Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 11:46 AM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baths? Like, more than one?

You city folk and your newfangled notions.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 07-20-05, 12:37 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could have missed it, but I don't think Gary is shooting for an overall reduction in his water intake, he's just trying to keep from mixing his food with large amounts of liquids on the theory that this will aid digestion.

I don't go crazy with water consumption. I try to drink water rather than other stuff, like diet soda (though I don't stick to that so strictly, especially now that I'm off "the goofy Atkins scheme" ) but the overall amount more or less takes care of itself if you drink when you're thirsty and have one or two extra glasses. Not long ago people were manic about drinking huge amounts of water, and I did that for a couple of weeks, but I never adjusted to it like they said I would and it always felt uncomfortable and unnatural, so I stopped worrying about it. I continued to lose weight and progress in every exercise, so I figured it couldn't have been that big a deal.

Well, recently the USDA noted that people were recommending that you drink your entire day's needs in water, even though large amounts of your needs are fulfilled by the food you eat. Turns out you don't have to force water down your gullet with a hose after all.

Old 07-21-05, 09:53 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all,

I've been reading some of these posts and find them very interesting as im on a quest to lose 60lbs to get back to the weight i was at when i quit racing in 2001. This time around i think i have found the key to success. Even when i was racing, i never did this. Eat Less and more often. Pretty simple.

In late May '05, I weighed in at 248lbs. I once and for all decided that the only way to get slim again is to have the goal of competeing again in 2006 as a Mas. 40+ Cat 4 rider. My short term goal is to be at 200lbs by Seagull Century time in mid-October, then train for the '06 racing season in the normal manner over the winter off season.

I've been steadily working toward that goal by incrementally ramping up my riding hours per week and cutting back on food intake. I have lost more than 15lbs so far and have lost over 3 inches off my waist line. My 42 pants are too big now. Good thing i still kept the 38's and 36's since im going to need them soon.

Here is what has worked for me so far.

2000-2500 calories a day. 60% from carbohydrate. 30% protein and 10% fat. Lots of toasted bagels plain and Zatarains Red Beans and Rice. No salty snacks except for pretzels with lunch. I tried Atkins once two years ago and swore never to do it again. Its an impossible diet for cyclist. So far, I've had no red meat except the occasional hamberger. Just chicken breast, lean pork loin, fish and cold cuts for lunch. The high carbo intake lets me train hard 5 days a week for roughly a 9-11 hr week. I gave up nondiet soda years ago and only drink caffeine free diet Coke, fruit juices and water.

Im riding so good right now, that i think i might enter a Cat 4/5 race or two come late September to gauge my progress. I did a 3 mile TT test the other night and was surprised that i was able to sustain 20+ mph at AT after only 7 weeks of riding. Hills hurt less too. I guess i still have some of the old training still left in me.

The other key componet of my quick success is two-fold.

1. I ride out my front door. I have only driven to a bike ride once in 7 weeks which leads to number two

2. I've been sticking to the public roads and off the trails and bike paths. I used to ride the B&A and BWI trails all the time. Problem is they're easy to be lazy on. The one time i did ride the B&A was last Sunday to recover from the 3 1/2 hr ride from Saturday. Sometimes a flat trail is good. The roads around my area are very bike friendly and there is always a hill or two to go up. I'm forced to work.

This time around, my motivation is much higher since i can see postive results in such a short period. I think i finally found what works best and will stick to it.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you in your quests to lose the weight.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 07-21-05, 11:02 AM
Big Lug
Its a Mountain not a Hill

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good luck to your self and bravo of your lifestyle change!
Old 07-21-05, 11:12 AM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
I started drinking a lot of water all the time, including while eating, and I still lost weight when I took up biking without really trying to. Some people swear by drinking lots of water for weight loss to promote a "full feeling" and flush out the system, whatever that means. This is the first time I've ever heard of reducing water consumption for weight loss, but apparently people have had luck with just about every strategy you can think of. Hell, there are plenty of people using the goofy Atkins scheme.

Mostly, it's common sense and discipline. Exercise and avoid excess fat and empty calories. All the other little techniques people come up with may or may not affect the result, but as long as you stay consistent and get the basics right you will be in good shape.
Oh no, I don't condem drinking, I do drink plenty during the day and between meals, but JUST not
with the meal is my contention. I don't overdrink, where some say drink 8 glasses no matter what
I drink when I'm thirsty but don't force the issue by a daily allotment.

