Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I want a list of Reynolds 853 bikes, plz. Here's why...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 08:18 PM
PeaceGrabber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After a extensive research day and night, I finally understand. I am used to Photography but know nothing about bicycles. I do not want to make a wrong decision on purchase a new or used road bike.
Many people think digital cameras are good, I know this is not true because films still have the place to stay. I thought most new Alu bikes (like digital CCD or CMOS chip) are better than steel (film) since steel is an old technology. WRONG!

Now, I know a good Reynolds 853 bike weight for about 18 to 19 lbs. Whereas, some alu bikes could weight about 22 lbs. Then I ask myself: Does that mean a vintage steel bike is better than a new alu bike? The answer is yes and no. Vintage steel bikes are heavy and the quality are not the same as Reynolds 853 tubing. Although an old vintage bike is on the heavy side, it still gives a more comfort ride than alu in most cases.

What about Carbon Fiber and Ti? Well, I also did some research on those materials. A complete Carbon Fiber bike gives the same comfort ride as to Reynolds 853 but I need to pay a double price due to CF usually weight 3 to 4 lbs less than Reynolds 853 bicycle. Therefore, it is not the best price to pay for what I am getting. Another issue with CF is they tend to fail in a rapid process but the steel still can ride for another few months. At last, steel is easy to fix and weld. Ti is also another expensive material and it is even rare than Reynolds 853 bicycles. Titanium is still not a popular choice for cyclists.

In my previous posting, I said that I want a new bike for around Cdn$1000. Well, I think that I should look hard and find myself a decent used road bike with Reynolds 853 frame. I am in the stage to collect a listing of brand with Reynolds 853 frame and I got few here and I need your help to add few more. Then all I need is money and PATIENCE (Getting a right frame size is hard in used market and I am looking the size of 51cm to 53cm seat tube frame).

Here are the list:

Schwinn Peloton
KHS Flite 800
Trek 520
Lemond Bicycles
Old 08-13-04, 08:36 PM
PeaceGrabber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost forgot Cervelo. Cervelo Super Prodigy still making good steel bikes but I do not think it is Reynolds 853 tubing. They use Columbus Custom Thermacrom Steel. Which is better? I do not know and maybe you can answer this question.
Old 08-13-04, 10:01 PM
PriO
dotdotdot

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my aluminum c'dale r600 is 20lbs

if/when it does break, i will definitely get a 853 frame
Old 08-13-04, 10:18 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fuji roubaix pro. i've built two for my shop in the last two months. they come with 105 components with a truvativ crank. one was a 58 for the shop and the other was a 54 for a customer/friend of the shop. so far, he's had no complaints. it's a super light frame, the 58 IN THE BOX felt like nothing. i'm not a huge fan of the fuji geometry, but i haven't had a chance to really test ride the roubaix pro. but it's got an 853 main triangle, and whatever elios proprietary steel rear.
Old 08-13-04, 10:57 PM
nutbag

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by PeaceGrabber
Another issue with CF is they tend to fail in a rapid process but the steel still can ride for another few months. At last, steel is easy to fix and weld.
LOOK OUT!! The carbon fibre lobby group will be after you

I've been going through a similar process, so here's my 1.84 cents:

Are you heavy? This might help with your decision.

Firstly, be warned; not all 853 frames are equal, especially if you're looking at some older, second hand ones. Some use oversize downtubes, some older ones have lugs, etc, etc, which means that some are quite light, yet some are absolute anvils, so be very careful.

An affordable 853 bike that buyers seem to be happy with is one of the 2003 Fuji models (i think, the "Marseille"). There's a couple of regular contributors to this forum who own 853 bikes, and are happy with them (55/Rad and Shokhead), so you might wanna quiz them, if they don't mind.

