Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips for Going Lighter?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips for Going Lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 08:59 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpybear
Actually I look at it more as a great way to make sure your bike is not stolen while sleeping.
I use a lock for that

Andrew
Old 01-03-12, 09:12 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Jude
Not to mention, getting prepared food all the time gets pretty expensive. Cooking can really save you money. Especially if you use a MSR Whisperlite Internationale and gasoline to cook with...a bottle fills up for under a dollar and lasts one person almost a week in my experience.
I didn't say it had to be prepared. You don't have to go to applebee's every night. As nasty as it may sound right now, a can of cold chef boyardee will keep you going. As will a mrs. bairds apple pie/pocket thing. Are you touring to enjoy good food or are you touring to ride your bike places? This is where each individual has to make their own choice about their specific expectations for a bike tour. Me? I'm insane and enjoy suffering. Others (MOST others to be fair) may want a nice meal and that's perfectly understandable. But if I had to do 3 days of something awful like dinty moore beef stew in a can, I could. Just find a nice burger joint in the next town. Again, it all comes down to each person's level of desired comfort/enjoyment.

Sometimes I think it comes down to what I've previously brought on trips as well. Freeze dried meals are alright, but pricey and something I usually reserve for backpacking trips. But if I REALLY want to cook a meal, I generally just don't have enough at my disposal on the road to really do it right. I don't think making shrimp pasta with a lemon garlic sauce or a nice chicken marsala is entirely doable at a primitive campsite. This is the sort of thing I ENJOY cooking when I'm at home. So I'd rather just not make good food a priority on the road.

And, worse comes to worse, I can make a simple alcohol or wood burner stove on the road and throw a can on beans on top of that if it's a particularly chilly night and I just have to have a good hot meal. This even gives me the freedom just ditch my "stove/pot" rather than carry it.
Old 01-03-12, 09:45 PM
Jude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess you can survive on cold Chef Boyardee, but I'll always choose to carry 15 ounces worth of cooking gear to have hot Chef Boyardee instead!

(Well, or 30 ounces depending which stove I'm using. Either way, I love my hot meals and will never go back to the "dark ages" before I got a stove...)
Old 01-03-12, 11:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by dubois
The big advantages for using front vs back is easy access to stuff while straddling bike, keeping the front wheel on the ground while going up steep hills, more even tire wear (less rear tire wear) / better weight distribution.
easy access-have to disagree
keeping front wheel down-have to disagree, never had that problem even on 15% hills with 25-30lbs on rear only (but I see your point theoretically)

better weight distribution--this certainly does makes sense.
Old 01-03-12, 11:16 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
traditional bike: nominal measures 30/70 weight distribution front/rear
Old 01-04-12, 04:02 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I guess this will vary with the individual. Would everyone be comfortable with my rig? I am sure many would not. Me, I found no reduction in comfort as I reduced weight carried in a progression of steps from 45-22 pounds. In fact if anything I was more comfortable. The weight reduction was really a plus while riding. It remains to be seen whether a further reduction to around 15 pounds of gear will impact comfort any, but since much of the reduction is in the racks and panniers I doubt it. I suspect the only reason that would be the case would be if I have inadequate gear to stay warm.

I never really understood why folks find a two person tent more comfortable than a one person one when they are in a mummy bag any way. I guess maybe people do more stuff in their tents than I do. If I am in the tent I am probably either sleeping, reading, or doing journal entries. None of which require much space. The only activity that I find slightly awkward in a small one man tent is rolling up the sleeping pad, but that is only a very minor issue and often I do that out on a picnic table rather than in the tent anyway.

For most choices I actually find the lack of stuff to be liberating. Part of the attraction to touring is a simpler life style and simplifying the gear list by eliminating non essentials only helps that. If you find you really miss something that was left behind, there is usually the option of buying a replacement along the way or having one mailed from home.

I can see where I would carry more if working along the way as you did.

BTW, like Jude I find that for many choices lighter does not mean more expensive. Even though I splurged on a few items in recent years, I still have one of the cheaper rigs around especially if you include the bike (something similar can easily be found for $200).
I have a bivvy, a one-person tent, a two-person tent and a three-person tent (and to complete the ensemble, a car tent we call the Taj Mahal). They all have their appeal, but one of the assets for mine with a two-person is that I can put all the stuff off the bike in the tent with me. Of course, I do have more stuff, and I am close to six foot tall, and I like room to move about.

I mention the bivvy because they don't get much of a mention in threads like this. They are lightweight, easy to erect and take down, and can be used almost everywhere.
Old 01-04-12, 10:29 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been working on going lighter and wrote an article about what I have been planning and doing.
Really nice article, thanks! I'm going to look into getting something like that REI flash bag. I really missed having a backpack for day trips on my last long tour, handlebar bags don't cut it for me.
Old 01-04-12, 11:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by pasopia
Really nice article, thanks! I'm going to look into getting something like that REI flash bag. I really missed having a backpack for day trips on my last long tour, handlebar bags don't cut it for me.
Yeah, I had not been carrying one on my earlier tours and it was about the only item that I added at a time when I was concentrating on going lighter. I really felt like it was worth having though. I figure that the REI Flash 18 was well worth the 10 ounces it weighs, but if not there is always the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack at 20 liters and 2.4 ounces.

Edit:
It looks as if the Flash Series is quickly going "discontinued/out of stock" for the various sizes. That might just mean they are getting ready to release modified versions, but if you like the existing Flash 18 you might want to grab one while you can.

Last edited by staehpj1; 01-04-12 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-04-12, 12:09 PM
djb

I agree, really good article to read. About the light daypacks, my wife got one last year and I initially scoffed at it, figuring it would tear or rip if looked at sideways, but while you cant sit on it on rough rocks like my old cordura one that is bombproof, you cant deny how wonderfully compact it is. Especially neat if you use it instead of a similar drysack anyway (but then even if you took it on its own, it is so darn light) My wifes is an Outdoor Research one I think.

back to your article, well written and I agree with your take on spending (splurge here and there, but utilitarian stuff being fine at med prices). Being a thin guy, I err a bit more on the warmer clothing side, especially for sleeping, as it can make a diff for a good nights sleep or not, but this of course depends on the time of year and as you say, we are all different so one just has to go with what works for you.

let us know how it goes in feb march.
Old 01-05-12, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
I guess you can survive on cold Chef Boyardee, but I'll always choose to carry 15 ounces worth of cooking gear to have hot Chef Boyardee instead!

(Well, or 30 ounces depending which stove I'm using. Either way, I love my hot meals and will never go back to the "dark ages" before I got a stove...)
Amen! While I usually eat breakfast out and pick up a sandwich, etc., for lunch along the way, I love to cook a hot, nutricious dinner.

Even 64 oz. of cooking gear is insignificant compared to the weight of me, the bike, the racks and the bags. About 1.5% by conservative calculation. Even less when you factor in all the rest of the gear.
Old 01-06-12, 06:15 AM
Bill in Houston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Even 64 oz. of cooking gear is insignificant compared to the weight of me, the bike, the racks and the bags. About 1.5% by conservative calculation. Even less when you factor in all the rest of the gear.
Yes, but if you take this approach on everything , plus tend to take things "just in case", you can pretty quickly end up with double the gear weight you could have had. Which is fine, and probably comfortable, but not light.
What is life without luxuries, though? Sometimes, having a full set of heavy cooking gear is the luxury you choose. And sometimes, having 20 lbs of stuff instead of 40 is the luxury you choose.
Old 01-06-12, 07:18 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston
Yes, but if you take this approach on everything , plus tend to take things "just in case", you can pretty quickly end up with double the gear weight you could have had. Which is fine, and probably comfortable, but not light.
What is life without luxuries, though?
Having 40lbs of gear vs 20lbs is definitely not comfortable on a climb. I find that I can be just as comfortable with lightweight gear as traditional stuff.
Old 01-06-12, 07:19 AM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to imagine cooking gear weighing 64oz - surely that must be divided among 4-5 people right?
Old 01-06-12, 10:47 AM
djb

I'm trying to imagine cooking gear weighing 64oz - surely that must be divided among 4-5 people right?
ya, one person takes the bottom of the clay baker, another takes the lid, then theres the wok, Joe takes the iron frying pan and Alice takes the Cuisinart (but Siu-Min puts the 50 ft extension inside the wok for easier packing)
Old 01-06-12, 10:57 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

For examples of wood stoves, check here: https://zenstoves.net/Wood.htm

I've made a largish one in the past with a couple of paint cans, but about dead middle of the page, you see the trimmed coffe can stove meant to be used with a full sized pot. If you opted for cold food at camps, and then a week or two later really wanted a stove, you could make a similar one from a regular can that you could sit other cans on top of. All you would need is a left over can (from the cold beans you ate last week) and a good knife or a very skillfully used can opener. And if you really wanted to boil water for ramen, buy a large beer, enjoy beer, then make a pot.
Old 01-06-12, 10:57 AM
dubois

Bikes: 2010 surly lht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
easy access-have to disagree
keeping front wheel down-have to disagree, never had that problem even on 15% hills with 25-30lbs on rear only (but I see your point theoretically)

better weight distribution--this certainly does makes sense.
i am rather surprised. in the past i have found to access my rear panniers i pretty much always have to get off the bike to really get into the bags effectively. never quite had enough endurance during that twist-and-bend, especially compared to the ease of just bending over the handlebars to access the front panniers.

