Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Way too many flats

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Way too many flats

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 08:33 PM
totheDude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I haven't gone back and read every one of your posts so forgive me if I've missed something.

Are these tires the ones that came on the bike when you bought it? I seem to recall you saying they had a loose fit. If so, buy new ones.
I think that this is a good suggestion.
Old 08-17-23, 08:34 PM
totheDude

Originally Posted by soyabean
Since you don't know what else to do, this is where you go visit your local bike shop and have them take care of it once and for all.
I am stubborn. This would be my last resort. I am not ready to give up, yet.
Old 08-17-23, 08:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by totheDude
I think you maybe on to something. An incompatibility between the tires, the rims, and the tube.
You're misreading me.

It's not that those can't work, it's that it's problematic, and needs extra attention to detail, and focus on eliminating the dead air space in the rim, adjacent to the valve.

If you follow the instructions I laid out, this will be behind you forever.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-17-23, 09:11 PM
totheDude

And today, the kicker. Another flat. Same tire. Same side towards the rim, another clean cut:

Tire was inflated to 35 PSI.

Well, it's now clear that those Chinese Kenda tubes are complete POS. Ordered 4 more Bell tubes.
Old 08-17-23, 09:57 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Kenda tubes are actually Taiwanese made in Taiwan, I use them all the time fine in my flipped bikes without issues because I know I installed them properly.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 08-17-23, 10:20 PM
totheDude

Originally Posted by soyabean
Kenda tubes are actually Taiwanese made in Taiwan, I use them all the time fine in my flipped bikes without issues because I know I installed them properly.
Maybe. But my son and I have a lot of practice on installing tubes now. I doubt we do anything wrong. Of course we push the stem out and try to keep it perpendicular to the rim. Once the tire is in the rim, there's not much else one does than inflating it. We are not cutting the tube while mounting it, or we would hear it when we inflate it.
Old 08-17-23, 11:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I forgot to mention a very basic trick that I always do. I always pre-inflate the tube before I install it. And the correct pressure to that is very, very easy IF you use presta valves. (It is so low I probably do not have anything that would tell me the pressure.) I pre-inflate with my lungs. Yup, uncrew the lock on the valve and blow into the tube as hard as I can. Screw the lock shut. Perfect for issue free tube installs.

With Schraeder? Two pump strokes? No idea. (I certainly cannot inflate by mouth against that spring.

I have found that the pre-inflation greatly simplifies getting the tube un-pinched and the tube settling in without any wrinkles. On some tires and rims I have to let some of that air out to get the last bit of bead over but that is OK. The pre-inflation has already done its thing. And that is yet another reason to go presta.
Old 08-18-23, 12:16 AM
totheDude

I forgot to mention a very basic trick that I always do. I always pre-inflate the tube before I install it.
Yes, we do that.

And that is yet another reason to go presta.
I agree that presta valves may be better, but in this case I don't see how the valve itself affects these flats. Are you implying that tubes with presta valves are somehow better than tubes with Schrader valves?
Old 08-18-23, 09:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
As you can see, the cut is some distance away from the stem, so this was not the cause of the flats.
I can only see if I look. And this time I didn't look close enough to notice that it wasn't at the base of the valve stem.

Do you use levers when you put the tire back on? Don't. And be certain that the tube isn't getting caught between the rim and the tire as you roll the bead over the rim.

I had a rash of flats I couldn't figure out one time quite a while back. Sadly it turned out to be my fault and I'd gotten careless.
Old 08-18-23, 08:30 PM
totheDude

We try to be careful, but it would be a challenge for my 12 year old to replace a tube without making use of the levers.
Old 08-19-23, 10:28 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Levers are fine.

Velox type cloth tape should be the whole inner width of the rim, not just down in the center channel. That would likely fix your problem. Pull it tight and it will conform to the channel shape.

Right:

Wrong:

Before you do anything else, make sure the rim isn't cracked where the slit keeps happening. A crack that is hard to see will expend under air pressure to form a gap. Probably not the problem, though.

Last edited by Kontact; 08-19-23 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-19-23, 11:47 AM
totheDude

Originally Posted by Kontact
Levers are fine.

Velox type cloth tape should be the whole inner width of the rim, not just down in the center channel. That would likely fix your problem. Pull it tight and it will conform to the channel shape.

I agree. Putting on wider rim tape is going to be our next move.
Old 08-19-23, 03:59 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
(I certainly cannot inflate by mouth against that spring.)
Heh... I've done that using a pointy eye tooth to depress the valve!
Old 08-20-23, 09:00 PM
totheDude

Ok, here we go. 19mm tape in the rims:

As you can see, it was very hard to keep the tape centered in the rim. In hindsight, I should have bought the 22mm tape. Anyway, no more gaps now.
Installed new Bell tube. Let's see how this week goes.
Old 08-21-23, 10:55 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
This might not be good advice for those who grew up in antiseptic environments. I grew up around cats, horses and 4 siblings. Hygienists would have been horrified but I love the results! Nothing on the valve stem is going to harm me. (But no, I don't share my stems with strangers.) On topic because this simple step has saved me so many pinch flats.
I hope the talc they apply to new tubes doesn't have asbestos traces for you to inhale or swallow. The (presumed) sheep, cow and horse excrement that my wheels throw up on farm roads never did me any harm. If you have a pointy canine tooth you may be able to depress the core of a Schrader valve.
Old 08-21-23, 11:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I hope the talc they apply to new tubes doesn't have asbestos traces for you to inhale or swallow. The (presumed) sheep, cow and horse excrement that my wheels throw up on farm roads never did me any harm. If you have a pointy canine tooth you may be able to depress the core of a Schrader valve.

I've got 65 or so year old OEMs in my mouth. (I forget when I got them. My bookkeeping wasn't very good back then.) No way are they dealing with Schraders! Warranty ran out a long time ago and I am trying to keep those 3rd party ones on the store shelves as long as possible.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-21-23, 08:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I've got 65 or so year old OEMs in my mouth. (I forget when I got them. My bookkeeping wasn't very good back then.)
Upper canines usually erupt around 10-12 years of age. Wide range, though.
Old 08-22-23, 10:30 AM
grumpus

Once the tire is in the rim, there's not much else one does than inflating it.
I beg to differ - once both beads are in the rim, with the tube at minimal pressure I check all around that the tube is inside the beads and the valve stem is pressed in. Then add partial pressure, check the bead is seated evenly all around and the valve stem is central in its hole; if not, manipulate the tyre until it is (you might need to reduce pressure in order to do this). Then add full pressure and check again; if necessary reduce pressure and manipulate again. Finally you're done: bounce the wheel on the ground and congratulate yourself on doing a good job.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 08-22-23, 04:21 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Update: it lasted 21 days. We had another flat on Thursday. Same rear wheel, same side (facing the rim), and about 2 inch away from the valve stem, corresponding to a spoke bump.
Now ordered a better Kenda tube. The saga continues.
I have had many tear issues thru the years with conventional Schrader valves. But once I went to locking Schrader valve tubes from Continental and Schwabe, no more issues.
Old 09-01-23, 09:41 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by George Mann
I have had many tear issues thru the years with conventional Schrader valves. But once I went to locking Schrader valve tubes from Continental and Schwabe, no more issues.
That's odd - I avoid fitting locknuts on valve stems, because they make it more likely that the tube will be stressed by creep. Without the locknut you can see if there's creep, from the angle of the stem, and the fact it can move means it's less stressed when movement does occur.
Old 09-01-23, 09:59 AM
George Mann

That's odd - I avoid fitting locknuts on valve stems, because they make it more likely that the tube will be stressed by creep. Without the locknut you can see if there's creep, from the angle of the stem, and the fact it can move means it's less stressed when movement does occur.
The lock nut (finger tight) plus the thick valve base prevents any movement.
Old 09-01-23, 10:15 AM
grumpus

The lock nut (finger tight) plus the thick valve base prevents any movement.
Which is precisely why I don't fit it.
Old 09-01-23, 10:26 AM
George Mann

Which is precisely why I don't fit it.
But you just said you were trying to prevent creep. This is what the locknut is for.
Old 09-01-23, 11:08 AM
grumpus

But you just said you were trying to prevent creep. This is what the locknut is for.
No, I said I want to be aware of creep, so I can deal with it before damage is caused. Locking the valve stem doesn't prevent creep more than a little, it just hides it. If you want a mechanical means of preventing creep you can fit rim locks as used on some motorcycles, but I find it usually happens slowly and is easy, if slightly annoying, to deal with.
Old 09-01-23, 11:16 AM
George Mann

No, I said I want to be aware of creep, so I can deal with it before damage is caused. Locking the valve stem doesn't prevent creep more than a little, it just hides it. If you want a mechanical means of preventing creep you can fit rim locks as used on some motorcycles, but I find it usually happens slowly and is easy, if slightly annoying, to deal with.
It seems like you are confusing two issues. Motorcycles are ridden at much higher speeds, with much higher levels of friction occuring.

I have yet to see any issues with creep when using the proper locknut fitted Schrader valve tubes on a bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.