Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Nice looking commuter pants?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 08:10 PM
WestonP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I commute around 20 miles a day coming and going from my campus... or did, until the cold set in. I always changed my shirt since that's quick and easy but I like to keep the same pair of shorts/pants.

These Rapha trousers are exactly what I want but I'm not paying 140 bucks for them, especially since I'll need a few pairs. Has anyone noticed anything similar? Much cheaper? Durability is also an important feature, I like having a lot of shirts but typically only own 2 or 3 pairs of pants at a time and wash regularly.

Last edited by WestonP; 02-16-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 09:29 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
$140?

I've been alternating between an old pair of jeans and old Target running pants. In winter, I add wind-blocking rain pants.

People say jeans are terrible on a bike, but if you slide them low enough, I have no problem. And very durable too.
Old 02-16-12, 09:29 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most cycle-specific pants that I've seen are pretty pricey. Actually kind of surprised that those Rapha trousers are "only" $140.
Old 02-16-12, 10:08 PM
WestonP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
$140?
I don't mind paying a lot for something if it lasts several years. My solution for warm weather commuting has been board shorts, they are great for biking. I bought some cheap Quicksilver board shorts and they lasted about 3 months of riding and washing. Bought some $60 pairs from ParAna and 3 years and 300+ washes later they are perfect. I run, bike, workout or swim in them like every day. Quality is always worth the money, it's just hard to find.

I don't know much about Rapha quality so I'm not willing to gamble 140 on them. I think their cycyling clothes are more about fashion than cycling so you are probably just paying $$$ for the brand name.

People say jeans are terrible on a bike, but if you slide them low enough, I have no problem. And very durable too.
I tried on some Levi 511 Commuters the other day, they are made for cyclists and have the full wicking/anti-microb/water-resistant/stretch package plus a ulock loop on the back but it just felt weird. I can't imagine biking in something as thick as jeans.

Last edited by WestonP; 02-16-12 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 10:34 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the link WestonP,

Those look like exactly what I need, and while $140.00 might sound like a lot, it's pretty much peanuts compared to (for example) Assos bib-shorts.

Rapha is quality for sure, and while I would prefer to find something similar for less, I'm not thinking that's going to be likely. Hope I'm wrong of course!

I currently wear mountain bike shorts to commute, and in the winter wear leg warmers or wool tights in addition, i.e. underneath. I don't wear standarad road cycling kit because I ride the Metro part way and am concerned about shocking the other passengers with the sight of tight lycra shorts . . . hence the "mountain bike" alternative.

All that said, these Rapha trousers (I guess only the British call pants trousers?) look like they would be excellent for riding and still look conservative enough not to shock the non-cycling Metro train passengers.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-16-12, 11:48 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
REI Headwinds Pants. These are comfy enough that you could wear them during the day. They aren't tights. You might be able to find other brands of semi-loose cycling pants that are suitable for day wear. $140? Yeah right. I wear Kirkland jeans: $12.99.
Old 02-16-12, 11:54 PM
Mr. Fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Rapha trousers and they are actually very nice for my short commute (~6 mi each way max). They feel much nicer and wear much better than my Levi's jeans that they replaced (for riding bikes at least). For example, they do not show appreciable wear after months of regular use, whereas the jeans developed holes at rub points after only a couple of short months. The Rapha fabric is slightly stretchy and drapes very well. It also breathes surprisingly well without being too airy for winter (OK, so it's CA "winter") so my legs don't get uncomfortably sweaty after impromptu "Cat 6 races".

I got them for about half off retail during one of the occasional Rapha sales, so you may want to wait a bit for those. If you do order, be sure to order your true size (i.e., not vanity size) and you may need to trim to length as they only come in long. I'll advise to stay away from the black version as that picks up lint like mad.

Another brand you may want to consider is Betabrand. I've not tried them yet but they look interesting, the price is better and they're made locally here in San Francisco.

Last edited by Mr. Fly; 02-17-12 at 12:00 AM. Reason: proofreading...
Old 02-17-12, 01:12 AM
busted knuckles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I go to the second hand store and buy trousers. Sometimes I luck out and find some nice stretchy ones, cut the legs and hem. Roll them up once or twice to a knicker length. Pretty much look like the Rapha trousers. 10-20$.
Old 02-17-12, 01:21 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$140?

I've been alternating between an old pair of jeans and old Target running pants. In winter, I add wind-blocking rain pants.

Jeans=good. Get a size larger and use suspenders. I swear people are less likely to run you down than if you're wearing lycra--the guys in the huge pickup trucks think you might be one of them with a suspended drivers license. Look like the people in the cars--they won't hate you as much if you dress like they do. If you feel it's necessary, wear bike shorts under them.

Last edited by Mercian Rider; 02-17-12 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 08:41 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those pants look awesome. I really need to get something like those. I have been thinking about getting a pair of the Swrve cordura cycling jeans. I was looking for waterproof shorts for downpour in the summer but just gave up and wear boardshorts and some compression shorts. All the waterproof gortex shorts were too hardcore mountain biking look. Just wanted some plain gortex shorts.