i always notice when i have my bike pannier-free that my front wheel pops up on steep hills. doesn't have to be very steep at all when i am starting off from a standstill. perhaps pulling up on my handlebars is just a bad habit caused from using front panniers. i dunno. definitely has to do with accelerating on the hill, though. at constant velocity it would not matter. when i'm not touring, i'm in a city, and cities always have a lot of stop and go.
Old 01-06-12, 11:16 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

I've been working on going lighter and wrote an article about what I have been planning and doing.
Hey, just read this article all the way through. I really liked it! I'm a huge fan of the Eureka tent as well. You can get a light stuff sack and really shrink the size of that tent. You just have to store the poles separately. Here's a shot of the tent on my old carbon bike (poles were stored in a backpack):

That tour was a failure because of the poorly chose route, but the gear was great. I'm actually waiting on a shipment of fabric to start work on a frame bag for my two steel frame bikes to try and eliminate the backpack as a primary load carrier. You, Nun and I should go on a tour sometime! We'll post our bikes and give the fully loaded folks all sorts of fits.
Old 01-06-12, 12:08 PM
djb

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Here's a shot of the tent on my old carbon bike (poles were stored in a backpack):
You, Nun and I should go on a tour sometime! We'll post our bikes and give the fully loaded folks all sorts of fits.
wow that is one compact tent package! Im impressed.

and yes, I agree that you and Nun should indeed do this just to get the reactions. I think all bikes are neat, so its great to see people using whatever bike if common sense is thrown in and it works.
Old 01-06-12, 12:24 PM
djb

Originally Posted by dubois
i am rather surprised. in the past i have found to access my rear panniers i pretty much always have to get off the bike to really get into the bags effectively. never quite had enough endurance during that twist-and-bend, especially compared to the ease of just bending over the handlebars to access the front panniers.

i always notice when i have my bike pannier-free that my front wheel pops up on steep hills. doesn't have to be very steep at all when i am starting off from a standstill. perhaps pulling up on my handlebars is just a bad habit caused from using front panniers. i dunno. definitely has to do with accelerating on the hill, though. at constant velocity it would not matter. when i'm not touring, i'm in a city, and cities always have a lot of stop and go.
about getting to bags, I guess cuz I've always leaned a bike against something to get into front panniers, and with rears I can lean bike against me to get into them, so I've never really thought of easy "on bike" access to panniers. I have often kept my rain gear in a front pannier, but if Im putting on rain pants and rain booties, Im off the bike anyway. But hey, whatever works.

steep hills, really hasnt been a problem and I ride 15% stuff or so often, but then I just instinctively stand and go forward on hoods or bar ends anyway. The one time I recall how crazy a steep climb was for wheel popping was in Vermont, Burke Mountain. Friends and I went up a semiprivate road to a fire-tower type tower lookout and there were some sections that were extremely difficult to get going again if stopped without wheely-ing (but I was on a very low geared mtn bike)

https://www.northeastcycling.com/Mtn_Climbs.html
Old 01-07-12, 09:32 PM
dubois

Bikes: 2010 surly lht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
about getting to bags, I guess cuz I've always leaned a bike against something to get into front panniers, and with rears I can lean bike against me to get into them, so I've never really thought of easy "on bike" access to panniers. I have often kept my rain gear in a front pannier, but if Im putting on rain pants and rain booties, Im off the bike anyway. But hey, whatever works.

steep hills, really hasnt been a problem and I ride 15% stuff or so often, but then I just instinctively stand and go forward on hoods or bar ends anyway. The one time I recall how crazy a steep climb was for wheel popping was in Vermont, Burke Mountain. Friends and I went up a semiprivate road to a fire-tower type tower lookout and there were some sections that were extremely difficult to get going again if stopped without wheely-ing (but I was on a very low geared mtn bike)

https://www.northeastcycling.com/Mtn_Climbs.html
I see now. Yeah I always just keep straddling the bike to get in my bags since I don't have a kickstand and leaning the bike on something is annoying when I have to access both sides. Plus I'm always getting my camera and snacks.

Those climbs look nasty in the best way. Makes me want to tour NE US. After my PCH bike and PCT hike these next several months I might have to find myself out there for some fall leaves & steep hills.
Old 01-11-12, 09:38 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Hey, just read this article all the way through. I really liked it! I'm a huge fan of the Eureka tent as well. You can get a light stuff sack and really shrink the size of that tent. You just have to store the poles separately. Here's a shot of the tent on my old carbon bike (poles were stored in a backpack):
Yeah, you can make a tent small with a compression sack and you strap the poles to the frame, or put them inside the seat tube, but that's a bit of a pain.

