Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Soma Oxford Pedal Review

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Soma Oxford Pedal Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 05:19 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Oxford Pedal Review

I haven't seen to much info out there for the Soma Oxford Pedal, so I thought I'd write a quick review.

In short, I really like them. They are large platform pedal from soma that can take toe clips.

Soma Oxford Pedal

I've tried a lot of different pedals over the years for commuting ( mks touring, deity decoy with holdfast straps, time atac, shimano spd, eggbeaters, mks bmx, too many ), and these are my current favorite for non clipless riding.

I have size 13 feet, and I find most pedals out there are too small for me to be comfortable. I was looking for something the size of a bmx pedal, but that could take traditional toe clips, and these fit the bill. They are noticeably more comfortable than rat trap style pedals, like the MKS touring, that tend to dig into soft soled sneakers. I did a couple of rides with an MKS touring pedal on one side, and the Soma on the other, and the Soma gives a lot more support and comfort.

They have a nice cutout on the bottom side to give more clearance when cornering.

The pedal is fairly long vertically. I had to drop down a size in toe clips to make up for the distance. I do wish they had a bit more grip. The surface is pretty slippery, so I would not recommend riding them without toe clips. I like this feature because it makes getting in and out of the clips really easy, but the lack of bite could bother some people. I was thinking about tapping the pedals for a few bmx pins, but I don't think I'll bother.

I've done a few long rides and they worked well. I think they would make a great touring pedal. I've ridden in sneakers ( onitsuka tiger ) and boots ( Dr Martens ) and they work well with both. For boots in particular, it's really nice to be able to ride with clips still and have such a big pedal.

They are a bit overpriced, but that's about my only complaint.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
soma1.jpg (94.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg
soma2.jpg (96.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-19-15, 04:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Looks pretty nice, I like how the front & rear bars are more like platform and less like knives cutting into your shoes (feet)
Old 11-19-15, 05:01 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too! It's surprising there are not more pedals like this on the market.
Old 11-21-15, 11:21 AM
cwjDC

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, 1989 Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The velo orange touring pedals are very similar and I love them. A bit better price and then pins can be removed if you're concerned about dress shoes.

VO Touring Pedals