Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calibrate power meter on smart trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 08:55 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

So I purchased this trainer late last year, Elite Qubo Power Smart B+ Trainer, and I have to admit that it's been pretty nice to have something to train with when I can't get on the road. However, I have suspected for quite some time that the virtual power it's saying I'm putting out is off. When I sprint it says I'm putting out 1800+ watts which isn't possible. I've never put out more than 1200 according to my PowerTap. It is much easier to hold 350watts for 5 minutes on the trainer than on the road; by a long shot.

So with that said, is there a way to calibrate the power on this trainer? And if so, how do I do it? I can't find anything worth looking at on the Elite website. I feel that my training on the trainer is suffering since I can't trust the numbers that I'm training off of. I'll be getting a Kickr before next winter, but this needs to fixed before then.

In need of some help, advice.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 05-12-17, 08:57 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
What software are you using? Use the Powertap as the power source and let the software control the trainer, then you don't have to worry about the stupid numbers the trainer spits out (the Kickr will have the same issue btw.)
Old 05-12-17, 08:59 AM
PepeM

Wait, that one isn't even controllable, is it? So virtual power? Wouldn't bother trying to get any accuracy out of that, just use the PT.
Old 05-12-17, 09:00 AM
BigPoser

Right now I'm using Zwift exclusively but have been looking at trying TrainerRoad as well later this year. Unfortunately this trainer doesn't control resistance.
Old 05-12-17, 09:01 AM
PepeM

Use the power meter. Even when you get the Kickr, the numbers will be different.
Old 05-12-17, 09:37 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by PepeM
Use the power meter. Even when you get the Kickr, the numbers will be different.
I can certainly do that, but was trying to avoid my race wheels for my trainer. I run tubeless and I either have to run tubeless on my trainer, which will wear my tire much faster, or constantly switch tires, which would suck.
Old 05-12-17, 09:45 AM
PepeM

Understandable.

If you want to give it a go, you could try increasing/decreasing tire pressure and/or the tension knob on the trainer until the numbers match those given by your power meter. You might be able to get it close. You could also try different power curves to see if another one matches better.
Old 05-12-17, 09:51 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by PepeM
Understandable.

If you want to give it a go, you could try increasing/decreasing tire pressure and/or the tension knob on the trainer until the numbers match those given by your power meter. You might be able to get it close. You could also try different power curves to see if another one matches better.

Yea that's another gripe I have is that there isn't a tension adjustment. Your body weight is what keeps the tire planted. However when sprinting, or out of the saddle efforts, I get wheel spin .

I didn't think of selecting a different trainer from the menu though. Maybe I'll give that a go and let some air out of the tire.