I just wear my levis majority of the time unless rain is in the forecast. Then the shorts come out.
Old 02-17-12, 08:55 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Outlier: https://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/4season-og-pant.html

They are awesome and worth the steep price. And if you're in Brooklyn, today and tomorrow they're having a big sale.
Old 02-17-12, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got a local sewing Alterations biz, to taper the legs of a Charity shop pair of trousers,
they added ankle zips to make them easy to put on/off.

Black so sweat wont leave the 'brooks butt' stain like Khakis do ..

Often I just wear sweat pants. there are smooth finish fleeced compound knit fabrics.
Russel brand in the local big box, comfortable for older tubbies like me. look OK.(imo)

Portland's Clever Cycles gets an exclusive on wool pants cut for cycling,
sewn by a Non-Sweat LA company,
but they are up there in Rapha upscale price heights..
https://clevercycles.com/blog/products/apparel/#_

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-17-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 09:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try REI for some active wear type nylon/ blend pants. Climbing gear or hiking type stuff. Not $ 140.00. I wear Mt bike shorts and in the winter, tights underneath. Running gear will work too.
Old 02-17-12, 09:51 AM
niccig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, where are all the women's commuter clothes? The Rapha pants do look really nice, any ladies that have tried them on?
Old 02-17-12, 01:00 PM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Rapha pants are nice.

I've got a pair of Chrome Telegraph Knickers: https://www.chromebagsstore.com/appar...h-knicker.html

I've also tried on a pair of Bontragers, which were really nice: https://bontrager.com/model/08788 ...These are really cool because you can unroll and roll the pants...when rolled they have reflective material..that's a cool safety feature.

Outlier's stuff is awesome, too. Swrve makes some good stuff, as does our local company, nonetheless: https://www.nonethelessgarments.com/

Really, there are so many types of pants to choose from. I really, really don't like jeans. The main seam in the crotch really rubs my gooch the wrong way; it sucks. Also, denim is cotton. Cotton sucks when it gets all sweaty and damp. My Chrome knickers are a polyester blend that is very soft and breathable. Same thing with the Bontragers.
Old 02-17-12, 01:26 PM
muu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI Ultralight pants: https://www.rei.com/product/794209/re...mens-30-inseam
Got 'em for ~55 bucks after 30% off REI item coupon they sent over email. Water bounces off of them, and it's pretty much windproof. Don't sweat much inside of them either. Down to ~30 you could go w/ just these, lower and you'll want to wear some liners under 'em.
Old 02-17-12, 01:27 PM
WestonP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude
Those Rapha pants are nice.

I've got a pair of Chrome Telegraph Knickers: https://www.chromebagsstore.com/appar...h-knicker.html

I've also tried on a pair of Bontragers, which were really nice: https://bontrager.com/model/08788 ...These are really cool because you can unroll and roll the pants...when rolled they have reflective material..that's a cool safety feature.

Outlier's stuff is awesome, too. Swrve makes some good stuff, as does our local company, nonetheless: https://www.nonethelessgarments.com/
Great links... those nonetheless pants look even better than the Rapha but holy hell, that one pair is almost 300 bucks. I'm liking the Bontragers and their price is a bit more reasonable.
Old 02-17-12, 01:28 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dickies original work pants are great for riding, that's what I commute in year round. They are stiff when you first get them, but after a few washes they soften up. They dry really quickly if they get wet, they don't stain easily, and they last forever. Also very cheap.

https://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing...k-Pant-874.jsp
Old 02-17-12, 01:46 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you need boardroom look... (basically dressy)... Outlier is hard to beat. (I am wearing one today... ) Pricey but not too much more than pair of nice dress pants.
I have one for So Cal winter, and another one in transit for 3 other seasons... (well actually... 1 ... summer).
Great to have when you have high profile meeting in conjunction with merino dress shirt.

Typically... it would be knickers for me from ATD/Cutter/Prana... I am really liking ATD for warmer weather and Cutter for cooler... while Prana for more casual cut.
Old 02-17-12, 02:14 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have looked for decent looking inexpensive commuter pants for quite a while now. I don't think there's much out there. Personally I just can't ride in jeans but prefer more of a "knicker" length I guess you would call it. For the late winter and spring riding I am going to give the longer Dickies shorts a shot.

Last edited by megalowmatt; 02-17-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 04:45 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
be a trend setter.

Old 02-17-12, 05:21 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol well I prefer bibs when riding my road bike so those babies might just be the ticket!
Old 02-18-12, 12:39 AM
IndianaShawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why mess around, get the best.

https://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ayan-suit.html
Old 02-18-12, 12:40 AM
IndianaShawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could go over the top and really get some looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Commuter Suit.jpg (94.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-18-12, 02:03 AM
vegipowrd
Lifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using my Levi 511 Commuters this year. They have a lot of stretch to them, which makes it comfortable. The fit is a little tight, but not crazy. They are also about half the cost of many other cycle specific options.
I also use silk long-johns during the winter. The silk makes the thickness of the jeans go away and wicks any sweat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.