Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Long Beach, NY - lots of of everyday beach cruisers

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 11:42 AM
NYLowLife

Bikes: Greenspeed GT16; previously, mostly recumbents and track bikes (fixies)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts

This last Sunday I took a ride along the boardwalks of Rockaway Beach and Long Beach. These areas are long skinny barrier islands along the south shore of Long Island, New York. At Long Beach there were more beach cruisers than I have ever seen in my life! There were tons of them parked and leaning up against the non-water-side boardwalk fence. At one crowded area along the fence I rode by slowly and took a video that lasted over a minute. Below are some highlight shots from the video.

The Long Beach boardwalk is visited mostly by locals, and many of them ride there. Because of Long Beach's skinny shape, all its residents live within easy riding distance of the beach. The local bike shops sell lots of beach cruisers. I saw Sun, Jamis, Giant, Diamondback, Retrospec, Tuesday, Electra and Huffy cruisers. Also saw a lot of hybrids.

These were regular beach cruisers used as transportation. Many had surfboard racks installed. Other than that they weren’t modded, and I didn’t get the impression of a cruiser bike “scene.” Though I did see one guy on a Phat Cycles custom.

I’ve never seen so many beach cruisers ever!

Likes For NYLowLife:
Old 08-01-23, 12:02 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Yep, Long Beach is ideal Cruiser territory. Most residents live within blocks of the beach as you stated above and riding a cruiser with flop-flops is just fine. It is a nice ride on the boardwalk when you are just cruising along. 2+ miles of smooth cruising. I may have to get down that way sometime soon. Thanks for reminding me @NYLowLife .
Old 08-01-23, 12:44 PM
NYLowLife

Velo Mule Yeah it is a great ride, very smooth new boards. A couple of other things I noticed. Long Beach's boardwalk is about half a mile from Rockaway's boardwalk, I rode both that day, up and back. It's a lot shorter than Rockaway's but has about 10x as many bikes.

And maybe it's just me, the way I like to seek out the social aspects of cycling -- but I noticed no traces of clubs or crews or groups riding cruisers because they are cruisers. Around NYC I've seen that with roadies, with fixies, with scooter groups, with recumbents and with Schwinn fans. But not with cruisers.

In some places, cruisers have some overlap with vintage and custom bike fans, and clubs patterned after motorcycle clubs, etc. I stopped by Local Cycles in Long Beach. They do some custom cruisers and choppers, and have hosted rides and events at based at the shop. The owner told me also that there is no "scene" in Long Beach, despite the great setting. And when he invites groups to come in (like the Jersey Devils or VooDoo Bike Rides), they come from far away. I was hoping to find something along those lines there.....
Old 08-01-23, 01:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
My work cycling commute route used Rockaway Beach Blvd. in the NYC part of the Rockaways, it had a marked one-way bike lanes on each side of the road and was routinely used by these local cyclists riding the wrong way in the lane. I called them the “Rockaway Wrong-Ways”. They were outright dangerous as they would come out of a side street on the beach side without looking if there was oncoming traffic. I had many near head on collisions we these clueless *******s on their beach cruisers.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-01-23, 02:03 PM
NYLowLife

I ride down there 2-3 times per summer, always on Sundays. I see even more people riding beach cruisers on the cross-streets, like Beach 126th to about Beach 109th, residential area. Going to or from the boardwalk I guess.