame making beyond their "off-the-peg" specifications. My impression has been that they're doing quite well!

-Gregory
Old 10-14-20, 01:25 PM
nickyb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Interesting, as since Bob Jackson has reopened after a closure due to COVID-19, they have already needed to put up banners on their website to let potential customers know that they are too busy to accommodate more custom work at the moment, and it's been a while since things have been slow enough for them to even consider custom frame making beyond their "off-the-peg" specifications. My impression has been that they're doing quite well!

-Gregory
I Called them today. It's purely retirement. They have sold the building. Best wishes to them all.
Likes For nickyb:
Old 10-14-20, 01:35 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I like mine a lot, 531 Pro, decals say "Limited Edition" but I don't have a clue what that means.
Rides "lighter" than it actually is, and climbs well using 9sp DA.
Seems every time I ride it, someone would say "They still make them, right?"
I guess no more.

Here with 2x6 DA
Does this mean we're all BoJack Horsemen?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-15-20 at 04:59 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-14-20, 03:09 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
All things considered the frame prices are actually quite reasonable. The repaint prices are also quite good.
Old 10-14-20, 03:56 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Damn

Very sad news. I only learnt last year that he was still going. I believe they've been selling imported frames for a while and little to nil custom jobs.
Woodrup of Leeds is still going but they will fix/build just about any kind of bike - for a price.
A lot of old school builders went the imported frame avenue before going under. Clearly it's not the answer.
So sad - for a while BJ even made Hetchins. Damn shame
Old 10-14-20, 05:21 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Time beats us all. Best wishes for retirement. I valued my Bob Jackson; a great bike.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 10-14-20, 10:11 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Well that's not good news, Bob Jackson cycles has served me well, I have a World Tour with Aerohead lugs, in September I ordered a Audax Club in full Reynolds 853 OS tubes and fork blades, with the rear triangle in 725, assembled in Newvex lugs. I'm glad I went over the top in options for this frame since there won't be anymore.
Bob Jackson was always a great value and the workmanship has always been excellent on the semi custom frames they have built for me. Donald less than a week ago sent me some in work photos of the Audax Club frame and fork, all that's left is downtube shifter bosses and the usual braze ons, final cleanup then off to the paint shop for Team Lotus colours.

Newvex 2 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Newvex by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 10-14-20 at 10:20 PM.
Likes For Nemosengineer:
Old 10-15-20, 10:30 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
Here's an update from today's CR list from a member:

"The Bob Jackson website is not quite up-to-date.

I just contacted Donald Thomas, the current owner, and he said that they
got a flood of orders when word got out that they were closing -- enough to
keep them very busy through the end of the year. They are planning to close
the doors before Christmas - so he said they will not be taking any new
orders. Their plan is to finish the orders they have, then make a new bike
for each of the workers left - then close the doors for good"

So if you work at BJ you have a new bike coming, and then "no more"
Old 10-15-20, 10:44 AM
Kilroy1988 

The official website announcement has been made. As a young man, I suppose I have not had the chance to fully appreciate what such a missed opportunity means... Now I know that I cannot bide my time before ordering a Mercian Vincitore, as that would be another dream that may slip through my grasp if the winds of change to blow!

Good luck to all of those who were involved with Bob Jackson, and thank you for building many fine cycles over the years!

Bob Jackson Cycles | Crafted Bicycle Frame Building Since 1935
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 10-15-20, 11:05 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I owned one long long ago.
Around 1986, they looked... troubled.
from the history it appears that things were set on a better path.
It does appear that they tried to provide good value throughout.
Old 10-15-20, 11:14 AM
TugaDude

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
FWIW, anything "off the peg" is not subject to customization. The whole idea is it is hanging on the peg and you buy it "as-is", or not.
Old 10-15-20, 11:21 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by TugaDude
FWIW, anything "off the peg" is not subject to customization. The whole idea is it is hanging on the peg and you buy it "as-is", or not.
Technically, yes, but it was actually a poor choice of term on Bob Jackson's part because that's not how it worked there. Their "off-the-peg" frames were merely limited in the amount of customization that could be done based on parameters set in the order sheets. There were not hundreds of frames sitting around the shop in every size with every lug and brazing and paint option already applied. They were built to order based on set (but optioned) specifications.
Old 10-15-20, 11:27 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Their approach can probably be likened to selling an off-the-peg suit that is then meant to be altered to fit the customer versus a fully customized/bespoke suit.
Old 10-15-20, 01:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Whatever “off the peg” means.
Or bespoke.
Or semi-custom.
It’s all contextual, and relative, and individual,

I have my Bob Jackson.
Cool bike. Rides well.
“They don’t make them any more.”

Thanks, bigbossman

Take a week-deserved rest in Leeds, lads.
Old 10-15-20, 01:28 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I owned one long long ago.
Around 1986, they looked... troubled.
from the history it appears that things were set on a better path.
It does appear that they tried to provide good value throughout.
I recall that, at some point, Bob Jackson (the man) retired, things sort of went to hell at Bob Jackson (the shop) and he came back at set it to rights. I do not recall when that was, but mid-1980s does not sound obviously wrong. In any event, Bob Jackson (the man) died in 1998. Bob Jackson (the shop) had a good run. Sorry to see them go.

They did have a problem with buggered BB threads in the early 1970s (I owned one - it required a Phil Wood bottom bracket and red Loctite), but that got sorted out That Jackson was my first good frame and my first big purchase from my first job put of high school. I built it up with the kind of hodge-podge of components that only a broke teenager can assemble. It served me well until it was stolen out of my garage c.1992. I have fond memories of that bike and its gorgeous red with white panels paint. I still wish evil things on the %*&*^#^ who stole it.
Old 10-15-20, 01:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
A Phil bottom bracket solved my frame's troubles too.
The infamous mid 70's Bob Jackson squished bottom brackets.
I talked to Bob in 1974 when he came by the shop for which I worked.
He did admit that the lads may have squeezed them in a vise too tight.
We did discuss a new pair of bikes. He suggested remind him of our conversation and he would use the new Roto investment cast shells in the frames.
I ordered a Masi Sprint bike instead.
Old 10-15-20, 01:57 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
1980s BJ problems

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I recall that, at some point, Bob Jackson (the man) retired, things sort of went to hell at Bob Jackson (the shop) and he came back at set it to rights. I do not recall when that was, but mid-1980s does not sound obviously wrong. In any event, Bob Jackson (the man) died in 1998. Bob Jackson (the shop) had a good run. Sorry to see them go.

They did have a problem with buggered BB threads in the early 1970s (I owned one - it required a Phil Wood bottom bracket and red Loctite), but that got sorted out That Jackson was my first good frame and my first big purchase from my first job put of high school. I built it up with the kind of hodge-podge of components that only a broke teenager can assemble. It served me well until it was stolen out of my garage c.1992. I have fond memories of that bike and its gorgeous red with white panels paint. I still wish evil things on the %*&*^#^ who stole it.
I lost track of BJs around this time as well owing to QC problems. The whole British bike industry was falling apart at this time. Motorcycle s likewise. The bikes had a fantastic reputation right up thru before and after WW2. Like I said above I only learnt a year ago they were still going. Much to my joy.
In the UK Covid has proved a bonanza for the bike industry old and new so it a real shame. Suggests to me their demise has come about owing to a more chronic problem that may or may not be tied to BJ or the bike industry in general.
Before WW2 there was 15000 individual bike makers in the UK- from father and son shops to millions a year behemoths. BJs is one of the very last of any size.
Old 10-15-20, 02:40 PM
TugaDude

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Technically, yes, but it was actually a poor choice of term on Bob Jackson's part because that's not how it worked there. Their "off-the-peg" frames were merely limited in the amount of customization that could be done based on parameters set in the order sheets. There were not hundreds of frames sitting around the shop in every size with every lug and brazing and paint option already applied. They were built to order based on set (but optioned) specifications.
Thanks for the clarification as it pertains to Bob Jackson. Apparently it is common British slang for something already made. Raleigh advertised "off the peg" frames in various sizes and there was no customization available. You got what you got.
Old 10-15-20, 04:04 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Here's an update from today's CR list from a member:

"The Bob Jackson website is not quite up-to-date.

I just contacted Donald Thomas, the current owner, and he said that they
got a flood of orders when word got out that they were closing -- enough to
keep them very busy through the end of the year. They are planning to close
the doors before Christmas - so he said they will not be taking any new
orders. Their plan is to finish the orders they have, then make a new bike
for each of the workers left - then close the doors for good"

So if you work at BJ you have a new bike coming, and then "no more"
This is what I was wondering, is it possible to order a new off the peg now?

Looks like the answer is no.
Old 11-28-20, 03:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
Update: BJ no longer plans to close, but to stay open for another 85 years.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-28-20, 03:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Cool!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-28-20, 03:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Update: BJ no longer plans to close, but to stay open for another 85 years.

Great news!

Too few of these iconic places left as it is which is interesting since many of the newcomers to the business are enjoying plenty of success.

Granted many are gravel, all road oriented, but still.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.