Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Efneo GTRO 3 speed Crankset

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-22-20, 07:16 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts

hey guys, i just tumble to this new crankset from a polish maker:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bikebiz.com/efneo-releases-a-3-speed-internal-gearbox-called-the-gtro/

any realworld review on folders? that could be a hit for bromptons ens intetnal gear bikrd.
Old 08-22-20, 10:18 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Wow, looks good, $500 on US Amazon and good reviews. For me it does not go low enough, but for most people it should be completely satisfactory. The price may seem steep, but if you go the cheap way and go over multiple hoops, the costs accumulate, and so do the time and complexity where things can go sideways.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-23-20, 03:33 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
Go ahead, and tell us how it goes :-)

https://bikerumor.com/2017/08/21/rev...y-keeps-clean/
https://road.cc/content/review/22779...-front-gearbox

Odd that prices are quoted in USD and not even in Euros, considering the mfg is located in Poland.

Last edited by Winfried; 08-23-20 at 03:53 AM.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 05:59 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Originally Posted by Winfried
Go ahead, and tell us how it goes :-)

https://bikerumor.com/2017/08/21/rev...y-keeps-clean/

Odd that prices are quoted in USD and not even in Euros, considering the mfg is located in Poland.

wow, nice reviews.

edit:
i just inquire then on chat and the response was very good.
for brompton they make it with 38t so the frame allows the correct clearences.

i just worried that the crankset is only 28 teeth.
on brompton if you go smaller than 30 on crankset the chainline hits the " metal cable holder stopper square thing" on right chainstay.
how did the guys on photo make it? saw that square metal off? and good to go?

​​​​​

Last edited by BromptonINrio; 08-23-20 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 06:58 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
I wonder about the efficiency of the it.
Old 08-23-20, 07:21 AM
Winfried

2% apparently: "There's no noticeable noise from the gearbox beyond a quiet purr, and no noticeable extra drag or effort required to pedal. Efneo has tested the drag at high loads and estimates it at around 2% – a perfectly acceptable loss in my book and on par with any other internal gear mechanism.

As for manufacturing: "Manufacturing of the Efneo bottom bracket and the parts for the gearbox is done by Tange Seiki – a Japanese company with nearly a hundred years of precision cycling component manufacture behind it. Final assembly is done in Poland."

As for using a chainring < 30T: I used a 24T on a double crankset with no issue, so a 28T should be OK.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 07:37 AM
Winfried

"Anyway, pedaling efficiency notably improved, and all nasty crunchy noises were gone. So, it's nice that you can re-lubricate this thing by just taking the crank off the spindle and giving it a fluid bath. Woot.

The really disappointing news was to see that the torque arm against the chainstay was digging into the aluminum of my 2011 Mukluk frame. The digging was "plastic deformation", IMO there needs to be a much bigger rubber-covered load spreader as it used on the FSA Patterson crank to useful effect. Will this gouge break my frame? Beats me. I'll keep an eye on it.

And I'm sorry the trigger shifter ergonomics are not good.I have to wrap my left thumb to an unpleasant angle sometimes, and the sheer size of the shifter makes sharing real estate with other bar components a troublesome situation.

OH, right, if you are going to do a lube bath on one of these, it's messy enough during the tip-over step that the outer shell (that contacts your right calf) will get pretty nasty. Gonna want to use a localized degreaser right there, or you'll get a grime mark on the entire inside of your calf. First time I've had to use Dawn dish soap in the shower.

Glad I lubed it overall, the pedaling is quite nice and quiet again."

https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gea...nk-934753.html
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 09:43 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

price went down to us$399 on their site!
Likes For BromptonINrio:
Old 08-23-20, 10:48 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

"Anyway, pedaling efficiency notably improved, and all nasty crunchy noises were gone. So, it's nice that you can re-lubricate this thing by just taking the crank off the spindle and giving it a fluid bath. Woot.

The really disappointing news was to see that the torque arm against the chainstay was digging into the aluminum of my 2011 Mukluk frame. The digging was "plastic deformation", IMO there needs to be a much bigger rubber-covered load spreader as it used on the FSA Patterson crank to useful effect. Will this gouge break my frame? Beats me. I'll keep an eye on it.

And I'm sorry the trigger shifter ergonomics are not good.I have to wrap my left thumb to an unpleasant angle sometimes, and the sheer size of the shifter makes sharing real estate with other bar components a troublesome situation.

OH, right, if you are going to do a lube bath on one of these, it's messy enough during the tip-over step that the outer shell (that contacts your right calf) will get pretty nasty. Gonna want to use a localized degreaser right there, or you'll get a grime mark on the entire inside of your calf. First time I've had to use Dawn dish soap in the shower.