The Cervelo Superprodigy uses a custom version of Columbus Ultrafoco (or Foco), which is lighter than 853, but 'I have heard stories' of guys breaking Ultrafoco frames -- however, Cervelo seem to have made a very strong, light product: https://www.efbe.de/defbefrm.htm. The Superprodigy also comes with a Columbus muscle fork (one inch steerer, I think), and sells (frame and fork only) for about $999. Some people have a problem with the fact that it is not made in Canada, but Taiwan, or "off shore" as Cervelo informed me via email. To answer your question, most "semi-pros" would say that these frames are "better" than the average 853 frame. They were even used in a few pro races in Europe by team CSC, which, as far as I know, is the first time in a long time that a steel was used by a European pro.

Reynolds seems to be more affordable that Italian tube sets, but, just to confuse the issue: Columbus have the "nivacrom" steels called "Genius" "Zona" and "Nemo", which might be worth looking at, and they've recently brought out some new "niobium" steels (sounds like something that powers the starship Voyager) called "Spirit" and "Life". Here's some more Columbus info which also includes the older tubing:
https://www.ceeway.com/Columbus-Tubing.htm
https://www.kvanproductions.com/cycli...production.htm

There are other tubing companies: True Temper (https://www.truetemper.com/performanc...ketube.htmland), which is not so ubiquitous, and Dedacciai (https://www.dedacciai.com/), which is gradually becoming more prevalent -- but, as I said, frames made from these tube-sets seem to be more expensive than Reynolds.

Old 08-14-04, 07:08 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceGrabber
After a extensive research day and night, I finally understand. I am used to Photography but know nothing about bicycles. I do not want to make a wrong decision on purchase a new or used road bike.
Many people think digital cameras are good, I know this is not true because films still have the place to stay. I thought most new Alu bikes (like digital CCD or CMOS chip) are better than steel (film) since steel is an old technology. WRONG!

Now, I know a good Reynolds 853 bike weight for about 18 to 19 lbs. Whereas, some alu bikes could weight about 22 lbs. Then I ask myself: Does that mean a vintage steel bike is better than a new alu bike? The answer is yes and no. Vintage steel bikes are heavy and the quality are not the same as Reynolds 853 tubing. Although an old vintage bike is on the heavy side, it still gives a more comfort ride than alu in most cases.

What about Carbon Fiber and Ti? Well, I also did some research on those materials. A complete Carbon Fiber bike gives the same comfort ride as to Reynolds 853 but I need to pay a double price due to CF usually weight 3 to 4 lbs less than Reynolds 853 bicycle. Therefore, it is not the best price to pay for what I am getting. Another issue with CF is they tend to fail in a rapid process but the steel still can ride for another few months. At last, steel is easy to fix and weld. Ti is also another expensive material and it is even rare than Reynolds 853 bicycles. Titanium is still not a popular choice for cyclists.

In my previous posting, I said that I want a new bike for around Cdn$1000. Well, I think that I should look hard and find myself a decent used road bike with Reynolds 853 frame. I am in the stage to collect a listing of brand with Reynolds 853 frame and I got few here and I need your help to add few more. Then all I need is money and PATIENCE (Getting a right frame size is hard in used market and I am looking the size of 51cm to 53cm seat tube frame).

Here are the list:

Schwinn Peloton
KHS Flite 800
Trek 520
Lemond Bicycles
There is nothing magic about 853,and some of the cheaper configurations are next to worthless with respect to weight saving,and offer nothing but the fancy label. Scratch the Trek 520.It's just plain old cromo..
Old 08-14-04, 07:24 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
853 is amazing but no more so than I'm sure other high end steel is including the fine Italian steels.

As for a list, it pretty darn long. Fuji Marseille and Roubaix Pro are very popular as were the '03 and earlier Lemond Maillot Jaune, Zurich, Buenos Aires, Poprad, Tourmalet etc....

The cheapest I know of is the Mercier Serpens over at Bikesdirect.com

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Rey...=20&fl=0&x=wrt

55/Rad
Old 08-14-04, 08:09 AM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Co-Motion Cycles of Eugene, OR USA builds the Espresso racing bike with R 853. Weighs in at 16.55 lbs, including R Ouzo Pro carbon fork, Rolf Prima Elan wheels and D/A 10 speed.
Old 08-14-04, 08:23 AM
boze
gentleman of leisure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
waterford and gunnar make 853 frames/bikes as well but they cost a heck of a lot more than the other names folks have mentioned.
Old 08-14-04, 08:51 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
A bike made of 853 is not automatically good. A bigger consideration is not what the bike is made of, but how it is made and the design.