G2
Old 07-21-05, 12:06 PM
joelpalmer
Back after a long absence

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Speedster 3-speed, Raleigh Super Course

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one fo the issues with water (the reason quite a few diets recommend drinking until you swell up like an oompaloompa) is that when you alter your intake you have more wastes (celluar) to purge from your body, increasing water intake helps. it also serves as source for O2 for metabolism. that being said, what ive heard from the group that im in (medically controlled diet for rapid loss) is that you want 2-4 liters/day, they are concerned about anyone who drinks more than that, the fear is that you can wash out too many nutrients i guess

(started at 266, down to 234, 34 to go...)
Old 07-25-05, 07:57 AM
CPW

Bikes: Kona Kikapu Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Januuary of this year, I stepped onto a scale and was shocked to see that I weighed almost 200 lbs (198 actually) -I'm just shy of 5'8".
I started the Zone diet and within 3 1/2 months, I had lost almost 30 lbs. My low was 169 and I'm now hovering between 172 and 176.5. I've been really surprised how much my weight fluctuates during any given day.
I did all of this w/ diet only and I didn't give up my beloved beer and wine.
Now I seem to have levelled off and I'm finally added excercise to the equation. That's how I ended up here. I've bought a Kona Kikapu Deluxe and a Jamis Quest to try to get some excercise. I can't say if this is helping or not yet. I seem to be getting stronger but no weight loss on the scale yet (muscle heavier than fat?) and it's been so damn hot here over the last weeks (100 deg plus daily) that I haven't been consistent about getting out. I've actually been doing more bike trail rides on an old rigid MTB with an Adams Trail-a-bike and my 4 yr old daughter in tow which is pretty darn good excercise actually.
My goal is to get to 160-165 and stay there and to get some much need cardio fitness as heart issues run in my family (both sides).
Thanks for listening.
CPW
Old 07-25-05, 12:31 PM
Big Lug
Its a Mountain not a Hill

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPW
In Januuary of this year, I stepped onto a scale and was shocked to see that I weighed almost 200 lbs (198 actually) -I'm just shy of 5'8".
I started the Zone diet and within 3 1/2 months, I had lost almost 30 lbs. My low was 169 and I'm now hovering between 172 and 176.5. I've been really surprised how much my weight fluctuates during any given day.
I did all of this w/ diet only and I didn't give up my beloved beer and wine.
Now I seem to have levelled off and I'm finally added excercise to the equation. That's how I ended up here. I've bought a Kona Kikapu Deluxe and a Jamis Quest to try to get some excercise. I can't say if this is helping or not yet. I seem to be getting stronger but no weight loss on the scale yet (muscle heavier than fat?) and it's been so damn hot here over the last weeks (100 deg plus daily) that I haven't been consistent about getting out. I've actually been doing more bike trail rides on an old rigid MTB with an Adams Trail-a-bike and my 4 yr old daughter in tow which is pretty darn good excercise actually.
My goal is to get to 160-165 and stay there and to get some much need cardio fitness as heart issues run in my family (both sides).
Thanks for listening.
CPW
Awesome job Keep it up brother!
Old 07-25-05, 12:54 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my fattiest I was 195 and stood 6'4". I started riding in April, just taking my bike to and from work, with the occasional weekend ride. The commute is only 8km round trip. I've lost 12 pounds since then, and certainly gained strength. Heh, I can't believe that for the first few days I started commuting, I actually needed to stop for water on a 4km ride!! Now my max speed is higher, my average is higher, and I climb one particularily nasty hill much faster.

I want to find someone to ride with on the weekends to put in more KMs, but the only other biker I know sticks to the MTB side of things, while I prefer the road. I'm still working on getting my wife to come with me, but she always has an excuse...
Old 07-25-05, 07:07 PM
why1504

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a fat ass. In December I had gotten up to 310. I am down to 280. I walk on my treadmill (1.75-3.0 miles) about 3-4 times a week and have cut way back on my food consumption. I felt really good about my progress, until today. Theis evening I got out my mountian bike. Up until now I have been scared to ride it afraid my weight would hurt the bike. It was hot, heat index around 100, I couldn't even go a mile. Now granted where I died was going up a bad hill but geez - I felt worthless. I really got a long way to go before I can get back on a road bike, guess I will get some road tires for my mtn bike. I used to ride for miles and miles, hope I can get back where it was fun.
Old 07-25-05, 09:02 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, where are you 200-pounders coming from? 6'4" and 195 lbs? You're right in the middle of the recommended weight range for your height!

