Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Argh! Someone evil is messing with my precious bike at work:(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Argh! Someone evil is messing with my precious bike at work:(

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 10:31 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
That's really rough. I'm pretty non-confrontational, so I would have a really hard time with that situation.

FWIW, here's my thought. Your manager has said she doesn't care about the bike storage regulations. I think you might be able to defuse the situation somewhat if you go to her and say, it makes sense, your job is to manage employees, not to manage extra stuff like parking. I just want to let you know I still need to pursue this issue (the bike is my transportation to work!), so I was thinking about taking it to HR, it's probably more in their domain to deal with regulation compliance kind of stuff. My goal is not to 'tattle' or try to get you in trouble or to get HR to force you to do what I want; my goal is for HR to do what I need. So how about when I go to HR, I tell them you sent me, because this issue is more for them to take care of than you.

I would hope with an approach like this, you can get the manager back on your side.

But also, shop for folders, and a new job. If you are important enough, having a job offer you are willing to switch to will be leverage to make them provide sufficient bike parking. If you are not important enough for them to provide you sufficient bike parking, then it would be good to know if there are other jobs out there for you. And if you find there are no other jobs out there for you, that's not good, but it's important to know! Maybe you can take some classes, add some skills.

Fortunately unemployment is very low right now, so employers are forced to be less selective about who they hire, so it should be easier for a motivated, hard worker to get a new gig, learn on the job, and prove themselves.
Old 09-19-18, 11:45 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I was using a cruiser bike at the first airport where I worked on the flight line. It was my only Schraeder valved bike, and that worked great, as all the airplanes were similarly equipped.
When I needed to top off the tires on one of the airplanes, I didn't need to haul a big pressure tank or compressor out... just used my Mountain Morph.
Some yahoo decided it would be funny to let the air out of my tires every time he got the chance. I never proved it, though I had an idea who it was. Rather than start up any additional drama, I just slipped a couple presta tubes in, with the hole adapters. Never had a problem after that. I guess tire air was ok, but he wouldn't go further than that.
Old 09-19-18, 07:20 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
ok, thank you everyone for talking me down i still feel like ****e ( can i say that here?) but calming down.....

so now looking at other options-

the new communal locker cage is going to have a grand opening within 2 wks but its made of chain link(), will have some sort of keyed entrance, will have to bring own locks and will be first come/first served- yuck.... thats why i started commuting by bicycle because they got rid of nearly 1800 parking spaces and it made impossible to find parking for the midshift.

looking to make oma smaller to fit her into the tiny private bike cave- i'm short so i can lower the handle bars a bit more and change out happy much loved clarijis permanent panniers for easy removable ones.

sooo- pannier recommendations. i need something that will latch onto oma's generous rear rack girth- i tried the workcycles website but it only says its a beefy postal rear rack- no measurements and with a sturdy easy to remove rack system.

i'm giving up wanting only pretty panniers and looking to just get ortliebs- they seem to have the best,sturdy, reliable latching system that's stupid easy (important for me) because i'll need to throw them off quickly without fuss to cram oma inside a tiny cave on a regular basis.

otlieb users- there are so many models! i currently use the clarijis L/xl (can't remember). what is a good alternative model? back roller classic or city? always carry a large meal bag ( 2.5 meals, snacks), handbag, jacket etc. is the latching system between QL1, QL2 very different?

luv my coworkers and the job but hate management, sometimes i want to quit(!) but i'd take a big pay cut, lose seniority and have to drive again.... cant't do that must ride bike.
Old 09-20-18, 07:19 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I love my Ortlieb Bike Shopper. I love it so much, I bought a second one. They are bigger than what I usually carry (the green conversion bag I posted above). However, on the days when it is rainy or I need more room, this thing is awesome. I got the second one for when I go camping. Easy-on--easy-off.
https://ortliebusa.com/product/bike-shopper/
They list for $100 each, but I got mine on sale for $75 (REI and a local bike shop ran specials on them months apart).
Old 09-20-18, 09:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Ortliebs cost a lot, I don't have them, but I've never read anybody say they aren't worth the price.
Old 09-20-18, 03:47 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
am i crazy?
I'm going to say yes. I don't understand why this is even an issue, unless for purely compassion reasons. You are not legally or socially entitled to park your bicycle anywhere, let alone in an ADA shower stall (which you alone decided fits your personal storage requirements). Step away from the situation and look at the big picture, the story sounds very silly. That's why your manager doesn't want to deal with it. If you are so afraid of theft, get a beefy u-lock or two or a beater bike.
Old 09-20-18, 04:14 PM
freckles

i went to check out a set of used ortlieb front rollers in white earlier- seller said it was in nearly new condition and lightly used but it was pretty worn with breakthough holes along the bottom and sides. i really wanted this pair because they are white and ortlieb only offers white in the city model.

i was surprised how thin the material is though after reading how tough they're supposed to be, hopefully the pair i saw were just really abused.

the clarijis panniers are super heavy duty "bulletproof" compared to the ortlieb but no matter i ordered a set of the front/sport rollers in yellow so now i'll look like a bubble bee buuzzzzz
Old 09-21-18, 09:07 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You should bring her a small gift for guarding your bike all the time. People using the showers for storage need to stick together.
listen to this!

befriend her. do something nice for her out of the blue. people will usually reciprocate
Old 09-21-18, 03:01 PM
freckles

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
listen to this!

befriend her. do something nice for her out of the blue. people will usually reciprocate

Yes, i ended up being friendly and talking with her for the last couple of months.

She was on vacation and her replacement actually cleaned the locker room, whole bathroom stalls, even mopped the floor it was amazing for that short while but i digress.... when she returned i did chat her up- asked her about her vacation, etc and its been better

I did check the bicycle locker again- with the handlebars a bit lower and no panniers, its cramped but she does fit so that's be her new spot until the communal storage locker opens up and they get rid of the individual lockers.
Old 09-21-18, 05:27 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I'd say clearly not a designated bike park. It's a risk. if something happens too bad, unless you cleared i​​​t with management, then you might have recourse depending on circumstances.
Old 10-04-18, 06:22 AM
edgrissom

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a high school band director for 34 years and learned early on that custodians/bus drivers/cafeteria workers/secretaries can make your life very easy or very hard. I always made friends with them and had a great relationship built so I was able to get anything I needed out of them. However, I needed to already have this relationship in place before I started asking for things. It is possible that the housekeeper sees this locker area as their "space" and is in a power struggle with you over your bike being there. Did you ask them first? I know this seems silly, but that's what I learned over the years.