The likelyhood of you keeping a bike to the end of its' useful life is almost zero, so you should be considering all bikes that might meet your needs, both today and tomorrow.

You cannot analyze a bicycle like a piece of electronic equipment. Bicycles are open to personal interpretations of their characteristics. You can tell very little about a bike merely by looking at the material it is made from. You need to ride everything you can lay your hands on.
Likes For Davet:
Old 08-14-04, 09:48 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
By all means, go for some good steel and hang onto your F's, F2's, RB-67's, 500CM's, and their hard lenses & prism finders....
Old 05-16-18, 04:11 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I was looking to see if there is such a list. Some 853 cruisers like this one would be nice.

South Coast Cruiser: Dominique's Prova Molti | Cycle EXIF

Jamis eclipse road bike is also 853
Old 05-17-18, 09:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Bike weights will vary quite a lot depending on components. I saved about a pound and a half on my 22 pound aluminum bike with new wheels and a new compact crank. The more expensive bikes will have lighter components everywhere. The best bike will do the job you want at a price you can afford.
Old 05-17-18, 12:13 PM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More recent Lemond frames were Reynolds 853 but older vintage frames are other varieties of steel. They also used True Temper Ox Platinum for a couple years, which probably just as good as 853

The Lemonds ride great, now I am on a carbon fiber Lemond
Old 05-17-18, 01:06 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004.. That was a bad year for me. I thought Jamis makes 631 series steel bikes. Eclipse has been discontinued.
Old 05-17-18, 04:58 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Lots of good steel tubes for bikes. I can understand limiting yourself to one type of tube so you don'y go crazy with all the options, but that 853 decal is awful. The best decal by far is for 531. Just sayin'....
Old 05-17-18, 05:27 PM
timfromfc

Bikes: 60th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Schwinn Peloton and really like it. Keep in mind that most have an aluminum fork (the switched to carbon in 2000) which you would want to replace with carbon or steel because it will give you a much better ride. Also, it's a 9 speed but I've ridden lots of steep high mountain roads and got through them just fine.
Old 05-17-18, 05:43 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Zombie Thread Alert.
Old 05-18-18, 05:04 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Nearly 14 years ago, congrats.

Had me going, and scratching my head as to why OP wouldn't just buy Chinese CF
Old 05-18-18, 05:13 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
I was looking to see if there is such a list. Some 853 cruisers like this one would be nice.

South Coast Cruiser: Dominique's Prova Molti Cycle EXIF

Jamis eclipse road bike is also 853
Just wanted to point out that's a $14,000 AUD bicycle and made from a mix of Reynolds and Columbus.

https://www.provacycles.com/custom-road-touring-bicycles/

Maybe the OP moved from Canada to Australia after winning the lottery and this is his custom made bike.
Old 05-18-18, 05:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
My Guru Sidero steel road bike (Columbus Spirit) weighs about 17 lbs (w/pedals but nothing else) in a size 55. My Masi Gran Criterium S (AL) and CF fork & stays weighs about the same in size 58. As ridden with all the stuff I add they both weigh about 19 lbs.
Old 06-28-19, 10:03 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Lets' keep this Zombie lurching through the threads
Old 06-29-19, 11:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
There is a lot of bad info in OPs post, but whatever. Jamis used to make a 853 frame but I don’t know if they still do. Their Quest line uses 631 and those are nice frames that you can get down below 20lbs with light wheels and other bits. SOMAFAB uses Tange tubes, also nice affordable frames that can be built pretty light. Kona and Ritchey also come to mind.
Do you realize OP is from 15 years ago?
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-29-19, 11:40 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Do you realize OP is from 15 years ago?
Ha, I did not. It was near top of forums page and I just responded.
Old 06-29-19, 12:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Ha, I did not. It was near top of forums page and I just responded.
It happens. No biggie. Zombie threads are real.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.