Just kidding, welcome aboard.

Why1504, you should be able to build up to decent rides at 280, and it will help you a lot in losing the rest, but don't expect miracles at first, especially in 100-degree Alabama heat!

When I brought exercise in, I too had lost about thirty pounds, only I went from around 400 to around 370. Like you, I started on treadmills, walking. Then I moved to an elliptical machine plus outdoor walking (but this was winter, so that was COLD.) When I started to get the urge to jog on the treadmill, I did it a few times but then switched off the treadmill and went only to the elliptical. When some kids at the school broke the elliptical, I went to stationary bikes and started programming in more and more hills and then pushing myself to do more and more speed. This was necessary because I was doing it on my lunch hour. It wasn't until this summer, when I no longer had access to the gym equipment, that I fixed up my bike and went riding. I was about 330 when I started.
If you're riding on roads or paved/gravel trails I suggest just getting out after it and not worrying about the bike. The more I talk to people about this face to face, the more convinced I am that the forums worry about this problem more than it warrants.

Don't worry too much about how much progress you're making how fast (although I always do) but just don't ever accept going backwards. Always progress, no matter what, and you'll be shocked how easy it will be.

Anyway, the reason I checked in here is to commit myself to taking a ride tomorrow morning. There, I said it, now I can't skip it. It's now been exactly two weeks since the surgery, and the doc has cleared me. (Anything except lifting more than 15 lbs, he says) I mowed the lawn, climbed four flights of stairs repeatedly, walked almost 8 miles and pulled the battery and alternator from my car, all without so much as a twinge of pain from the surgery site, so I think it's time. It's going to be an easy one, sitting upright, maybe 5-6 miles max around town early before it gets hot. But by God, I'm getting back on the bike!
I'm really excited about this; I've managed to lose a little weight since the surgery even with all the sitting around, so I can't wait to get back on the bike. If I can get under 300 by the time school starts, I'll be lighter than the people there have ever seen me before. Wouldn't that be a great way to go back?

Old 07-26-05, 08:38 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't get to go in the morning (despite my commitment here ) but I took the boys for a ride in the evening and we had a great time! We just did a couple of easy miles out to my parents' house and back; this is almost exactly four miles. It was awesome. I had to go slow behind my boys, but I really feel solid. I think I could go about as hard as I want; it doesn't seem to stress the surgical area at all.

Old 07-26-05, 09:13 PM
La Chica

Bikes: scwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a Weight management tip you may want to try:

Have protein within 30 minutes of getting up (I use Lean Complete or Quadplex - great to make a morning drink). If you don’t do this, your metabolism for the entire day will be slowed down. The body is looking for protein, if it doesn't find it, it believes you are trying to starve itself and will start to lower your metabolism to try to conserve what is there, the longer you wait to consume a protein the lower the metabolism will go until it is shut down completely for the day at about the 2 hour mark from waking.

I have been doing this for 4 weeks. First 2 weeks I dropped 5 lbs. and by the 4th week I also dropped one size in my clothes. I no longer have any cravings for junk or sweets and am eating healthier choices for lunch. I have lots of energy and feel better than I've felt for a long time!
I was skeptical at first but I achieved the weight loss (and better yet a leaner body) even though I didn't do any form of exercise! I did not even walk (due to the fact that I work 2 jobs and have little time for me!!)
My goal is to lose another 20 lbs. and I will keep you posted with my results as I am taking time out for a walk every other night.

My best to all of you,
La Chica
Old 07-26-05, 09:33 PM
cheebahmunkey
The Question Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by La Chica
Here's a Weight management tip you may want to try:

Have protein within 30 minutes of getting up (I use Lean Complete or Quadplex - great to make a morning drink). If you don’t do this, your metabolism for the entire day will be slowed down. The body is looking for protein, if it doesn't find it, it believes you are trying to starve itself and will start to lower your metabolism to try to conserve what is there, the longer you wait to consume a protein the lower the metabolism will go until it is shut down completely for the day at about the 2 hour mark from waking.

I have been doing this for 4 weeks. First 2 weeks I dropped 5 lbs. and by the 4th week I also dropped one size in my clothes. I no longer have any cravings for junk or sweets and am eating healthier choices for lunch. I have lots of energy and feel better than I've felt for a long time!
I was skeptical at first but I achieved the weight loss (and better yet a leaner body) even though I didn't do any form of exercise! I did not even walk (due to the fact that I work 2 jobs and have little time for me!!)
My goal is to lose another 20 lbs. and I will keep you posted with my results as I am taking time out for a walk every other night.

My best to all of you,
La Chica
where did you hear this?
Old 07-27-05, 07:56 PM
molinee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all.... what a great thread. I just found it a few days ago. I have lost 30 pounds over three months and currently down to 230. I am dieting and I "was" doing a lot of walking/jogging but have stress fractured a bone in my foot and need something less stressful .... So I am back to biking. I use to bike some years ago then got lazy but now I am really getting enthused again. Just ordered a new helmet, shoes, and clipless (yikes!) All of you guys/gals' stories are just great. On the discussion of Water with Meals issue I do know that your food will digest "better" if you don't dilute it with water as some have stated. However, with that being said, I think that you may retain a much more full feeling if you drink water or especially carbonated soda "just before and with your meal". What I have found with myself is that I stay FULLER LONGER and that helps me tremendously when I am dieting. This works for me.... and may not be for everybody.
-Just my $0.02
ps........................ Congrats to all of you who are Fighting the Fight!
Old 07-27-05, 08:11 PM
KeithA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great idea for a thread!

Last year, I tore ligaments in both knees and my weight ballooned to 215 as I could hardly walk for quite a few months. So, when I was feeling a bit better, I started to ride in May. Now down to 188 with a goal of 160 lbs., which will make me quite trim.

This thread will serve as my confessional. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week until I reach the high 170's. At that point, I want to take it down to losing one pound a week, so, if all goes well, I'll reach 178 in five weeks and my goal weight in 23 weeks.

I will post here every week in shame or glory.

Want to congratulate all that have been showing improvement in your battle against the bulge and those who are at least trying.
Old 07-30-05, 10:00 AM
gnosbike
Dragons are so stupid.

Bikes: Trek Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost 25 lbs before I bought my road bike using Kinetix.
Their program if free and most of the recipes you don't need to buy anything special.
Old 07-31-05, 09:50 AM
why1504

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished my third ride. 3 miles in 20 minutes. Weight is still at 280. Begining to find the old rythym. Had a flat today, cut my ride short. I think I will go ahead and swap out the off road tires for some street slicks.
Old 07-31-05, 02:53 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from another (slowly) recovering fat a**. My weight has gone up and down since I quit smoking eight or nine years ago, topping at about 265 a few years back. I dropped it to 210 by following a Weight Watchers diet and doing lots of treadmill walking and running. Unfortunately, I have slowly gone back up to, as of this morning, 244. (I actually hit 252 but am working my way back down.) I'm 6'1" and would be happy around 190. Hell, at this point, I'd be happy at 210 but 190 would be better.

A month or so ago I started biking again. I used to ride a lot in my younger days but had gotten away from it. Sold my not-so-hot road bike 10 years ago and bought a pretty decent Trek mountain bike, which I still have but haven't used much the last few years. So I took the mountain bike out on the road and started banging away ... and promptly had a revelation: What the hell am I doing on the stupid, boring treadmill when I could be riding?!?!?? I had forgotten how much fun road riding is. What an idiot! I used to love doing this, took part in group rides, did a Vermont bike tour, etc. I think I stopped around the time my biking partner across the street moved away. Anyhow, I'm shopping for a decent road bike but may put some slicks on the mountain bike to hold me over.

