Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped limit screw

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stripped limit screw

Old 06-27-20, 06:21 PM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Stripped limit screw

I have an old mountain bike with a shimano Deore LX front derraileuer with a stripped limit screw,Any advice on 1.how to remove and2.How to replace??
Old 06-27-20, 06:33 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
If the part has a stripped screw and you are not able to figure out how to remove the screw then I'm fairly certain that you do not poses the skills and/or tools to make the repair yourself. Sorry if that offends. Beyond that if you are an intrepid individual there are literally tons of youtubes that show visually in exciting detail how to....
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-27-20, 07:21 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
I have an old mountain bike with a shimano Deore LX front derraileuer with a stripped limit screw,Any advice on 1.how to remove and2.How to replace??
Can you clarify what got stripped? Did the screws threads get damaged, such that you can turn the limit screw and the screw does not move. Or is the head of the screw damaged such that you can no longer fit a screwdriver blade into it?

I've seen people use the terminology in both contexts.
Old 06-27-20, 08:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
And given the low cost of a new/used ft der how much time is this repair worth? Andy
Old 06-27-20, 09:39 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
If the part has a stripped screw and you are not able to figure out how to remove the screw then I'm fairly certain that you do not poses the skills and/or tools to make the repair yourself. Sorry if that offends. Beyond that if you are an intrepid individual there are literally tons of youtubes that show visually in exciting detail how to....

How about trying to help rather than postig an arrogant response ?
Likes For frogman:
Old 06-28-20, 12:16 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Originally Posted by frogman
How about trying to help rather than postig an arrogant response ?
Reality can sometimes be the mean teacher.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-28-20, 02:08 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
If enough of the bolt head is exposed, try pliers. If it's in deep, tall the head with something small to try to create an edge for a smaller screwdriver. Otherwise you can try to drill it out. As for replacing, take out the other one and try to find a match.
Old 06-28-20, 02:51 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
Can you clarify what got stripped? Did the screws threads get damaged, such that you can turn the limit screw and the screw does not move. Or is the head of the screw damaged such that you can no longer fit a screwdriver blade into it?

I've seen people use the terminology in both contexts.
Yes,its the head that's shot.
Old 06-28-20, 02:54 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
If enough of the bolt head is exposed, try pliers. If it's in deep, tall the head with something small to try to create an edge for a smaller screwdriver. Otherwise you can try to drill it out. As for replacing, take out the other one and try to find a match.
kGiven the proximity to the tube I think it will be hard to get the right angle with a drill.Pliers are not an option.I think I'll go with a new deralilleur.
Old 06-28-20, 03:01 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
Let's see if this word is not automattically censored by the site,Schmuck!Great that worked!
Old 06-28-20, 03:22 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well folks I just ordered an identical derailleur on ebay for $9.00!Includes postage.Despite the impression some less mannered people on this post had I did do my research and extractor tools alone cost more than that and You-tube clips didn't seem to be relevant due to the space limitations of my situation.Thank you all for your help!!
Likes For trek330:
Old 06-28-20, 04:02 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If you remove the FD, then wouldn't you no longer have clearance problems to whichever "tube"?
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 06-28-20, 08:37 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Let's see if this word is not automattically censored by the site,Schmuck!Great that worked!
Dont be a prick! Why is the head stripped? Were you the one that stripped it? Come on man why be a name caller?
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-28-20, 11:49 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
If you remove the FD, then wouldn't you no longer have clearance problems to whichever "tube"?
Yeah bicycling with the club today that occurred to me!I think my age is catching up with me.Anyway it's more trouble than it's worth and the replacement is on its way.Thanks for the input,
Old 06-28-20, 01:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Glad my suggestion was helpful after all. But as someone else followed up with why was the head stripped? Was it that a poor fitting screwdriver used in a damaging manor? Or that the screw's threads were becoming, was already, frozen in the der body? I suspect the latter. Given the der's location WRT the rear tire's tossing off water (and I'll bet the bike has no fenders) and that lubing der limit screw threads is about as far down the maintenance list as it gets.

Once the old der is removed I suggest playing with tit and finding out whether the screws are still turnable., or not. Drip a drop of lube, I like TriFlow for this type of thing, on the new der's screws and run the in and out a few turns before finalizing the adjustment. Repeat this every year. Oh, and make sure the rear der's screws are also lubed and that the screwdriver fits solidly too. Andy
Old 06-28-20, 02:48 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

PRO-Tip get something like this, put it in your toolbox: https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-J...43&s=hi&sr=1-4
Old 06-28-20, 05:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Just a caution, but some of the posts in this thread, the ones with name calling are in violation of the Forum rules.
"Harassment
Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, avatars and signatures.<br />

Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated."

Let's try to stay civil to each other.
Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-29-20, 10:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With the right tools, I for instance have them, it would be an easy repair. Some of the old bolt should be sticking out, so use pliars and remove it. Then retap to a larger size an put in a new screw.
Old 07-06-20, 08:31 AM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Yes,its the head that's shot.
The Shimano deraileur is designed for a JIS (Japanese standard) screwdriver head, using a Phillip's screwdriver is probably the cause of the damage.
Old 07-06-20, 12:45 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roth rothar
The Shimano deraileur is designed for a JIS (Japanese standard) screwdriver head, using a Phillip's screwdriver is probably the cause of the damage.
I didn't know there was a difference!!The bike was used when I bought it and the head was not good from the beginning.I usually used a flat head to turn it.Updateerailleur I bought had the wrong clamp size and the correct one is on it's way for much more money.
Old 07-06-20, 03:13 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Hard to believe you couldn't get a pair of needle nose pliers in there to extract and replace the screw.

But sometimes stuff just wears out. Finding a replacement screw was probably going to be a bigger challenge than sourcing a replacement derailleur. Unless you are like me and never throw anything out.