Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Folding/ flat-packable rear rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 10:21 AM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Being spoiled by Folding Rear Rack 2015 Cro-Moly on my 20" BF tandem, I did not anticipate how much pain would it be to pack the regular rear rack... it does not fit into my ritchey breakaway case and I would've need a second check-in bag to take it with me (the carry one fits two panniers perfectly but not much else). Fortunately, my buddy had space in his bag and I am saved this time. But I would definitely like to either buy a rack that folds or disassembles or find a way to fit the BF rack on the 700c bike. I understand that there is a weight-limit that results from the rack being packable but 55lb limit for BF rack is more than enough for me...
Any suggestions?
Old 07-24-19, 12:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I am not sure if Racktime has a distributor in USA at this time. They used to but for a while they did not. But you should be able to order from Europe if they do not distribute here at this time.

Two models, the difference is that one of them has bolts on the plate that attaches to the dropouts, the other one is welded, depends on how far you want to break it down.
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...ct/foldit-fix/
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...it-adjustable/

Lots of little bolts and nuts to get lost, bring spares.
Old 07-24-19, 12:05 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
i've got an easydo brand rear rack with bolt on legs, similar to (almost a clone) of the racktime in the link. rated for 25kg. seems solid enough.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ra...x-Rack-p51682/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racktime-Fo...0/113334633100
Old 07-24-19, 02:16 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am not sure if Racktime has a distributor in USA at this time. They used to but for a while they did not. But you should be able to order from Europe if they do not distribute here at this time.

Two models, the difference is that one of them has bolts on the plate that attaches to the dropouts, the other one is welded, depends on how far you want to break it down.
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...ct/foldit-fix/
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...it-adjustable/

Lots of little bolts and nuts to get lost, bring spares.
I've used the foldit adjustable and thought it worked well enough (at least for a 1-week tour). But, yes, bring spare bolts always.
Old 07-24-19, 08:01 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I bought a Blackburn Local, but then didn't use it. I did practice with it though, both front and rear.
Old 07-24-19, 10:41 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Riceowl (wacky name but intriguing) I bought a used bike that came with a foldit, and despite my skepticism, it is a reasonably stiff rack---given the number of bolt points and only two vertical supports, it does a great job.
My wife used it with pretty full rear panniers and it performed fine. I checked the bolts regularly, but was good.
It should for your requirements for space saving.

One to consider anyway.
Old 07-25-19, 09:51 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I had this problem with my S&S bike, and I solved it by using a seat-post-mounted rack. Mine is a Topeak rack with optional side panels (https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...ual-side-frame). It works, but it's not ideal. You have to be careful not to overload it, and even when not overloaded, it doesn't seem the best way to carry any amount of gear. But with a small enough amount of gear, it does the job and packs easily. Still, if you can pare your gear down enough, a seat bag would be a lighter option, and if you need/want to carry more than goes in a seat bag, then I thing some of the folding options already mentioned would be better. I like my seatpost-mounted rack for ease of packing and ease of set-up, but for sturdiness, I've been considering something along the lines of the foldit.
Old 07-28-19, 07:00 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
Try the Nitto R14 it folds fairly flat

Old 07-29-19, 04:25 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for your responces thus far. Nitto R14 looks neat but at $150+ it is a bit over my budget. Foldit looks like a more reasonable choice. However, I may found an alternative solution. I can make my BF rack mount but it is tilted 30 degrees backward. It held pretty well as is and ortliebs stay on it. But I will search for a shorter arms
options or drill another set of holes to straighten it in a longer term.
Old 07-29-19, 10:10 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by riceowls
..I may found an alternative solution. I can make my BF rack mount but it is tilted 30 degrees backward. It held pretty well as is and ortliebs stay on it. But I will search for a shorter arms options or drill another set of holes to straighten it in a longer term.
hie thee hither to a home depot! check out the stainless hardware in the rack/shelving section.
pre-drilled mending plates come in various lengths.......

Old 07-29-19, 10:19 PM
riceowls

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
hie thee hither to a home depot! check out the stainless hardware in the rack/shelving section.
pre-drilled mending plates come in various lengths.......

Awesome!!did you need to bend these a bit or they run parallel?
Old 07-29-19, 10:29 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by riceowls
Awesome!!did you need to bend these a bit or they run parallel?
no bending required. the rack is less than 1cm narrower than the stays. if much wider, it wouldn't be too much trouble to bend the steel plates. you could also use aluminium strips - they hold the rack in place without supporting the full weight, but you'll have surface corrosion.

not sure about the cost, a couple bucks maybe? cheaper than buying shorter replacement arms.