Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

need help identifying vintage schwinn please!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-02-20, 11:05 AM
xxslayerxx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a schwinn that i want to restore and bring back to its original condition,it was given to me and i know nothing about the bike other than its a schwinn LeTour and the serial # is SC100935 pleaseeeee help me
Old 10-02-20, 11:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by xxslayerxx
i have a schwinn that i want to restore and bring back to its original condition,it was given to me and i know nothing about the bike other than its a schwinn LeTour and the serial # is SC100935 pleaseeeee help me
That's not something that a general cycliing enthusiast like on these boards is going to know off the top of their head; it will require access to a database. Descriptions might help since you can't post pics yet. Or better, find a Schwinn Owners group or a forum specific to Schwinn. I don't know if a serial # will help you or not, since the company was sold several times and info like that tends to get lost.

By my memory, Schwinn started making LeTours as a response the the flood of mid-level Japanese bikes that were driving Schwinn out of business - the first time. Think mid to late 70s. I think the LeTour name continued on to, or nearly to, present day. So you may have a vintage bike, or you may not.
Old 10-02-20, 12:13 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
This should be moved to the C&V subforum.
Old 10-02-20, 12:17 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Here are two references where you can get information on the bike as there are links to the catalogs for the years the bike was in production. https://bikehistory.org/bikes/letour/

A Bicycle's Point of view

Sometimes you can date the bike by looking at the components for date stamps. Places where you may find a date stamp are hubs, on the backside of the brake, and on the inside of the crank arm. That would pin down the year it was made within months. There is an online database for old Schwinn bikes but it does not have serial numbers for bikes imported from Japan.

Panasonic in Japan made the "Schwinn approved" Japanese bikes and for that you got to pay about $30 more for the bike over buying the same bike from a Panasonic dealer. I know because I worked in a bike shop and when somebody came in we would send them to the Panasonic dealer over the Schwinn dealer. Lots of people would scoff at the idea it was the same bike but we knew.
Old 10-03-20, 04:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by xxslayerxx
pleaseeeee help me
Thread moved from General Cycling to Classic & Vintage

Old 10-03-20, 04:57 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
What is the four digit number stamped into the headbadge?

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 10-28-20, 09:16 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Hello @xxslayerxx ,

welcome to the Bike Forum.

From the serial number the frame of your Le Tour was made in 1981.

Here is a link to some Schwinn catalogs that may help: https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/

Here is a link to another 1981 Schwinn Le tour:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...1-le-tour.html