Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Snagged an Electra C1 Lux on marketplace

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 08:59 AM
Muddydog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 4 Posts

I’ve been down the rabbit hole the last few weeks researching cruisers, trying out different models at my local bike shops, etc. Totally overthinking having a grab-n-go bike to ride with my kids.
I looked at Electra Townie, Jamis and Sun cruisers. The only one I wanted to test but wasn’t able was a Electra C1.
Of course, that’s what happened to pop up on Marketplace this week the next town over.
A Electra C1 Lux (aluminum) model in grey/geen.
Based on the WTU serial number ending in “R” it appears to be a 2022 model? Could that be right? It looks brand new except for a few scratches on the top tube from transport.

Not sure this would have been my #1 pick as I’m a little undecided on the more foot-forward crank and I may ultimately want a different saddle. But honestly this style is just so different than my usual MTBs and Fitness bikes it’s hard to know. But I saved hundreds on a quality cruiser and thought it was worth a try.

Worked out pretty well on its maiden cruise with the kids yesterday.

Anyone with saddle suggestions or a favorite cup holder add on please let me know.

Last edited by Muddydog; 03-06-23 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-26-23, 02:11 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Love those C1’s .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 02-26-23, 02:45 PM
Muddydog

Originally Posted by OldCruiser
Love those C1’s .
I’ve enjoyed your experiments with saddles. This will live under cover but a little more open to the elements than I think would be good for a Brooks. So I’m looking for some that might take the elements a little better.

Also tempted to try some different handlebars as I like the looks of those BMX style bars but not sure where I’d start. Have you tried any alternative bars?
Old 03-05-23, 06:31 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddydog
I’ve enjoyed your experiments with saddles. This will live under cover but a little more open to the elements than I think would be good for a Brooks. So I’m looking for some that might take the elements a little better.

Also tempted to try some different handlebars as I like the looks of those BMX style bars but not sure where I’d start. Have you tried any alternative bars?
I’ve tried all sorts of different handlebars , but seem to always come back to the factory bullhorn bars .
Old 03-06-23, 06:42 PM
Muddydog

Bars swaps

I’ve considered Surley Sunrise and Velo Orange Klunkers but both are pretty expensive experiments.
Old 04-06-23, 06:11 AM
T REXXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
cool
Old 05-18-23, 07:48 AM
wilserbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I sold an Electra C1 lux a couple years ago during Covid, I let a guy take it for a test drive just to demonstrate the difference b/w a nice bike and a turd lol. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I missed the bike and nice ride, and often regretted selling it. Anyways I found another about a month ago and am happy to have it in my stable. The Lux version rides so nice compared to the standard C! IMO, b/w the better tires, alum frame and crank. and a better seat the difference is night and day IMO! Hard to find the Lux models used at a good price, if you see one, buy it, you won't regret it!!!
Old 05-18-23, 11:14 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Not to hijack, but who cares what you're riding with cute kids like that? However, even though saddles are such a personal thing, I've always had good luck with WTB, whether inexpensive or the other variety.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-18-23, 12:07 PM
wilserbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I’m not always thrilled with the foot forward geometry, I recall turning the seat clamp to fasten in front of rather than behind the seat post, moves the seat forward 1 - 1/2, makes a difference.
Old 07-01-23, 08:57 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Love the looks of those cruisers. But I am leary of pedal forward design. I know Electra single speed coaster brake are great because I have a Loft 1
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 07-01-23, 11:57 PM
NYLowLife

Bikes: Greenspeed GT16; previously, mostly recumbents and track bikes (fixies)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
I test rode some Electras at a shop last Sunday. They ride smooth, and the Nexus 3-sp offers a very sensible gear range.

BUT - with the crank-forward design, you get greater distance between the saddle and the handlebars. The shop owner even told me that the chains need to be longer on Electras than on Suns and other cruisers.

Anyway, this greater distance to the handlebars was not good for my lower back. I felt stretched forward. So I passed on the Electras. I went to another shop and ordered a Sun 3-sp.
Likes For NYLowLife:
Old 07-12-23, 08:16 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I got my wife an Electra Townie GO! 7D (electric) a month or so ago. It is very similar to your bike; same foot-forward design, but it's a step-through, with a bigger downtube to house batteries.

We find the stock saddle to be fine. Between the balloon tires and the rubber bushings built into the seat, it's comfy.

If I WERE to replace the saddle, I'd probably get another one of these. (on sale for Prime Day too, if you're an Amazon Prime member!) They really coddle the backside and that huge width that would chafe on any other type of bike wouldn't be a problem with a foot-forward bike. Double springs, too.

Wife's Electra Townie GO! 7D is in the middle.