Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Zealand tour is complete!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 01:32 PM
charbucks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It was amazing

It's nice to actually go touring instead of sitting at work reading and obsessing about it. We biked 1100 km of the South Island, spending 20 out of 28 days on the bike (and running one half-marathon!). Here's a few things I learned (probably all listed in the tips sticky, but there's nothing like learning first hand):

- Taking five minutes to adjust your seat makes all the difference
- Always carry a day's rations of emergency food - you never know if the only shop in 150 km might be closed
- A spare tube AND a patch kit are both necessary, but duct tape can last a surprisingly long time
- If there's two people, don't assume the other person has the pump
- There's no shame in taking a bus
- Rain gear is worth the weight
- If you have a chance to take a quiet, mountainous, windy road instead of a flat busy one, do it
- Bike touring counts as training for a half marathon, if you don't care about your time

All in all, it was a great experience. I'm looking forward to the next one already!
(Shameless plug) I'm in the middle of blogging about it too: https://charlottefern.blogspot.ca/sea.../New%20Zealand
Old 06-05-12, 01:55 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures, I enjoyed looking at them....seriously jelly
Old 06-05-12, 04:14 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Your summary of what you learned, charbucks, is excellent. And yes, experience is the key.

New Zealand is on our list of things to do. Although it is only across the Tasman Sea from us, we've never been there (and for me as an Australian, that's probably a sin). And it's not on the agenda for our upcoming round-the-worlder... so it looks like it will be the next big trip we do after that.
Old 06-06-12, 05:59 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew
Old 06-06-12, 06:47 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice, thanks for posting! NZ was my first solo tour, years ago, and I loved it, this brings back memories. I was in a lot of the same places.
Old 06-06-12, 09:02 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great trip, thanks!
Old 06-06-12, 09:59 AM
charbucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl
Nice, thanks for posting! NZ was my first solo tour, years ago, and I loved it, this brings back memories. I was in a lot of the same places.
It's a beautiful country, isn't it! I don't think I'm quite ready for a solo tour just yet, but I could see NZ being the place to do it. I've heard it's got more solo female travellers than anywhere else, because it's just such a safe and friendly place.
Old 06-06-12, 01:45 PM
SanDiegoCyclist

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Trek 520, Waterford

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Charbucks, sounds like you had a great trip. We toured New Zealand in 1988 and it was fantastic. Near Queenstown, they had cleared away the town for the dam you talked about in your journal, but I don't think the dam was up and running yet. When we stayed in Q'town we scheduled a bus trip to Milford Sound, but there was a landslide that closed the road and we were unable to get there. It's too bad you didn't bicycle over Haast Pass to the West Coast. We thought that was the most beautiful part of our trip. At that time, you could walk right up to the end of the Franz Josef Glacier. Amazing!! NZ is on our list to return. BTW, last summer we cycled in BC from Victoria-Prince Rupert-Jasper. Didn't quite get to Calgary.
Old 06-06-12, 05:04 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
How were the drivers and the traffic? I've read some things that say the drivers aren't too friendly to cyclists.
Old 06-06-12, 11:38 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
How were the drivers and the traffic? I've read some things that say the drivers aren't too friendly to cyclists.
My wife and I toured NZ in 2007. We felt that it wasn't that the drivers weren't friendly, on the contrary, we had drivers stop us and ask us if we needed directions, it's that they generally didn't move over much when passing us.

Although it was occasionally frustrating and scary, the scenery and incredibly friendly Kiwis more than made up for it.
Old 06-07-12, 09:21 AM
charbucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SanDiegoCyclist: I heard about the landslide risk - too bad! Milford Sound is beautiful, although if I were to return I don't think I'd take a tour bus. Or maybe have the bus drop me off for a couple of days of hiking/biking to really experience it. We also really wanted to cycle over Haast, but we only had a week to get to Blenheim for our half marathon so it just didn't seem practical.

Ironwood: For the most part, I would say they were quite friendly. Contrary to niknak's experience, I found that if possible, most cars passed us as if we were cars, with plenty of space. The main issue is that the infrastructure isn't very good for cycling, and the shoulders are mostly non-existent. Also, the big logging trucks, milk trucks, animal transport trucks, etc, were very scary. Those guys just don't want to slow down for anything! Once we had a transport truck actually honk at us to get out of the way on a busy and narrow section. There was no shoulder, so we both just swerved into the ditch.