Weight management is made a bit more difficult for me as I travel quite a bit, work incredibly long hours when I'm on the road, and end up ordering meals from room service a lot. I leave town with the best of intentions of excersing at the hotel's gym but after working 18 hours rarely have the energy to do it. This leads to me getting out of the habit of exercising, and that kills me when I get home. Thankfully I'm finding that with biking, I really want to get out there after a trip ... unlike my feelings towards the treadmill after a trip. (Seriously, does anyone ever really want to hop on the treadmill? What a boring machine.)

So that's my story. I'm home for the weekend, between trips, and am riding both days. By the way: Yes, I have read "Heft On Wheels: How to Do a 180 On A Bicycle." It's a great book and I recommend it for anyone fighting the bulge. Very inspirational (though I don't think I'd want to follow the author's liquids-only diet.)
Old 07-31-05, 07:34 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never really ridden a road bike, so you may not find it such a revelation, but I was amazed how much difference it make to put slick tires on a 26" mountain bike, and mine was an ill-fitting Huffy. I recommend it.

It's weird; as kids, we rode whatever was cheap at the department store, so I went straight from 20" "BMX" bikes to "mountain bikes" because, hey, that's what they were selling the mart store. At the time I thought my mom and dad looked a little dorky on their curvy brown Schwinns from the 1970's on skinny slick tires (while I had awesome knobby tires and cool stickers and seven more gears than they had.)
Little did I realize that years later I'd hang those awesome knobbies on the wall and fork out good money for those dorky slick tires!

Old 08-01-05, 06:23 AM
why1504

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my mountian bike about 6 years ago. Prior to that is was road bike only. But the road bike was real old and all the componenets needed replacing so I got rid of it. I rode trails for one season till I went over the handlebars and almost broke my hand. Then I quit until last week. If I get my fat (and now sore) a$$ back in the saddle 3 times this week then I will order me some road slicks (figure I will have earned them at that point). I have to say, I really miss riding a road bike even though my mountian bike is really nice. If I get ever get back south of 240 I will get another one. Don, if you think road slicks made your huffy fun, well let me tell you a good road bike will accelerate at least twice as fast as the wheel weight will be at least 60% less than your current wheels. Of course it will be twice as twichy as well. When I started riding, decent road bikes weighed in at about 24-26 pounds. Today I would be suprised if the time trial bike Lance rode in the tour weighed 16 pounds. I remember when I test rode this itialian frame with Dura Ace components when Dura Ace was just begining to be accepted back about 1980, the bike weighed 23 pounds and it was the fastest thing I had ever seen. My mountian bike today weighs about 23 pounds but I have yet to get my pedaling rythymn back down. One other thing that you may want to try is cycling shoes and clipless pedals. Here again after getting used to them (2 rides) I could never return to toe clips. For me they are easier to get out of, a bit more difficult to get into, but you effeciency goes way up as the shoe keeps your feet flat.
Old 08-01-05, 08:51 AM
juf2m

Bikes: Serotta Fierte Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Just checking in to say that I am now down to 138!! That is 8lbs lost and I have broken the 140 barrier at last. Actually, I have had houseguests for the past month and have been eating like CRAZY, so it's possible I might have a delayed reaction and gain some back in the next couple of weeks....but hopefully it won't be an enormous amount.

In addition to meeting my summer goal of a metric century, I also did an even longer ride of 78 miles. Next goal is a century. Next weight goal is 130 by my wedding in October....hopefully I will be able to make it without sinking into a relapse, as I won't be doing much riding this fall (travel and immigration related stuff)!!
Old 08-01-05, 09:15 AM
Ritz
A New Creation!

Bikes: Sun EZ-1 SC ( My Truck )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!
Old 08-01-05, 08:16 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, I think I'll order the slicks as soon as I get home later in the week. But, like Why1504 said, road bikes are really fast compared to mtn bikes. Of course, part of me hates to give up the sturdiness of the mtn bike. I mean, you can beat the living crap out of them without worrying about it, and my fat butt probably won't bend the wheel or break the spokes. Still, a road bike sure sounds nice...
Old 08-02-05, 10:48 AM
why1504

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well yesterday I was my birthday and I bought myself a couple of street tires. Well it was worth the $40. I rode the bike 2 times yesterday and it really made the ride more enjoyable. Also this morning I climed back on the treadmill for the first time since the I got back on the bike. Well I was faster and set the incline higher that I ever had. Also I slipped below 280 to 278 this morning. Overall, a great day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.