Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Wheel replacment recommendation

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-23, 12:26 PM
rstuppi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I suffered 4 broken spokes after nicking a rock no bigger than a baseball. One spoke I could understand, but 4? The wheel is 26", black, fitted with a coaster brake (beach cruiser) and I suspect it is low quality as there are no brand names, labels, etc. on any of the wheel's components. So now I am thinking of replacing both wheels with something high quality designed for a 260lb rider who does 5-7 miles daily. I know little about quality components and so I am looking for suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Old 08-08-23, 09:42 PM
b1934

Bikes: 2017 Hyper Beach Cruiser, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1974 Motobecane Mirage

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shimano CB-E110 is a good hub. You can check out atomiccycles.com's Coaster Brake Challenge pages for good info on coaster brakes & rims, and there's always your local bike shop.
Old 08-08-23, 09:59 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Maybe it wasn’t so much the quality of the wheel but that the spokes didn’t have enough tension.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-21-23, 02:13 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Walmart sells 27” coaster brake wheels. I just recently thought if they existed and they do. Bigger wheels better rolling better tire selection available at 27”
Old 08-22-23, 08:53 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
Black spokes from China break quite often. Most that I replace at the shop are black, even those on $1500+ bikes. I call them mystery meat spokes, you never know what's under the black coating. Usually nothing strong. DT Champion 2.0 spokes are far stronger than those spokes on chinese made bikes. DT stainless steel spokes are available in a many thicknesses but the 2.0mm straight gauge is plenty strong for tandems. I have them on my bicycle built for 4 people (with 2 wheels) and didn't break any spokes in 10,000 miles with 700 pounds of bike and riders.

There are wider rims with more metal that should be stronger but i've found the wider chinese made crusier rims bend pretty easily. Those no-name rims or HJC rims are just barely acceptable for average riders who don't abuse them. A name brand rim is usually stronger. Araya, Mavic, Sun, etc. Araya made wide cruiser rims. Sun made heavier aluminum rims like the Rhino or Rhino Lite. Aluminum rims sure ride better due to being so much lighter. Many aluminum rims on the boxmart bikes are narrow but some bikes have wider aluminum rims. I would not buy new wheels. Many new wheels won't be any stronger than the ones you have as they are basically the same as what you have now. Unless you get heavy duty wheels with thick spokes and hd rims. Worksman Cycles is one source for sturdy wheels but those may be overkill. I'd rebuild the wheels you have with DT spokes. Once the spokes are removed, you can lay the rim on a flat surface to see if it's warped and should be replaced. Note the spokes are usually different lengths on the rear wheel right side vs left side. 3 mm or less difference.

Plenty of vids on respoking wheels. Cruiser wheels are about the easiest to respoke.
Old 09-02-23, 12:09 PM
HarryPotter69

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The What
Old 09-14-23, 12:38 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryPotter69
The What
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

my point exactly.

even when the question is simple

people just see it as a opportunity to put their vast knowledge of useless information on display
Old 09-26-23, 09:52 PM
oldiron

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have an 80's Nishiki beach cruiser that came with rather generic wheels, steel rims, plain spokes, and a Shimano clone rear hub.
The original wheels are okay but the rear hub was more trouble than it was worth. I swapped in an older Bendix Red Band II hub about 5 years ago.
The plan is also to build it a better set of wheels, and for that I'm looking for a pair of older mountain bike rims, with DT stainless spokes and the Bendix hub.

I thought about Worksman rims but they are both heavy and expensive for what they are. Their heaviest rim, looks more like a motorcycle wheel.