FYI I've been using the mini-Trangia stove and pot set, but recently replace the stove with a TI one from Evernew and have been looking at using a 16 floz Evernew mug for cooking as I find I mostly heat water for tea, couscous, oatmeal, soups and beef stews. The Evernew stove is most efficient when it's used without a pot stand and the lower set of holes produce a flame that doesn't lap outside the base of the TI mug. Just less than 0.5 oz of denatured alcohol will bring 2 cups of water almost to the boil. There's no need to heat it anymore as it's nearly too hot to drink.

My mug, stove, cup , windscreen, BIC lighter, cloth and scrub pad make a compact package weighing 7oz and there is room inside for stock cubes and seasonings. I take along 8 floz of alcohol in a squirt bottle and a TI spork that weigh 10oz. If I have a fire I just put the cup on the coals to boil water.

Last edited by nun; 01-11-12 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 12:32 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

That setup looks great, Nun. I do have an alcohol stove I've put together for backpacking trips.

I've since modified it with a slightly more efficient redbull stove and a different clear bottle to keep up with fuel easier. The candles in wax paper are firestarters for camp fires and the like. I took it on a couple of bike trips, but just got tired of pulling out a stove, going through the hassle of setting it all up and boing water for packaged oatmeal and nasty powdered hot chocolate. I might as well eat a cold powerbar at that point and get a hot meal in town. I'm just not willing to lug around good food and proper cooking gear I guess. When car camping, I do cook a mean breakfast. The lightweight stove is worth it for backpacking, though. No town to get a hot meal in. Even if I were on the bike and the next town was two days away, I'd still rather eat cold and get a good meal later than mess with it every night and morning.
Old 01-12-12, 01:23 PM
jayr

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if you really wanted to boil water for ramen, buy a large beer, enjoy beer, then make a pot.
or buy 2 beers and make a pot and the stove too... I messed around with all sorts of alcohol can stove designs and they all seemed to work pretty well to boil up some water. Pretty tough to mess them up actually so it's something you could do on the road with just a pocket knife or multi-tool. I did buy the one I use now off e-bay though since it was made out of an alum. beer bottle and is quite a bit stronger than a can. I just wish you could still get the 24oz heineken keg cans. The Fosters can pot works fine and fits real nice in a Nalgine bottle with the top cut off, but the keg cans were much tougher.
Old 01-12-12, 02:10 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
you know I have never understood the front pannier only thing-for me why make your front end heavy which affects steering quickness? I guess because I am a light fellow having weight only at the rear isnt an issue for wheels, but more importantly, I love going around corners and so want the front end of my bike to feel as light as possible. I ride my bikes regularly with a bunch of stuff on the back and really do prefer how steering still feels nice and light, and havent ever had a feeling that it was overly unbalanced towards the rear or steered strangely.

I guess what it comes down to is that if I am going to go with only two panniers and such, the big plus is that the bike still feels mostly like it did unloaded, at least for steering anyway, which is a big part of the enjoyment of riding lightly loaded.

I can see the fact that weight overall would be better distributed front/rear in terms of the wheels bearing weight, but being only 140lbs, I can have 30lbs of stuff on the back and still be close to an average male rider.
Not all bikes handle heavy rear weight loads well. I don't see quick steering a worthwhile attribute once you're carrying a heavy load. Your front end may be light but once you're up to speed things are kind of ballistic. Steering quickness isn't a priority for touring but if it is then going to ultralight no panniers loads would be a worthwhile route. Just think how quick your bike would be if you eliminated 15lbs and the panniers? Most of my touring in my early 20's was done on road bikes with 700x28mm tires and 15lbs.
I've got a CrossCheck that I wouldn't put a 25# rear pannier load alone on, I would put it on the LHT. The CC develops a shimmy, the LHT doesn't.
Old 01-12-12, 03:03 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once I'd gotten as minimal as I was gonna get on the Big 4, I attacked my clothes.

Last tour, the temps ranged from 22F to over 100F plus a few all day rain days, so I had to stay versatile while staying light.

What I wound up with was
2 pair of bike shorts,
1 pr, loose, nylon pull on shorts for swimming, sleeping and laundry day wear, or to pull over my bike shorts where wearing those alone might've been looked at askance,
1 pr convertible (zip leg) REI nylon pants, knee warmers,
2 pair ankle high merino socks,
1 pair knee high merino socks,
1 wool merino baselayer,
1 cycle jersey,
1 ultralight merino t shirt,
arm warmers,
neck gaiter,
merino beanie,
Showers Pass touring jacket,
nylon glove shells with sild liners.
On cold days I could layer the merino tops/arm warmers under the jacket and be pretty comfy up top. Leg warmers under the nylon pants with warm socks was adequate, and the beanie and neck gaiter pulled up over my face/ears did the trick for my head. I'd like to have done something better for my hands, but that's for next trip.

My total load-out weight in two panniers and a bar bag was right around 27 lbs, with a 3.8 lb tent, two bottles of water and 3 days of dry food. Not ultralight, but not bad and I was pretty comnortable along the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.