Glad I lubed it overall, the pedaling is quite nice and quiet again."

https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gea...nk-934753.html

i seems to need the same mainteance as internal hubs. Dissassamble once in a year and oil change.
Old 08-23-20, 11:33 AM
Winfried

Go ahead, for science's sake :-p
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Last read, Merry Sales imports ( South SF, Cal) carries them to ship to bike shops with an account with the distributor..

I read both revues*, not mentioned right crank arm is it cast or cold forged.. I've had pedal threads self destruct in cast crankarms..

*Nor did Efneo reply when I asked directly... guess pedal thread repair kits will be useful in those eventualities..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 12:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
FWIW the Schlumpf 2 speed cranks don't need proprietary arms ..
'spider less' right crank arms are common on cross over drive tandems on the front ..
Old 08-23-20, 12:34 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

How much extra depth does it add to the fold? What increase about in Q?
Old 08-23-20, 03:54 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

I doubt either being significant. When using a folding drive-side pedal, the amount that my triple ring adds to the fold cannot be detected. The Q-value increased by about 1cm. Incidentally, the Q-value study results, of which publication Jan Heine co-authored, lack statistical significance. I.e., while it is reasonable to assume that the Q-values matter for efficiency, it is hard to tell how much.
Old 08-23-20, 08:54 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by 2_i
I doubt either being significant. When using a folding drive-side pedal, the amount that my triple ring adds to the fold cannot be detected. The Q-value increased by about 1cm. Incidentally, the Q-value study results, of which publication Jan Heine co-authored, lack statistical significance. I.e., while it is reasonable to assume that the Q-values matter for efficiency, it is hard to tell how much.
My interest is this. My Brompton is a very tight fit now into the B&W hard case. I may have to make mods to get more clearance as it is. I have to locate the points causing this. So its more to this with this than any concern that Q has with efficiency.
Old 08-23-20, 09:51 PM
2_i 

The B&W fit is very tight. Even if things look good with a measuring tape, problems might develop when closing the lid. Yeah, hard to tell.
Old 08-24-20, 02:43 AM
Winfried

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
My interest is this. My Brompton is a very tight fit now into the B&W hard case. I may have to make mods to get more clearance as it is. I have to locate the points causing this. So its more to this with this than any concern that Q has with efficiency.
If it's too tight, consider removable pedals (MKS, Wellgo, Xpédo).
Old 08-24-20, 09:11 AM
2_i 

If it's too tight, consider removable pedals (MKS, Wellgo, Xpédo).
I use a folding Brompton pedal on the right side too and it helps, but still the B&W case represented a challenge. We switched to Vincita bags and it has been an improvement for us in several ways. However different people have different considerations and foremost one might want to use what one invested in and this significantly.
Old 08-24-20, 10:59 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by 2_i
I use a folding Brompton pedal on the right side too and it helps, but still the B&W case represented a challenge. We switched to Vincita bags and it has been an improvement for us in several ways. However different people have different considerations and foremost one might want to use what one invested in and this significantly.
Just courious which Vincita did you go with?
Old 08-24-20, 11:47 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Just courious which Vincita did you go with?
At the time it was called B132H. Its current incarnation is Sightseer 3.0 I think. Vincita's stock seems to be depleted and they only sell it with the garment bag included. However resellers, such as bikegang, may have it in a stripped down form. The advantages include better, in my experience, protection for the bike and no struggles in closing the bag. Foremost its handling in travel is much easier than for B&W. Most often you pull it by a strap that you can grab having hands already busy with something else.
Old 10-11-20, 01:49 AM
Blackstrida_A_

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I read both revues*, not mentioned right crank arm is it cast or cold forged..
Thanks for the interesting question.

According to Wiktor/efneo the right crank arm is forged, the SGS certificate (= proof of passed industry test) can be found here:

https://efneo.com/filesss/SGS-crank-cert.pdf

Originally Posted by fietsbob
*Nor did Efneo reply when I asked directly...
That's very odd for my experience and I'd really recommend to check the used mail address AND trying to send your message from a different mail account (I guess you just ended up into some mad mail-filters).

During the installation of two drives I've learned to know the brilliant support of the efneo brothers,
I've got precise and appropriate reply to each single question, usually within a short time, either from Franek (Franciszek) or Wiktor.
Never before I've experienced such a helpful and skilled support at any company; we've exchanged over 160 mails within about two years.

Therefore, my advice for noisy drives - get in touch with the efneo bros asap!
Likes For Blackstrida_A_: