Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbee question on gearing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Newbee question on gearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-23, 11:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
No. I'm claiming that you were rude about looking something up, then called the freewheel you looked up a cassette. And then essentially recommended a replacement cassette to for a bike that can't use one.

Point being: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
To be fair, I found that item listed under the “cassette” category on the specs list for multiple retail sites for that bike. It wasn’t until I dug deeper into the specific Shimano part number that I found it is a freewheel.
Old 11-20-23, 11:47 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
And then essentially recommended a replacement cassette to for a bike that can't use one.
Provide a citation on that.

You can, if you are so inclined, re-read this thread and discover that I made no such recommendation. In other words, "You can look it up" instead of talking out of your nether regions.
Old 11-20-23, 11:57 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
ITYF there's a distinct lack of choice when looking for 11-up or even 12-up 7 speed freewheels, and that is rather pertinent to the quest for a higher gear.
There are plenty of 13-up 7-spd freewheels, which is still a higher gear -- and it's not like OP needs to buy a dozen different versions, one will suffice. And "less choice" does not remotely mean the same thing as "no choice".

And again, I made no comment on replacing any parts on OP's ride. I just corrected the notion suggested by some that it was unlikely OP was spinning out their OEM gears. The exact opposite is the case, and -- as I said -- it is very easy to imagine a cyclist requiring a taller gear than 36-14.
Old 11-21-23, 01:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
..it is very easy to imagine a cyclist requiring a taller gear than 36-14.
Certainly. My MTB top gear is 32x10, but it’s rare I’m riding on mild downhills where I need to pedal. However, the 38x11 top gear on my gravel bike has left me wanting more at a recent race/event.
Old 11-21-23, 01:56 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Certainly. My MTB top gear is 32x10, but it’s rare I’m riding on mild downhills where I need to pedal. However, the 38x11 top gear on my gravel bike has left me wanting more at a recent race/event.
Yeah I can easily see the OP spinning out on trails.

I would give that 11T freewheel a go, and ask a shop to swap them if buying two tools is unwelcome.

Although - it seems to use British rather than ISO threading. Why would they do that? Surely that’s not standard on the e-bikes it’s being sold for and not likely on the Talon. So we’re back to a new wheel perhaps, at which point it’s cassette time.

Or the OP could just go with his “ride it until the next bike” plan.

Last edited by choddo; 11-21-23 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-21-23, 07:33 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Yeah I can easily see the OP spinning out on trails.

I would give that 11T freewheel a go, and ask a shop to swap them if buying two tools is unwelcome.

Although - it seems to use British rather than ISO threading. Why would they do that? Surely that’s not standard on the e-bikes it’s being sold for and not likely on the Talon. So we’re back to a new wheel perhaps, at which point it’s cassette time.

Or the OP could just go with his “ride it until the next bike” plan.
I don't understand what is wrong with my advice to get a common and inexpensive12t freewheel that uses the same tool as the OPs current wheel.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-21-23, 07:49 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
My 7 speed uniglide cassette's smallest cog (which identifies as a lock ring and wears ear gauges and black nail polish) and I both rate the entertainment value of this thread as 13...
Old 11-21-23, 06:20 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
What do you think about having to raise the derailleur and redo the shifting, and the limitations on how much chainring size difference the front derailleur can tolerate?What about chain length?
What about the chainrings not being demountable? Just for completeness, like.
Likes For grumpus: