Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Every Century has a Story.............

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Every Century has a Story.............

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 09:17 PM
paisan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Ride start for the French Creek Iron Tour is, I believe, Kimberton Fairgrounds. It's 10 to 15 minutes from where we met on the Schuylkill River Trail last year.
He's referring to the distance of the ride in relation to the claimed elevation gain for the ride, not how far from his house it is.
Old 05-13-12, 10:17 PM
Catlikeone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add my meat to the story.

Twas a gorgeous day and ride. The morning 26mi was a STRONG 18-19mph, I believe we arrived only moment or two after the first 5(max) riders to make the ferry, waited another 10-15 before the other groups trickled in. Watched some great live "bike show" action as everyone parked/mingled. Met Chris' old race team while waiting to board which was fun, their kit was SWEET(anyone that rides with me will tell you it's a big deal for me to award this title). Onto the ferry we continue our usual barbed banter, stretch, before docking where i made a reststop. Ran/hobbled in cleats right up to the boys all bright eyed and bushy tailed (not wanting to waste another min letting groups depart)

"Let's rock!" Staring expectantly, what are they waiting for? I'm here dammit

"Um, hey Cat, aren't you forgetting your bike?"

"Oh. I'm such an airhead lol" Bike is 20ft behind me still leaning against rail, DUH. They all laugh, just another ride with Cat.

Initial adrenaline wears off for me so I try to get comfy until next stop 20-some miles later at the 42 mark since day was just starting to heat up. About 10-15mi before the 42 we spot a large group so off we go to play rabbit into a headwind so we can ride the train to the feedstop.

And play rabbit we did.

I read somewhere in a race article that you neither want to be on the front or sitting on the back in a speed setting, I was smack on the a$$(for good reason/strategy being the only 5'3" person among four 6'+ clydes in a paceline). Because of this the entire ride I spent a good deal trying to make sure that no gap was opened more than a bike length. In tennis I picked up the saying "You run, you die" same goes for cycling. 15 seconds of pain is much better than spending a half hour just attempting to make contact all by yourself. While trying to make the bridge to the group ahead at 20-22mph I slipped back and fought back, repeatedly( ex boss called me Kujo for a reason although the boys updated it to dub me weeble-wobble) At some point I was maxing out 26.1mph in pursuit of someone's sweet, sweet draft since the wind on the farm fields were brisk and spun myself out hard with a much too high cadence, takes these baby legs a lot to match the output of a stable of clydes, and an ever open gap. We made the feedstop where I was holding back the crankiness building, more with myself then anyone else. Another cross over sport tip from tennis, "keep emotions on lock and don't let them see you flinch".

Carrying on I started to feel just how many matches I burned during the bridge attempt along with my "custom" feeding setup failing me. I have a confidence issue taking hands off bars from past issues and the only reason I could stomach solid food after an LT effort was mind over matter chewing cud forever after just stuffing whatever landed near my mouth. We set out after the group with Chris sending Will and Issac ahead then me. I had yet another bridge attempt as I was slow to leave but had Chris at my back encouraging me then squashing my half-hearted hissing. Nerves, all nerves. Unfortunately, a squirrely loner decided to snag one of my boy's wheel and latch on in front of me when I pressed on more HTFU. No later than I settled into a groove did he start weaving wildly, I mean center line to curb with cars back and sucking the wheel of rider in front of him. Now, I'm not the most graceful of riders but even I shook my head and backed way off his line. (Que my infamous 'HOLD YOUR LINE!! screech ) Chris was sweeping me and in effort to protect me from the worst case scenario told me to drop back into his draft which I most certainly did! Since I had previous experience riding a bad wheel in front from a previous group ride I'd say I handled him well but was nonetheless on the defensive edge. Several miles later we continued on with the group after Chris asked for and announced our presence to their group leader. I caught a good wheel(and backside i might add) in the pack of 20 or so riders. Mr. Squirrel then made another move in the line proving himself much too dangerous to be within range of. We let them go.

Continuing on I made my bones miles 60-79, which is what I expected from a pre-century pep talk with another cycling friend that regularly does centuries a few times a month on whim. I bunkered down and accepted the "suck", held on as hard as I could as my boys were working hard for me. Everyone of them- from Big machine Terminator Troy keeping watch behind me but letting me fight my own battles, to Quiet Lion Will helping me close gaps when I needed some extra oomph, to my fav draft buddy in the yellow jersey being my beacon of hope/determination (no one and I mean NO ONE is taking that draft but me or my guys) during sprints, to my fellow hot-tempered meathead Chris stoking the fire when chatting abreast and watching him eat it into the wind for DOZENS of miles for the group

At some point we hit a bridge which was the 'mountain' of the ride, it was like the baby burp of the hills around Chris,Will, and I. I missed my hills, after miles of open fields/swamp and hamster spinning anyone would. Like the boys recounted, Troy's wheel exploded in front of me on the busiest section of road, he handled it like the capable person he is while i grabbed the boys. SAG came and protected us from traffic while the boys booted up to make it down the rode to 7-11. We were there for a bit but got it under control and met some great people. I discovered the restorative power of Coke mixed with Accelerade and electrolyte tabs while slamming my seat back. An 80yo vet helped us and decided to sit in for the remainder of ride, he was a pleasure to ride with. Plan was to blow the next reststop and that's what we did. Like above, Chris had a spoke break but sent us on our way despite protests and was scooped by SAG.

I finished the next 10 a little shaky after having been off bike for more than 30mins during repair but slowly my juice came back. Troy swept me but never coddled me along, seemed to know what would work for me, then again he taught navy men. I sat in, he never rushed. If I wanted to try for the bridge, he had my back. If I got to big for my breeches and outspent, I had a wheel to hug. A word of encouragement, all mine but only when I needed it most. The 15mi after were very comfy, Stella got her groove back and started clocking back in at 16, just as Meathead in his big OBNOXIOUS truck came on us . A sight for sore eyes Our spirits lifted with his antics, I know mine sure did. Only missing some cow bell lol.

Landing at the start I was kinda of numb emotionally/mentally and for some time after. Food and fresh clothes later, Will and I played team car for the Lone Ranger after a slight mis-start. We were both impressed with Chris' >cough< Lance's >cough< hauling tail and were cheering for him. It's an amazing experience to watch one of your people do their thing screaming down the roads they love in full roadie fashion. I wish I got a pic of him passing but I did get this poignant photo of him with the open road ahead of him.

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lone Ranger Chris.jpg (42.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-14-12, 04:38 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GREAT read Cat and Chris. Great to see all the stories and what we all faced.
Old 05-14-12, 04:50 AM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Too Big for my Britches!
Hey chef, remeber that. That seems like an eternity ago. How would you with them do now?
Old 05-14-12, 05:07 AM
Catlikeone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Oh now he's just too small for his. I maintain that he mustn't fade too much on us as I can only get so low in an aero tuck to bask in his draft. Way stronger than he thinks.
Old 05-14-12, 05:11 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lenny866
Hey chef, remeber that. That seems like an eternity ago. How would you with them do now?
The century was flat. I was extemely happy with how I rode (but to be frank, I couldnt have done it without riding with everyone these last 5 weeks.... they push me to be better and I love it). The hills I still suck at but as Cat said.... I am "EMRACING" the suck and will start getting better at climbing.
Old 05-14-12, 05:13 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Catlikeone
^ Oh now he's just too small for his. I maintain that he mustn't fade too much on us as I can only get so low in an aero tuck to bask in his draft. Way stronger than he thinks.
Funny thing is that I heard it form three people yesterday about how nice the draft was. You, the 80 year old guy on the last 25 miles and the lady in yellow (think it was a lady). I like to draft off Chris, especially when he is on his top bars and I am in my drops.
Old 05-14-12, 07:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Ride start for the French Creek Iron Tour is, I believe, Kimberton Fairgrounds. It's 10 to 15 minutes from where we met on the Schuylkill River Trail last year.
It is. Registration closes June 5th or when 1,800 slots are filled, whichever happens first. No day-of registrations.
Old 05-14-12, 09:13 AM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great time. Well done, guys - well done. Great ride reports, too.
Old 05-14-12, 01:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Great stories! You guys worked hard to put in that century.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-14-12, 04:16 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chef, I think you underestimate yourself.

Either way....well done (by you and the others) on this ride and the last few weeks. I have enjoyed the following it.
Old 05-14-12, 04:26 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Lenny. I may, you might be right however I know what I suck at and need work on. Until I prove things to myself, they are goals to reach. Like climbing. I know I suck but thats ok because I will get better.
Old 05-14-12, 07:29 PM
CBuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chef,
Congrats on the century and thanks for the ride report.
I too need to start working on the hills, cuz there aren't many flat centuries out there!
Old 05-14-12, 08:10 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great time, thanks to all for the ride reports!
Old 05-15-12, 04:48 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a story!! Thanks for the pics and blog link also!
Old 05-15-12, 09:51 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Well done y'all! I appreciate the detail in your write up, inspiring.