Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

n+1 bug is striking again...what steel bike should I buy, ver. 12367965

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 02:34 PM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Trek Madone that I don't really like. I'm in the middle of pulling off the Shimano 6800 drivetrain (brifters, brakes, crank, BB, wheels) and swapping back on the 105 10sp. stuff. I'm selling the bike. I don't like the bike because I never felt "connected" to it. It's a fast bike and is comfortable, but when I ride it, the bike just "feels" sterile to me. Like it has not character. I bought it because I wanted to see what all the Carbon Fiber hype was all about and I've decided that although the bike "feels fast", I'm no faster on it than I am my Lynskey.

I don't "need" another bike, I just want another bike because, well, n+1 So, what I'm looking for is a Steel bike and I really want one with classic looks (think horizontal top tube). I'll be using the bike for general purpose duties like riding on the weekends, after work, get coffee, etc... It won't be a touring bike nor do I want a race bike. I tend to like a bit more of an upright ride. My rides tend to be 15 mi. on up. Most rides end up in the 25 - 30 mile range but occasionally go 60 - 70 mi. I'm not a fast rider nor do I care to be, I just love being out on my bike and if I'm slow, my partner and I don't care, it's nice to be out. On my terrain, I usually average ~ 15 mph.

The bikes I'm considering are the Gunnar Sport, Cielo (I think the cross one), and CoMotion. I picked those 3 because I really want an English blue bike with white panels and all 3 of those offer custom paint. I could buy vintage, but I'm having a hard time finding anything in that color in my size. (I'm 5'6" and all of my bikes are sized either small or 52). I'm not opposed to stock colors, but I do NOT want black. If it's not English blue I want wild like lime green, hot pink, retina searing yellow, something like that. Cielo and CoMotion are in the $2K range for frame and fork. The Gunnar Sport will be about $1500 by the time I get all the paint and fork options done.

I really was wanting to spend under $1K for frame and fork so I thought I'd turn to you all for suggestions. I know of Soma and Surly and those are cheaper. I'm thinking I want an American built frame but not sure if it HAS to be. That said, I think if I opt for an American built frame, I think I'm not going to get anything under $1K.

Sorry for the long post, anything that I'm missing?
Old 04-18-16, 02:53 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by simplybao
I don't "need" another bike, I just want another bike because, well, n+1
If you sell the first bike and buy another, wouldn't that really be n-1+1, or just n?

Old 04-18-16, 02:56 PM
simplybao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If you sell the first bike and buy another, wouldn't that really be n-1+1, or just n?

Hmmm, I wonder if my partner would see it that way? LOL. His comment was, clearly you don't need another one if you're getting rid of one that is perfectly fine, LOL.
Old 04-18-16, 05:12 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
All-City Mr. Pink, or Space Horse.

Or Surly Pacer.
Old 04-18-16, 07:12 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
New, I'd recommend the Bianchi L'Eroica, Columbus steel frame, lugged construction by the Bianchi craftsmen, special Campagnolo 3 arm spider crankset, down tube friction shifters, limited production Brooks leather saddle, 10 speeds on the rear cassette, double on front, special production Dia Compe centerpull brakes, Vittoria tubular tires, etc, etc, etc. If I had $3500.00, it would be my choice for an N+1, period.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-18-16, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I am certainly a fan of Co-Motion and would highly recommend them as they did a fantastic job on my touring frame but I wouldn't scoff at a Gunnar because they are made by Waterford who sort of originally was Schwinn Paramount which is good stuff and a great lineage to have especially seeing all the awesome stuff they have made over the years. If I had the cashola I would go for lugged to the nines Bishop, Waterford or Demon but on a budget Co-Mo or Gunnar ain't a bad deal.

Nothing against Cielo at all just not as excited by their work but still quality stuff and nothing to scoff at.
Old 04-18-16, 08:09 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Marinoni has some nice steel models and will do custom paint. Canadian made, reasonable prices.
Old 04-19-16, 08:40 AM
simplybao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
Marinoni has some nice steel models and will do custom paint. Canadian made, reasonable prices.
I looked at their website and it's in French. Do they sell in the US? I LOVE that Bianchi, but I'm not sure I want to go FULL vintage with the downtube shifters. I have a Shimano 6800 drivetrain already. I still need a stem, handlebar, saddle, BB, and headset and I'm set for the bike -- I have the rest. So all I'm looking for is the frame and fork. I do like the look of the Bianchi Tip Corsa though. So pretty...that may have to be what I get.
Old 04-19-16, 08:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You could go vintage and modernize the bike. That way you can get a frame from a US custom builder and stay under budget if you shop around. You could also shop around for a high end vintage Trek or a Schwinn paramount as well.

There is a long thread about modernizing vintage bikes. Not a big deal as you are going from 126 mm to 130 in the rear.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-19-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-19-16, 09:33 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Mercian or Bob Jackson from the UK?
Old 04-19-16, 09:41 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I really was wanting to spend under $1K for frame and fork so I thought I'd turn to you all for suggestions. I know of Soma and Surly and those are cheaper. I'm thinking I want an American built frame but not sure if it HAS to be. That said, I think if I opt for an American built frame, I think I'm not going to get anything under $1K.
You're going to be hard pushed to get a US made frame for under $1K, as you figured out. You might want to consider a Taiwanese built steel frame, if you're budget constrained. I have a Ritchey Road Logic, which I got for under $1K (frame + fork) which I honestly believe to be one of the best steel production frames out there.

It's not "English Blue", which even as an English person I'll admit I had no idea what it was. Turns out it's sort of like a dark version of Celeste, who knew?

I recently bought a cross frame from Black Mountain Cycles, which turned out to be a really nice frame ($595 for frame and fork). They do steel road frames also, the current batch of which are Eddy Merckx inspired orange:

Yeah, I know, not blue!
Old 04-19-16, 09:45 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
while there is no "cure" for the N+1 bug, there is treatment for the most common symptom. The treatment is however, only temporary, the bug is known to return from time to time. Each time the treatment puts it on hold for awhile.
Old 04-19-16, 10:31 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I looked at their website and it's in French. Do they sell in the US?
There is also an English language website: Cycles Marinoni

Over the winter I was thinking of buying a frame from them, but in the end opted for a vintage Columbus SL frame that I built up with modern parts. Anyhow, I don't think Marinoni has a US distributor at the moment, but they're very easy to deal with on the phone or by email and will ship to the US.
Old 04-19-16, 10:41 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What about this blue and orange?

I'm hoping to have one of these in the future.
Old 04-19-16, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mercian. King of Mercia Complete Bikes UK
Old 04-19-16, 11:07 AM
simplybao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some great options! Fairdale and Black Mountain looks like great options! I looked at a Kona model, but I guess in the end, I don't really want a "mass market" bike. So many great choices, keep them coming!
Old 04-19-16, 11:27 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
What about this blue and orange?

I'm hoping to have one of these in the future.
I'm sure you are.

BTW I just noticed that they spelled butted with three Ts.
Old 04-19-16, 11:49 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
lol, that's funny. I like their vibe.

I rode with a racer this weekend that sells bikes in Austin. He is a die-hard carbon racer guy that sells and rides the big names, but he also sells Fairdale and really loves the Goodship. He said it has a special quality to it that people are excited about and that it is making a lot of converts down there. One guy racing and winning on one in the Cat 3/4 group he said.
Old 04-19-16, 07:24 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
lol, that's funny. I like their vibe.

I rode with a racer this weekend that sells bikes in Austin. He is a die-hard carbon racer guy that sells and rides the big names, but he also sells Fairdale and really loves the Goodship. He said it has a special quality to it that people are excited about and that it is making a lot of converts down there. One guy racing and winning on one in the Cat 3/4 group he said.
Fairdale have an excellent vibe about them and have some very attractive bikes and frames in their range.

Wishing good things for them.
Old 04-20-16, 07:09 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I hear Breezer Venturi frames I going for cheap now at Bike Wagon. Modern steel, and it's blue!
Old 04-20-16, 12:33 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
They do steel road frames also, the current batch of which are Eddy Merckx inspired orange:

Yeah, I know, not blue!
I really do like the looks of this bike. What do you think that frameset weighs?
Old 04-20-16, 12:53 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just called him. Seems like a nice guy. He said a 56 frameset with an uncut steerer tube weighs 6lbs 3oz. or 6.1875 pounds. $685 shipped with a Cane Creek 40 headset. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 04-20-16, 01:04 PM
dr_lha

I just called him. Seems like a nice guy. He said a 56 frameset with an uncut steerer tube weighs 6lbs 3oz. or 6.1875 pounds. $685 shipped with a Cane Creek 40 headset. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Now I've gone and done it.

Yeah, Mike's great to deal with on the phone and he also responds to emails very quickly. I got a 58cm cross frame and it weighed what he said it would (5lb for the frame, 2.4 lbs for the fork). The road frames are lighter than the cross frames. You'd be paying $10 less than I did because of being in a closer timezone, as I also got him to install a Cane Creek 40 on mine. It's a really nice frame, the quality of the paint and welds is excellent and it went together easily.
Old 04-20-16, 01:10 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just compiling my list of next bikes in case mine disappear in a central Texas tsunami or something

Ritchey Road Logic
Fairdale Goodship
Black Mountain Cycles Road

The list continues

I would like to build one from the ground up just for the fun of it. I have about 80% of the parts laying around that I'd need minus the frame. But I certainly don't need another bike.
Old 04-20-16, 01:11 PM
dr_lha

But I certainly don't need another bike.
None of us do! Still...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.