Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What Do I Do With Replacement Crank Set Grease Balls?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What Do I Do With Replacement Crank Set Grease Balls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 04:42 PM
Heat88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I forgot to say that I didn't cross thread. I was worried about the puller's threads getting stripped. I didn't realize the arms were made of aluminum.

Is there a video that shows someone taking apart a crank like mine(whether or not they couldn't pull one of the arms off)? I found one or two videos, but the crank was different in those. There's no way I can remove the bearing and the other parts from the other side and push the shaft/spindle through? I want to at least see what I can't see because the chain rings are in the way.
Old 03-03-24, 04:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat88
I forgot to say that I didn't cross thread. I was worried about the puller's threads getting stripped. I didn't realize the arms were made of aluminum.

Is there a video that shows someone taking apart a crank like mine(whether or not they couldn't pull one of the arms off)? I found one or two videos, but the crank was different in those. There's no way I can remove the bearing and the other parts from the other side and push the shaft/spindle through? I want to at least see what I can't see because the chain rings are in the way.
From a 10-second YouTube search (a.k.a. Let Me Google That For You).

But it would make sense to give us some photos of your crank, the stripped threads, etc., at this point. The fact that you're still confused about what happened indicates that merely watching some videos might not help much.
Old 03-03-24, 06:17 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

But it would make sense to give us some photos of your crank, the stripped threads, etc., at this point. The fact that you're still confused about what happened indicates that merely watching some videos might not help much.
That just plays an ad for me and then stops
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-03-24, 06:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Puzzling. Here's the search phrase I used:

how to use a cotterless crank extractor tool
Old 03-03-24, 07:08 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
You might have to scroll down past the ad. There’s a Park Tool video of Calvin removing a crank arm that’s been cut away so you can see the crank puller in action.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-03-24, 10:58 PM
Heat88

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Trakhak;23173959]From a 10-second YouTube search (a.k.a. Let Me Google That For You).

But it would make sense to give us some photos of your crank, the stripped threads, etc., at this point. The fact that you're still confused about what happened indicates that merely watching some videos might not help much.[/QUOTE
I'm not confused about what happened. I'm confused by those questions. They're vague. One suggestion was that I stripped the threads just by turning the puller with the crescent wrench. :confused:

I was thinking about taking off the chain rings, but then I saw that the second one won't slide off the arm. Its behind the edge of the arm. :sad:

Ok. Here's the pictures. Why do you need pictures of the threads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20240303_233322126.jpg (2.30 MB, 46 views)
IMG_20240303_232829762.jpg (2.38 MB, 47 views)

Last edited by Heat88; 03-03-24 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 11:14 PM
Heat88

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Is this a bike made in the last 25 years? The sharp teeth on your chain rings might very likely be intentional. The chain falling off is probably for some other reason. However changing cranks you might unknowingly correct the cause of the chain drop and toss out a perfectly good crank.
No, its just the teeth on the big chain ring(which I use most of the time) that are sharp.
Attached Images
IMG_20240304_000933133.jpg (2.30 MB, 46 views)
Old 03-03-24, 11:35 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
[QUOTE=Heat88;23174266]
One suggestion was that I stripped the threads just by turning the puller with the crescent wrench. :confused:
Yes, if the part of the puller that threads into the crank is not bottomed out in the crank and tightened firmly down with a wrench, when you turn the other part of the puller that pushes on the spindle it ends up pulling out the threads instead. This is the reason the puller has a place for a wrench on the part that goes into the crank - to get it tight and to loosen it when done.
Old 03-04-24, 01:23 AM
choddo

I think this guy is less of a psychopath

Old 03-04-24, 01:25 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Heat88
I was thinking about taking off the chain rings, but then I saw that the second one won't slide off the arm. Its behind the edge of the arm. :sad:
Sometimes can still manoeuver it around the spider and off but on a triple, and that small ring isn’t going anywhere, doubtful.
Since you want to lose this crank anyway, I reckon it might be angle grinder time.
Old 03-04-24, 03:20 AM
Heat88

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was just thinking maybe you guys would know keywords that I don't know about. Like the type of crank or crankshaft it is.
Likes For Heat88:
Old 03-04-24, 03:57 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Either this guy is a troll or doesn't know how to search

Use a pickle fork

Try this older thread to find out

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...t-useless.html

Old 03-18-24, 08:11 PM
Heat88

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was able to get it with a crow bar! The funny thing is, right as I was about to give up, it calmly fell off. The second that it fell off I wasn't using every ounce of my strength. Maybe during previous attempts it moved a little.

Before that, after a previous attempt with the crow bar, I tried grinding it off with a grinding wheel on a drill and cutting it off with a hacksaw. They were working, but after a millimeter or two of progress, I ran out of energy. I also tried a soldering gun, but aluminum has a higher melting point than I thought LOL :embarassed:. I wanted to try a blow torch but I couldn't find my father's. I also thought of liquid nitrogen, which causes metal to shatter, which I don't have(Where do the extreme overclockers get it from, and what meterial is the plumbing in their cooling system made of that's immune to the freezing effects of liquid nitrogen?).

But now I have another problem. I can't get the other arm off(which I put back on because I had to use the bike) with the puller or the pedals off because I don't have leverage(I used a ratchet to put the black part on this time, so its on good and tight, and I have an Allen wrench instead of a crescent wrench this time to do the pulling). I don't know how I got the other arm off the first time. I had plenty of leverage the last time, but I don't remember where it came from.

I have a vise, but it's not mounted on anything because my father left the workbench it was mounted when we moved because he's downsizing in his old age. I'll try it for the pedals. It might be heavy enough for that eventhough it's not mounted. I might be able to put the vise on the floor underneath the pedal and have the arm push down on the vise for leverage to get the arm off.
Old 03-19-24, 12:07 AM
choddo

Don’t you just hold the crank arm itself for leverage?
Old 03-19-24, 11:11 AM
Heat88

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Don’t you just hold the crank arm itself for leverage?
I got everything removed, but this is embarrassing. I forgot to remove the bolt before I put the puller on.😂 :embarassed: :embarassed: That only happend this time by the way. Not the other times I used the puller.
Likes For Heat88: